Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2020, 03:25 PM   #1

Reservations. How far in advance?

Looks like this covid thing is going to be around for a while and will probably continue to mess up our camping routine. AGAIN! We had to schedule each stop of our last three trips. What a pain. Not like us at all. We're used to finding a direction or visiting point and going. Enough sour grapes.
We think we want to go to southern Louisiana primarily and through out the state on the way home to St. Louis, MO in late April/early May. We're not sure of the timing yet, but should have a handle on it about mid January. One of our main interest is Grand Isle SP/ With home schooling, covid & all how soon should we make reservations if we must. Or do you think we could, as we prefer, wing it?
thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2020, 03:39 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
It is a brave new world out there. I don’t think past actions are going to apply to the new now. I have a friend who owns a small RV dealership. He is selling one camper a day and having a problem getting restocked. That is unheard of. My daughter and her family have a camper and make reservations for them and us. She is having a real problem finding campsites for next year. I believe reservations are going to be a must in the future.
Old 12-02-2020, 03:59 PM   #3

the virus has caused a huge boom in RV sales with no corresponding boom in new RV parks and campgrounds. i'm betting that in the next 24-mos there will be a glut of used RVs up for sale as many of the new buyers will be disillusioned with the lifestyle. until if and when that happens i'd make reservations as far in advance as possible.
Old 12-02-2020, 04:11 PM   #4

One year out here. We have been camping in Pigeon Forge TN for 10 years. They starting selling out all good campgrounds early staring 3 years ago. Much harder to get a site unless you call 6 months in advance.
Jgeib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:11 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Not that long ago we never made reservations, except special: weekends or hot seasons, campgrounds or campsites.

With covid, the public campgrounds only seems to be accepting reservations. It sucks for one night when traveling. The rev fee ends up getting you for about 20% more. Weekends seem to now require reservations made in advance.

Is the market slowing down. This weekend we drove by several RV lots that were full. Saw camping world is having a large sale on all their used RV's.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:20 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm booking some sites now for fall 2021. Some CGs are already sold out for next summer through September. So it depends. If you're competing with snow birds for Florida Dec.-Mar. then at least a year in advance. Many of the most popular CGs are like season tickets at popular stadiums. If you held them this year you get first shot at keeping the site for next year. Other folks just take whatever is available and never make reservations.
Old 12-02-2020, 04:21 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
garmp --

For my long weekend outings in the Texas Hill Country this past summer and fall, making a reservation at a privately owned RV resort / park a month ahead of time was adequate. Texas state parks are booked three months ahead for weekends especially during "RV season" in the spring and fall. At the moment due to the big hurricanes in southwest Louisiana, RV resorts and parks in Lafayette west through Lake Charles and into Beaumont, TX are full with home construction workers and families whose homes are not liveable. East of Lafayette RV resorts / parks are less full.

You stated you were considering the Grand Isle area. I'm not aware of any nice RV parks in that part of the state. However, there are two very nice RV resorts along I-10/I-12 you may want to consider:

Cajun Palms RV Resort near Henderson, LA --> Cajun Palms - Home

Reunion Lake RV Resort on I-12 between Hammond and Covington --> https://www.sunrvresorts.com/resorts..._campaign=yext

Both of these resorts get several "snow birds" each year but they usually leave in the April.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 05:55 AM   #8

I would suggest making reservation at any destination campground as soon as you know you will visit. In FL panhandle popular state parks are booked a year in advance. However public campgrounds that are not considered destination can usually be reserved on short notice especially on weekdays. FL in the winter is of course an exception.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:29 AM   #9

There are 300,000 Canadians that are not migrating south this year. The Florida governor is not closing down anything. If you are happy to be inland, and not right on the beach, you should find plenty of openings this winter.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmp View Post
Looks like this covid thing is going to be around for a while and will probably continue to mess up our camping routine. AGAIN! We had to schedule each stop of our last three trips. What a pain. Not like us at all. We're used to finding a direction or visiting point and going. Enough sour grapes.
We think we want to go to southern Louisiana primarily and through out the state on the way home to St. Louis, MO in late April/early May. We're not sure of the timing yet, but should have a handle on it about mid January. One of our main interest is Grand Isle SP/ With home schooling, covid & all how soon should we make reservations if we must. Or do you think we could, as we prefer, wing it?
thanks
Good Luck! -

I'm still in the group that does not make reservations (Most of the time) - This Summer, We traveled in Prime Time, in/to Prime Places, and it was a PITA, but we managed - Wal*Mart is our Friend - we would order pick up for the AM and arrive the evening before to have them deliver it in the AM - this took care of three to five days a week while we traveled - we also learned to travel fewer miles each day, instead of the long days. Another place we were able to discover were the number of great small town public parks - many of these had limits as to length of stay - most were around $20.00 per night - most were Just Awesome locations, which was not only surprising but also led to a few longer stays than planned.

I just cannot make reservations unless I Know I'll be someplace on an exact Date. Family reunion at the beach every year - we know the Dates -we Know it will not Change and there is only one place to Stay - so we make the reservations every year, when we check out, for the next year. Simple -

So if you know the exact dates go ahead and make the reservations - if not wing it, Simple -

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:40 AM   #11

I made my April Keys and Flagler Beach reservations already. For high density tourist spots the further out the better.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Good Luck! -

I'm still in the group that does not make reservations (Most of the time) - This Summer, We traveled in Prime Time, in/to Prime Places, and it was a PITA, but we managed - Wal*Mart is our Friend - we would order pick up for the AM and arrive the evening before to have them deliver it in the AM - this took care of three to five days a week while we traveled - we also learned to travel fewer miles each day, instead of the long days. Another place we were able to discover were the number of great small town public parks - many of these had limits as to length of stay - most were around $20.00 per night - most were Just Awesome locations, which was not only surprising but also led to a few longer stays than planned.

I just cannot make reservations unless I Know I'll be someplace on an exact Date. Family reunion at the beach every year - we know the Dates -we Know it will not Change and there is only one place to Stay - so we make the reservations every year, when we check out, for the next year. Simple -

So if you know the exact dates go ahead and make the reservations - if not wing it, Simple -

Best of Luck,
Thank you for this message. Aside from a lack of covered storage nearby, I am struggling with the logistics of traveling in an MH. I also want to have the flexibility of staying shorter or longer or veering off in another direction. That means no reservations for the most part. And that also means being able to dry camp successfully when I find myself unable to find a place with power.

I am encouraged that you have managed to 'wing it' with all the new RVers also trying to find places to camp.
Rusbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusbet View Post
Thank you for this message. Aside from a lack of covered storage nearby, I am struggling with the logistics of traveling in an MH. I also want to have the flexibility of staying shorter or longer or veering off in another direction. That means no reservations for the most part. And that also means being able to dry camp successfully when I find myself unable to find a place with power.

I am encouraged that you have managed to 'wing it' with all the new RVers also trying to find places to camp.
Rusbet,

Looking back at your posts - it appears these links might be of some help, while not from this forum they are helpful to the New RV'er.

I've been doing this literally from the Day I graduated from High School - Think Beach - in the Car (a 49 Packard with the back seat removed and a bed added) - things were just easier back then.

First Time Buyer...Updated 03/06/2006 -
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/13792144.cfm

Class A Frequently Asked Questions Updated - 7/10/2015https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/15163173.cfm

Boondocking Resources - Tips, Tricks, and Information -
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/25469769.cfm

The more you Know/Understand the more fun it is and the easier it is - so a little reading may just help in your understanding of the RV lifestyle.

We have enjoyed it and as Covid appears to be heading into the next Year thravel is just so much easier if you bring the Bathroom and the Bed with you -

Hope this is of some help,

edit note here - be sure the Coach/RV you choose has a good generator and strong Batteries, sure makes the Overnights easier.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:22 AM   #14

For certain destinations, I make reservations months in advance. We have specific requirements on our destinations. Some places have limited campgrounds at the best of time, i am concerned about our up coming travels.

Next December we have a trip planned to CA and I plan to make some of our reservations next week.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote