Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2020, 10:22 AM   #1

Required Signing of Waiver of Responsibility

Well its finally happened to me. I have reservation since Dec for a campground in Wisconsin for over the 4th, site had to be paid in full on the date the reservation was made. That was not really a big deal. Well just this week received an email with a required signature. This waiver was releasing the park from "any" responsibility due to injury of any kind while at the park. It covered walking and falling, playground equipment related injury. The list goes on.
I just wanted you all to know if you are planning a trip to Kieler Wisconsin, I would think twice about staying at Rustic Barn Campground.
be-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2020, 10:29 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
The way people are inclined to 'call a lawyer' over the most trivial thing, that document seems quite reasonable to me.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by be-happy View Post
Well its finally happened to me. I have reservation since Dec for a campground in Wisconsin for over the 4th, site had to be paid in full on the date the reservation was made. That was not really a big deal. Well just this week received an email with a required signature. This waiver was releasing the park from "any" responsibility due to injury of any kind while at the park. It covered walking and falling, playground equipment related injury. The list goes on.
I just wanted you all to know if you are planning a trip to Kieler Wisconsin, I would think twice about staying at Rustic Barn Campground.
Waivers like this are generally not enforceable and only serve to harass a possible complainant. That is from lawyers in GA, FL and NC, where I was part of the committee organizing a group outing. One cannot waive rights before something occurs.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:53 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGoose View Post
Waivers like this are generally not enforceable and only serve to harass a possible complainant. That is from lawyers in GA, FL and NC, where I was part of the committee organizing a group outing. One cannot waive rights before something occurs.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:03 AM   #5

Sign away. Means nothing.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:34 AM   #6

MIGHT protect them if you knowingly/intentionally misuse their equipment but not if the property owners are negligent. i'd sign it and not worry. curious...what happens if you refuse? rsvr canceled? refund?
Old 06-30-2020, 01:37 PM   #7

I just did a quick Google and this came up:

https://blogs.findlaw.com/injured/20...forceable.html

Perhaps this may be coming to RV parks: https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...-you-sign-them
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:48 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
They should have had you sign that when you made the reservations, before they took your money. Now they have no leg to stand on. They can't force you to sign a waiver months after they've they've taken your money.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:38 PM   #9

It's the McDonalds affect. Spill hot coffee on your lap then sue McDonalds because they serve hot coffee.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:30 PM   #10

Have signed those at Creekfire RV Resort near Savannah as part of the check in process. That’s the only place I’ve been that requires it. As I recall it’s a 3 page document. The checking clerk gave it to me the same time I signed the credit card receipt.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:03 AM   #11

You have a contract with the camp ground already. A contract is an offer,acceptance, consideration. You offered to stay there, they accepted, and consideration was paid. Now the camp ground wants to amend the contract. Well the camp ground now has to pay some consideration to you for a new contract. Perhaps a discount/partial refund of what you have already paid or an additional free night? In any event the waiver doesn’t not release the camp ground from gross negligence or intentional harm.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:01 AM   #12

I would sign a waiver of liability any day. Do not under any circumstaces sign anything that says "hold harmless" or "indemnify".
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 03:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJFogelberg View Post
It's the McDonalds affect. Spill hot coffee on your lap then sue McDonalds because they serve hot coffee.
More accurately, sue McDonald's because they serve coffee that is hotter than at most restaurants, at a temperature that causes third-degree burns in seconds, about which they've received hundreds of complaints about scalding burns, despite which they'd chosen not to lower the temperature.

https://www.ttla.com/index.cfm?pg=Mc...offeeCaseFacts
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 04:06 PM   #14

Wording on these is everything, a liability waiver stating that one accepts the risks associated with an activity is one thing, a statement of indemnification is something else entirely. 20 or so years ago I was camping at a remote gathering, and the sponsors / host location had such a statement they were requiring everyone to sign upon arrival, one of the fellow attendees by the name of Ed, who I had known from previous events, was a lawyer and was standing in the check in line just ahead of me. When he read the statement, he not only refused to sign it, he urged everyone else there not to sign it as well. The issue was the way it was worded the antendee would be responsible for any damage to the property caused by any of the roughly 500 attendees.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote