Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2020, 09:00 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Recording actual cost?

What do use to record you actual trip cost? I was thinking some kind of spreadsheet. RV Trip Wizard works well for planning, but not so well for detailed actual cost.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2020, 09:47 AM   #2

I used to keep a logbook. After a few years I just go with the flow a d only record maintenance.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
I used to keep a logbook. After a few years I just go with the flow a d only record maintenance.
I do about the same.

I use a small spiral notebook kept in a plastic bag along with receipts for parts/work. I do all the work myself except alignments. This notebook stays with the RV even when it's sold.

On trips I keep track of expenditures and mileage by saving all receipts in a plastic bag with notes if needed. To keep track of mileage I write the current mileage from the odometer on each fuel receipt when I fill. When we get home I get them all out and figure cost and MPG for the trip. I then enter these figures into the spiral notebook.

That's the way I've done it since we started out cross country trips in the late '70s. There are probably better ways, but that works for me.

Early on I compare odometer mileages to GPS mileages to note any discrepancies. One could just use GPS mileages, but I find it more convenient to use the odometer if it is accurate.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:12 PM   #4

An Excel spreadsheet customized in any way I want. I keep all camping details and coach costs such as fuel, def, maintenance and generator hours. I keep notes for never-to-return-to or best sites within a campground. I have many formulae for calculating daily mpg, overall mpg, def mpg, camping cost per night, # nights free and so on. Whatever you want to track.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:35 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We just go and it is what it is. I keep mileage for maintenance. I might not go if i know how much it cost. But i am happy about diesel prices this year. I hope they stay down for the rest of the year. Just go and enjoy.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:45 PM   #6

We keep track of costs on an Excel spreadsheet the DW has setup. We sort of have a budget but it is mostly go with the flow. She likes to keep the average CG stay below $35. We include the occasional Walmart night in that average, though Walmart usually winds up being far more than $35.

At the end of a trip we will take a look at what went where out of general interest.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:22 PM   #7

I am a fulltimer. When I had a sticks and bricks I did not keep track of how much time I had on my heater or air conditioner nor did I keep track of my food costs etc. Now as a fulltimer I see no need to change. I service my diesel, generator and aquahot once a year no matter what the mileage. If I need fuel or DEF I buy it. It is what it is. I am retired and want to enjoy life not worry about the expenses.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:51 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by bydnar View Post
An Excel spreadsheet customized in any way I want. I keep all camping details and coach costs such as fuel, def, maintenance and generator hours. I keep notes for never-to-return-to or best sites within a campground. I have many formulae for calculating daily mpg, overall mpg, def mpg, camping cost per night, # nights free and so on. Whatever you want to track.
Would you mind sharing this SS as an example?
Old 02-06-2020, 08:52 PM   #9

when we go we don't worry about cost. we go to enjoy if it cost this much then so be it.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
Would you mind sharing this SS as an example?

Larry, I’d be happy to oblige. But. Always a but. I keep the spreadsheet on a laptop and it is a WiFi connected device for internet access. I am traveling and do not have a WiFi connection right now and don’t know exactly when I will. Hopefully in a couple of weeks. I’ll get to sampling my spreadsheet then. Thank you for your interest.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:26 AM   #11

Here is a template I built in an Excel spreadsheet to do what I think you are wanting to do. Just fill in the yellow cells and the white cells are calculated for you. Cells with a red triangle in the upper right corner have a note/comment relative to that cell's input. The lower portion is still filled in as an example and for part of a trip I planned to see the difference in cost of taking the motorhome or driving our Durango. If there are not enough rows for your trip simply "insert" as many more as you need somewhere in the middle of the existing rows and calculations will be automatically inserted into the added rows' white cells. Excel is a great way to track about anything and is simple to use once you are accustomed to it.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:29 AM   #12

Oops - Excel won't attach to me response for some reason. Send me an email and I'll email the spreadsheet.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:57 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
To those who don't bother with keeping track of actual cost.
I do not normally keep track either, but I am wanting to do it this year, to help me budget for next year and years to come. I probably won't do it for long, I just want to get an accurate idea as to how much we are spending on the road as opposed to staying at home. Trust me I am not obsessed with keeping actual cost, but I really need to get a good idea of how much we are spending on the road vs. staying at home.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:19 AM   #14

I like the spiral binder because it allows me to pass on a record of maint, mileage, etc. to the next owner. The receipts provide further evidence that it was done.

Keeping track of travel costs also provides something to compare with the cost of other ways of traveling. We will probably travel during summer regardless of cost, but it's good to know how much we're spending with the RV, and the alternatives.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote