Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2021, 09:50 PM   #29

This thread has info on what's going on in some places.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...m_medium=email

This is the kind of thing we're up against when trying to get a site where the choices are very limited. Do we just rule out ever getting a site?

Things aren't the way they were a few years ago.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2021, 10:34 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donskiman View Post
This thread has info on what's going on in some places.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...m_medium=email

This is the kind of thing we're up against when trying to get a site where the choices are very limited. Do we just rule out ever getting a site?

Things aren't the way they were a few years ago.
Your link is about someone abusing the system. There were 23 comments accusing the concessionaires of rigging the system when in fact, in post #24 the OP admits he found the answer to his issue and it was a corrupt camper doing harm. This is what happens when people start doing things against the rules. It's only going to get worse.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:10 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
This is a 100% right.

I know a lot people opposed to the stimulus checks, I don't know a single person who sent one back.

i know of folks who donated theirs to the local food bank.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:05 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Your link is about someone abusing the system. There were 23 comments accusing the concessionaires of rigging the system when in fact, in post #24 the OP admits he found the answer to his issue and it was a corrupt camper doing harm. This is what happens when people start doing things against the rules. It's only going to get worse.
Actually in addition to the OP of that thread, several others indicated they experienced problems at various other campgrounds.

Making reservations for 2 weeks and then modifying them is not against the rules.
Old 11-23-2021, 12:51 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Clearly the point of that the reason there are the current rules in place is due to actions which required the rules to be in place has not gotten across. The more people push/game the system the more rules will get enacted to deal with the ones trying to game the system.

I for one think there are already too many rules in place, and I am not just talking about the reservation systems. In my opinion, if people would not keep trying to push everything for their individual gain the world would be a more simple and enjoyable place.
GypsyCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 12:23 PM   #34

Hmmm...just about every site in the one loop where we'll fit is fully booked for 2 weeks forward, but most of the rest of the campground isn't booked at all. Just wonder why?
Old 11-25-2021, 02:52 PM   #35

Not how the game is “played”. We love COE campgrounds and it’s true some are harder to get into than others. Sometimes it’s sitting on the computer with everything online being complete and at 12:01am you’re hitting enter to get your spot for a week or two.
You can cancel but it’ll cost you $10, whether you’re months out or a week out.
SkeetandJudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 02:55 PM   #36

Be sure to check the coding on the calendar; first check come first get it, Not Released yet, Reserved and if the calendar is still gray that area probably isn’t open/released yet for reservations.
SkeetandJudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 02:57 PM   #37

Forest River Owners Club
Recreation.gov

I personally like the fact that I can now use this app to book my reservations in these difficult to book CG’s...

In the past I had to wait until midnight Jan 1 to begin the process of calling over and over and over to try and procure sites in certain CG’s.... It was very frustrating and time consuming to say the least.... In addition, it took repeated attempts to book a lengthy stay...

With Recreation.gov I’ve already made 2022 reservations at multiple NP CG’s with more planned...

I am finding that there is a “waiting” process - until they (CG’s) make additional dates available.... That simply means that I check occasionally to see if those additional dates I need have been made available and if so, I grab them....

I fully expect to have all my “dates” reserved within the next few weeks and I’ll then be able to sit back and wait for our adventure to begin!!!
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 03:03 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donskiman View Post
We are wanting to reserve a space in a recreation.gov campground. Spaces can only be reserved for 14 days. Spaces are limited. The window for reservations is 6 months ahead. They allow booking forward starting from the time first day a space is open. Which potentially means if we want a spot we would have to book it 2 weeks ahead of when we intended to use it. Then try to cancel the days we don't want.

Booking for next year at this campground just opened today. We are already seeing sites get reserved for the full 2 weeks.

Seems like reserving weeks ahead to get a spot and partially canceling is a bit unethical, but it looks like this is the way the game is being played.

What happens if you they don't allow cancelations and you don't show up until the days you really wanted? Since you've already paid for the site it doesn't seem like they could rent it out to someone else.

What have people experienced with this?
This is a nightmare. If you miss your first day they will give the full reservation if you do not call and may anyway. better off staying in a privprivate one close by.
Franey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 03:34 PM   #39

State Park Reservations

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
We have pretty much given up using COE and State Parks. Too hard to get decent reservations anymore.

Ken
TXiceman, we have also. Between an unreliable internet service and the new reservation system the state of Alabama has I no longer even try. Gulf State Park shows no available sites forever yet friends of ours drove down and had an extended stay while we waited patiently for a site to open up. The employees told them they have openings but for some reason they don’t show up on the reservation site. Go figure.
tstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 03:35 PM   #40

Been using COE for two years through Recreation.gov. Very easy and refunds come back quickly less a $10 fee for cancelling. We do put in our calendar 6 months before to go to Recreation.gov to make the reservation. In Florida now and have 4 reservations back to back for 2 weeks each. Very easy that way. Love the coe campgrounds. Also like that folks think it’s too much work to do what we do. Leaves more options for us.
Old 11-25-2021, 03:37 PM   #41

Reservation Games - Really

I've never had a problem with Reservation.gov other that the website is a bit difficult to use.

Now, for those of you having difficulties finding a site:

1. You may be looking for specific sites ie you're too long for the majority of sites. That's not a reservation problem, it's your problem

2. Booking at high season - sometimes it works sometimes not

3. Lack of flexibility in dates.

Bear in mind, we use reservation.gov in WA, OR, AZ, NV - those of you traveling further may have other problems but that is my experience.
BrianCindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 03:37 PM   #42

Hello. I stay mainly at commercial ch more so because of my size but would like to get into NP or NF but have run into the same problem-full-On paper?? Alot of the commercial cg I’ve stayed at have a NO refund policy. Seems harsh but keeps folks honest. Most of us don’t want to lose $50-75 a night even if you can afford it. No refund policy would help the reservation games and open up alot of campsites.
Our Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game, games