Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2021, 05:59 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donskiman View Post
Well, based on the overwhelming negative opinions about playing the reservation game, we decided to try to just reserve the normal way. The result - we were completely shut out. Multiple sites would have been available if we had played the game. Every site was already booked by not doing so. Every site was booked forward, leaving zero sites available.
BTW, this campground only has electric and water, no sewer and no dump station. Apparently all these people booking forward for 2 weeks have no problem breaking camp several times to drive to a dump station many miles away.
We'll have to try to find somewhere else to go now.

Oregon has kind of solved this problem. The way they operate is if you modify your arrival date you must still pay for the dates you cancel. You can change your departure date by just paying the service fee. Of course this lets those with money to spare to play games.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2021, 08:55 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Stayed 1 night 12/28, in a FL. State CG.

Booked it from a email they sent, as I was on a wait list.

Arrived to find 20 empty sites that afternoon and 15 the next morning.

Check web site and all sites were unavailable!!

The system needs fixing.
Not really. The sites may be book and people do not make it for some reason.
Franey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 08:58 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donskiman View Post
Well, based on the overwhelming negative opinions about playing the reservation game, we decided to try to just reserve the normal way. The result - we were completely shut out. Multiple sites would have been available if we had played the game. Every site was already booked by not doing so. Every site was booked forward, leaving zero sites available.
BTW, this campground only has electric and water, no sewer and no dump station. Apparently all these people booking forward for 2 weeks have no problem breaking camp several times to drive to a dump station many miles away.
We'll have to try to find somewhere else to go now.
Some areas allow pumpers in to service the trailers, by draining them for a fee.....I have seen this on land and water.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:07 AM   #88

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
How does this work when the lottery winner of those 7 or 10 days on the calendar has no intention of using all of those days? Seems this does not address the issue.
It doesn’t solve the issue of the original post but it does relieve us from having to sit at the computer and get lucky enough to hit the “Reserve” button at just the right instant.
neoflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 10:14 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franey View Post
Some areas allow pumpers in to service the trailers, by draining them for a fee.....I have seen this on land and water.
There is no mention of pumpers in any of the reviews or descriptions of this campground. There are many references to a dump station being miles away.

We could have played the game and there were sites available at that time. As the days went by there were fewer sites until there was only one left on the day we were going to start our stay. We were logged in and just waiting for the reservations to open for the day. The instant it did, all we were going to have to do was put it in our cart and be done. Must have missed out by a second as the last site was gone in the few seconds after reservations opened.

Oh well.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 11:24 AM   #90

I mentioned this in another thread. I recently got a reservation at a campground in Yosemite. They released an entire month a once, rather than the day by day approach at other places . I still had to be ready at 7AM on the 15th and had to have some flexibility but it worked out. I actually tried for two sites where I was a little late before getting a site on my third try.

I like the a system of releasing lots of dates all at once. It eliminates the need for people to reserve extra dates for the majority of the window. This was evident because the weekends filled up right away but the week days were open for a few days after the reservation window opened. I think people are playing the reservation game right at the end of the window based on the stay lengths. I'd like to see them do tow things. One, make the window that open bigger, like two months rather than one. They may not like this because it will tax their system more on the day things open. The other thing is reduce the time you can go into the "closed days" from 14 days to more like 4 days.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 04:21 PM   #91

Tomahawk, I really like your ideas. Especially only allowing 4 days after the closed date. Spread the word.
I almost resorted to playing the reservation game, but just couldn't bring myself to it.
Old 01-01-2022, 08:32 AM   #92

My mention of pumpers was for info only. When making reservations where you know there is no hook up, and no dump. You call call or search there's area on the net for pumpers I'm the area

Happy New Year
Old 01-01-2022, 12:55 PM   #93

Consider this… if everyone is booking out into the 14 day window and modifying ,
as some believe , then no one has an advantage. This is not new, rec.gov has always allowed this. For that matter, Reserve America works exactly the same way.
Some parks like Grand Canyon now only have a 7 day window. The fact is, in busy parks, booking into the window is the only way to get a site. Again, not new.
I make no judgements of fellow campers, it’s a free country. If you want to book out into the window and modify , do so. If you want to sit home with no campsite and feel angry and superior , do so. Hint… as people modify reservations 3 days after their booking window ends, tons of sites become available. They are just sitting there ready to be booked. Be kind to each other and stay safe. Happy New Year!
Bellacamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 01:43 PM   #94

I'm not sure they can devise a game proof system without eliminating changes and cancellations. FCFS in not the answer because people game their arrival with an old tent or chair.
I do think limiting stays to 7 days vs. 14 allows for more campers to have access.
I also think raisng cancellation and change fees would help, but its really not a $$$ issue.
Many are will to pay the penalty to get the site they want but steep fees would impact the borderline gaming folks.
What is really frustrating is that it is often impossible to get the site you want without gaming the system. It's fine to be upstanding and play within the spirit of the rules, but when that leaves you shut out without a site you relizing gamng is the only way to succeed. If you can't beat them join them!
Lantley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 02:53 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantley View Post
I'm not sure they can devise a game proof system without eliminating changes and cancellations. FCFS in not the answer because people game their arrival with an old tent or chair.
I do think limiting stays to 7 days vs. 14 allows for more campers to have access.
I also think raisng cancellation and change fees would help, but its really not a $$$ issue.
Many are will to pay the penalty to get the site they want but steep fees would impact the borderline gaming folks.
What is really frustrating is that it is often impossible to get the site you want without gaming the system. It's fine to be upstanding and play within the spirit of the rules, but when that leaves you shut out without a site you relizing gamng is the only way to succeed. If you can't beat them join them!
Thank you sir, I agree with everything you are saying. I find this distinction however…the definition of Gaming the system is “ using or manipulating rules to gain an unfair advantage over others.” Since the chief complaint on this post is everyone is booking 14 days out and modifying , there is no advantage.
To put a finer point on the spirit of the rules, Rec.gov states only 3.
1. Book on a six month rolling basis.
2. You may book 14 days out.
3. You may modify or cancel 3 days after the last day of your reservation.
These are the facts.
Bellacamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 03:30 PM   #96

https://www.irv2.com/forums/showthre....php?p=5557012
slowlanelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 01:28 AM   #97

I book the 6 months in advance and still find most the campground is full. Something sneaky is obviously going on. These are COE campgrounds. Obviously, somehow, some people are being allowed to book before that 6 month window. It is a well kept secret, whatever it is.
Old 03-18-2022, 11:23 PM   #98

We just got back from one of our favorite state campgrounds in Santa Cruz CA. The site showed fully booked all the way up to when we left for our trip (I was watching with the hopes of getting one of the limited hook up sites). During our actual stay, the place was far from fully booked. There were all kinds of sites available for one or more nights, including one hookup site that was unused for 3 consecutive nights.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game, games