Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2021, 11:10 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Recommendations for Sequoia National Park?

The wife is finally retiring mid-September and I'd like to take our Class-C up to Sequoia as one of the DW's bucket-list items is to see the redwoods. Especially to see General Sherman and Grant!

Question - I've not been up there before. Any campground recommendations? Our coach is 25' so size isn't an issue. Prefer full hookups but at least electric and water at minimum. Thanks!
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2021, 11:21 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJeff View Post
The wife is finally retiring mid-September and I'd like to take our Class-C up to Sequoia as one of the DW's bucket-list items is to see the redwoods. Especially to see General Sherman and Grant!

Question - I've not been up there before. Any campground recommendations? Our coach is 25' so size isn't an issue. Prefer full hookups but at least electric and water at minimum. Thanks!
You may wish to check with Google to find campgrounds that have electricity and water or more. A brief look indicates the best bet is along highway 198, but there are others as well. All private. No national park grounds have electric and water that I could find, again, on a brief scan.

There are some free to use RV review websites that also make it convenient to search for campgrounds with the facilities you want.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:38 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As Ljwt330 mentioned it's probably best to stay along highway 198 and I'd be trying to get reservations now as things are going to be crowded this summer.

Are you a member of the Elks? They have an RV park in Visalia which would be great for you.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:42 AM   #4

Quote:
bucket-list items is to see the redwoods.
Not meaning to be picky, the Sequoia’s are magnificent but they are not ‘the Redwoods’. The Redwoods are located along hwy 101 in northern Calif (south of Eureka). If you have time you should check out the Redwood Parks in that area.
TiffinUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 04:19 PM   #5

Be sure to check out the park's website for lots of good information, including a park map, things to do, special alerts and road information, etc.

https://www.nps.gov/seki/index.htm

This is Redwood National Park: https://www.nps.gov/redw/index.htm

Lots of huge redwoods on 101 around Redcrest, CA and this is the perfect RV park to stay. Lots of easy hiking there to see the big ones.

https://ancientredwoods.net/

Muir Woods National Monument just north of San Francisco is also a great place to see old growth coast redwoods. Some nice tours of San Francisco can be had.

https://www.nps.gov/muwo/index.htm
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:45 PM   #6

I love Sequoia and will be going back in a few weeks tp stay at Upper Stony Creek.

I don't know of any locations in the park with any hook ups. We Have stayed at Lodgepole, Dorst, and Eshom (not really in the park). We have visited Princess, Stony Creek (upper and lower), and the campgrounds in Kings Canyon along Highway 180. We have also stayed at Riverbend RV Park (full hook up) and would stay there again. Riverbend is low altitude and very hot in the summer. From that point it is about an hour and roughly 7000 ft climb to get to grant grove village.

The entry into the park is much easier from the north along highway 180. I drove my truck from Lodgepole to Crystal Cavern (nearer to the south end) and have no desire to tow my TT on that piece of road. I would consider staying in Three Rivers at one of the RV Parks if I had a towed car to drive around.

Personally, I would stay in the park at least a few days. Maybe stay one night at Riverbend, go into the park for 2 nights, then back Riverbend or another FHU park. It is another solid hour to get to the end of 180 from Grant Grove Village so if you stayed at RB it would be 4 hours of driving. The Grant Grove Village is really central to the things to see in the park, IMO.

One area I have not spent much time is Hume Lake but I don't think there are any sites wit any hook ups.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 09:25 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We stayed here a week last fall, not what you’d call a resort but well situated for accessing both National Parks …

Sequoia RV Park
35671 East Kings Canyon Rd
Dunlap, CA 93621

https://sequoiarvpark.weeblysite.com/

Very nice on-site managers/hosts.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 01:40 PM   #8

"The entry into the park is much easier from the north along highway 180."

Amen to that! The southern entrance will win you a host of new enemies with its switchbacks and steepness. That said there are some nice campgrounds just outside the park from which it doesn't take too long to commute to the park.
Old 05-25-2021, 06:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffinUser View Post
Not meaning to be picky, the Sequoia’s are magnificent but they are not ‘the Redwoods’. The Redwoods are located along hwy 101 in northern Calif (south of Eureka). If you have time you should check out the Redwood Parks in that area.

Agree, the redwoods are magnificent. Sadly, can't just pop over from Sequoia NP. It is another 400+ miles. But, then again, that is why folks have motor homes!
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 06:58 PM   #10

The park itself has a length limitation due to the switchbacks on the road. We stay in Visalia and drove our toad to the parks.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:06 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Thanks for all this. BTW, I was in "bonehead" mode when I mentioned redwoods. It's actually Sequoias we're after but redwoods should also be on the list.

Question: I tentatively plan on arriving around the 1st week October. Assuming we stay at one of the RV parks around Visalia, how many days would you guys recommend we stay in order to do a leisurely visit and see what's there to see?

I liked the recommendation about staying a few nights inside the park and bookend a couple nights outside the park in full-hookup facilities. However, the downside would be decamping and then setting up, to decamp again. Again, on the other side, I guess the drive in is about 90 minutes both ways, so there's that.
Old 05-26-2021, 03:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
We have also stayed at Riverbend RV Park (full hook up) and would stay there again. Riverbend is low altitude and very hot in the summer. From that point it is about an hour and roughly 7000 ft climb to get to grant grove village.
I stayed at riverbend a few years back and those were some roooomy pull thru's unless they changed the layout.....

Old 05-26-2021, 10:29 PM   #13

Smile

Quote:

We are right now visiting sequoia and Kings Canyon NP staying in Three Rivers Ca. at Sequoia Campground and Lodge about 8 miles from Sequoia entrance on CA198 which turns into the Generals HWY inside the park, I think there is some length restrictions on parts of this hwy inside the park. We will be here for 4 days, the RV park is nice and quiet a bit crowded but meets all of our needs I would stay here again. Our site is a pull through right on a nice little creek with full hookups. As far as the parks unless you are big on doing lots of hikes 2 to 3 days is plenty of time IMO.
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:38 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh2013 View Post
We are right now visiting sequoia and Kings Canyon NP staying in Three Rivers Ca. at Sequoia Campground and Lodge about 8 miles from Sequoia entrance on CA198 which turns into the Generals HWY inside the park, I think there is some length restrictions on parts of this hwy inside the park. We will be here for 4 days, the RV park is nice and quiet a bit crowded but meets all of our needs I would stay here again. Our site is a pull through right on a nice little creek with full hookups. As far as the parks unless you are big on doing lots of hikes 2 to 3 days is plenty of time IMO.
Thank you for this. So, are you using a toad then to drive in to and out of the National Park each day?

I just checked out Reservations.Gov and it looks like there's no way to make reservations for a spot inside the National Park this far in advance - I'd like to make reservations there mid-Sept to early Oct.

What do you all do? Wait until the month prior and then jump on the website? Is there a specific day/date that I should target to try to get something for that timeslot?

Tags
national