Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2020, 03:08 PM   #1

Recreation.gov

Is there a more useless website? Did they design it just to be frustrating or also to help foster mistrust of government? Actually, my theory is that it was designed to cut down on national park visitation.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2020, 03:19 PM   #2

It used to be a lot better before they improved it a couple of years ago.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:20 PM   #3

The " old " system was over performing, so they hired some lobbyists brother in law to design a new program.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:08 PM   #4

Ok I don't normally jump in on these bashing discussions, but I will make an exception. This is without a doubt the worst, most difficult to navigate website that I have ever been FORCED to use.

If that was not bad enough, it seems to encourage people to cheat up on the days they really want and then cancel others later without any punitive action!

I have cussed the site more than once, and I am sure I will again. The bad part is no one seems interested in improving it.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:13 PM   #5

It let us book a campground last week 2 hrs before arriving that was closed due to COVID and they won’t respond for a refund. I just disputed it with Amex.
rogerfromco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:19 PM   #6

If you want some frustration, try booking Long Pine Key or Flamingo campgrounds in the Everglades.

They went with a private vendor and have a strange website.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:51 PM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
It isn't very user friendly. I provided feedback to them about their reservation system... don't think it'll do any good though.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chindog View Post
It used to be a lot better before they improved it a couple of years ago.
Agreed the old system worked, then they improved it to not work.
DbleDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:55 PM   #9

I used it yesterday to book a couple of days at a COE campground. The only thing I had trouble understanding was the day at a time method. Got it done, saw confirmation and payment info, and all is well. My first time with it.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:06 AM   #10

How far in advance changes

I was looking around yesterday and noticed that several camp sites in Sequoia NP have changed so reservation can only be made 3 months in advance. This is a change for this year apparently since I made reservations 2 years ago and it was 6 months in advanced. Last year I was unable to go (but it was still 6 months) due to COVID restrictions. The National Forest camp sites nearby are still on the 6 months ahead of arrival. I think this will make things worse as people who really want NP reservations make NF reservation to protect their trips then cancel later if they get the NP reservation.
I also noticed there were some places where reservations could be made a year in advance. That for a group site, but it made think "better check the specific campground a year before hand to see when the window will open".
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 12:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The " old " system was over performing, so they hired some lobbyists brother in law to design a new program.
Twinboat for the win!
Old 12-06-2020, 12:26 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My impression is the old system was owned and operated by Reserve America. The fed fired Reserve America and the fed built there own system. Its is a lot better then the first version. Im sure it will continue to get better with time.

I
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 01:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
My impression is the old system was owned and operated by Reserve America. The fed fired Reserve America and the fed built there own system. Its is a lot better then the first version. Im sure it will continue to get better with time.

I
That makes it OK ?

Are we to expect lousy service because its new ?

I guess we are, look at the new RVs coming out with all sorts of quality issues.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:53 PM   #14

The most intuitive reservation site I've used was for Gulf State Park in
Alabama. Now they are revamping it and I have to learn all over. The other sites had frustrated me until I forced myself to learn them. In the winter when we huddled inside looking out at the snow out of boredom I would practice before the time came to make actual reservations. Rec.gov, Reserve America, etc. Id go through the process of booking a site right up to the point of making payment. This really helped and I'd suggest trying that. Even the poorest designed sites can make sense after wading through the process a few times.
slowlanelife is offline   Reply With Quote