Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2017, 06:41 PM   #1

Recommendations for Tools and Spare Parts

We are leaving soon for an extended road trip from NC to Alaska via Colorado and home down the Pacific Coast and southern tier of states. Our Sunstar is a 2016 so it is new with only 4000 mile on it.

What type of tools and spares parts should I carry? I've heard some say to bring a spare tire, but it seems like overkill.

Thanks,

David
doolinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2017, 07:04 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Recommendations for Tools and Spare Parts

We do carry a spare tire underneath in the spare tire carrier. Without that dedicated space I wouldn't know where else it could possibly fit.

We also carry a set of home owner tools in a fitted case purchased from Lowe's, and a mechanic's tool set from Craftsman. They have served all my on the road repair needs for the past four years that were within the range of my skills.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
We do carry a spare tire underneath in the spare tire carrier. Without that dedicated space I wouldn't know where else it could possibly fit.

We also carry a set of home owner tools in a fitted case purchased from Lowe's, and a mechanic's tool set from Craftsman. They have served all my on the road repair needs for the past four years that were within the range of my skills.

Thanks. Good information.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:49 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I carry way too many, in fact I have 5 torque wrenches alone! I emptied out a lot of my Craftsman roll around tool chest and added a 305 piece set from Harbor Freight. Even have an air impact wrench and ¾" socket set. Yep, way too many since I could, but don't plan on, rebuild the engine. I need to pare down and carry a few tools, a towing policy and a high limit CC!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I carry way too many, in fact I have 5 torque wrenches alone! I emptied out a lot of my Craftsman roll around tool chest and added a 305 piece set from Harbor Freight. Even have an air impact wrench and ¾" socket set. Yep, way too many since I could, but don't plan on, rebuild the engine. I need to pare down and carry a few tools, a towing policy and a high limit CC!

Way more than I know how to use. Sounds like you're prepared.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:25 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with most of the above recommendations. In addition I carry extra oil, serpentine belt, new wiper blade insert, road safety triangles and flares.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:29 PM   #7

Hi - the issue about a trip to Alaska is time... Anything is available, but it could take a week or 2 for specialty parts to reach you... So, the more time/fewer commitments you have, the less you need to take! One thing we did "take" was a road service plan that had unlimited towing to someplace that could fix our rig. Luckily, never needed to use it! We did have a spare (we were travelling in a 'B' at the time), and did have to use it. Do you have a TPMS on your rig? That trip convinced us we needed one - been using TST ever since. We did carry a spare serpentine belt - figured that would leave us stranded, but if we had one could get it installed about anywhere. Did take a DIY windshield chip repair with us (got a chip on the trip, but it was in the Lower 48 on our return!), and a tire plug kit (you can be multi-miles from help and get a 2nd flat...). Will you have a toad? That makes a difference on what you may need to fix... Usual selection of hand tools (as long as you are comfortable using them). Suggest silicone tape - can be used for repairs to about any type of pipe except exhaust (plumbing/radiator/fuel). Plenty of "zip" (cable) ties - can hold anything together for a while! Hope that helps!

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggenrock View Post
Hi - the issue about a trip to Alaska is time... Anything is available, but it could take a week or 2 for specialty parts to reach you... So, the more time/fewer commitments you have, the less you need to take! One thing we did "take" was a road service plan that had unlimited towing to someplace that could fix our rig. Luckily, never needed to use it! We did have a spare (we were travelling in a 'B' at the time), and did have to use it. Do you have a TPMS on your rig? That trip convinced us we needed one - been using TST ever since. We did carry a spare serpentine belt - figured that would leave us stranded, but if we had one could get it installed about anywhere. Did take a DIY windshield chip repair with us (got a chip on the trip, but it was in the Lower 48 on our return!), and a tire plug kit (you can be multi-miles from help and get a 2nd flat...). Will you have a toad? That makes a difference on what you may need to fix... Usual selection of hand tools (as long as you are comfortable using them). Suggest silicone tape - can be used for repairs to about any type of pipe except exhaust (plumbing/radiator/fuel). Plenty of "zip" (cable) ties - can hold anything together for a while! Hope that helps!

We are taking our time on this trip. We're retired and not in a hurry. That said, I don't want to be stuck for too long.

I am having a TPMS installed today on my MH and toad. I plan to have some extra belts and hoses for both MH and CRV.

The windshield repair kit sounds like a good idea. I had already thought about the tire repair kit. Zip ties is a new idea, but I can see the value in them.

We've got towing and tire replacement coverage. I'm trying to mitigate everything I can think of, but expect something will happen due to the trip length.

Thanks for the tips.

David
Old 04-11-2017, 08:11 PM   #9

How do I post a message?
McConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:54 PM   #10

Good quality replacement plug for the shore cord. Worn receptacles in pedestals can cause bad connections and heat and damage the plug. Home Depot has the Leviton TT30 plug at about $12 and having one on hand can save the day. Same goes if you trip over it and jerk it out and damage it, etc. I also carry a receptacle. Hopefully campground will have someone to replace it. Also my generator uses the same receptacle in the cord compartment for the shore cord to plug into (no xfer switch here, just a manual plug it in) so it too can be replaced if needed.

Water hose gaskets for the water hook up, spare light bulbs if you haven't converted to LED yet.

Charles
Old 04-12-2017, 10:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by McConnell View Post
How do I post a message?
You mean a PRIVATE MESSAGE? Click on the name at the LH side and a popup will open and click on the "send a private message"

Charles
Old 04-13-2017, 05:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
Good quality replacement plug for the shore cord. Worn receptacles in pedestals can cause bad connections and heat and damage the plug. Home Depot has the Leviton TT30 plug at about $12 and having one on hand can save the day. Same goes if you trip over it and jerk it out and damage it, etc. I also carry a receptacle. Hopefully campground will have someone to replace it. Also my generator uses the same receptacle in the cord compartment for the shore cord to plug into (no xfer switch here, just a manual plug it in) so it too can be replaced if needed.

Water hose gaskets for the water hook up, spare light bulbs if you haven't converted to LED yet.

Charles

Great idea about the replacement plug. I hadn't considered that. It will go on the list.

Tags
alaska, alaska trip, parts