Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2013, 05:10 AM   #85

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Much ado about nothing? I don't think so. I'm not bashing KOA's. I just want to hear the explaination of a charge a member was told was a Federal Tax. At the very least, this thread has served to educate us to review our bills (& website reservation confirmations) & to question charges we don't understand.

I, for one, work hard for my money & want to know where it's going. Others might not care, happily not question & pay whatever they're presented. That's just not me.

Lori-
I'm with you. Why the mystery about "RTF"? If it is a true tax than it is eligible to be a deduction from the fed income tax. If it is simply a line to get a corporate initiated fee, than those paying it have the right to know what it is called by name and not just the acronym. If it is a part of the nightly rate than it should be posted as part of the rate. It is non negotiable and corporate generated it seems and has not been proven to be a mandated tax. We have the right to have it spelled out. And they have the obligation to post their rates fully and correctly. Good comment Lori. Our money. Not theirs to take without mutual agreement. If their hidden fees are ways to hide the true fee charged then KOA is being deceptive in the rate advertizing.

So, KOA, what does RTF mean and what is it for. Is it a necessary value to your guests or a mandated tax or simply a corporate initiated fantom fee? You tell us and end the confusion and speculation.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #86
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Update: I searched another 20 or so KOA's last night & still haven't found another RFT charge called out. I'm wondering if these other KOA's just roll that up into the site fee so it doesn't show, especially since they are one of the higher per nite site fee CG's out there in certain locations (the one near us charges almost $80/nite for a FHU 50A pull-thru premium site). I'm pretty sure KOA's pass along any franchise fee to the camper.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #87

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Update: I searched another 20 or so KOA's last night & still haven't found another RFT charge called out. I'm wondering if these other KOA's just roll that up into the site fee so it doesn't show, especially since they are one of the higher per nite site fee CG's out there in certain locations (the one near us charges almost $80/nite for a FHU 50A pull-thru premium site). I'm pretty sure KOA's pass along any franchise fee to the camper.

Lori-
I'm sure that KOA's (and any other franchised business) passes along the franchise fees/costs onto their customers, or it's just built into their pricing in general - with a franchise, monthly fees, percentage of revenue, etc - it's part of the cost of doing business.

In looking at KOA's near using - using the reservation system at koa.com, pricing on pull thru sites with 50amp range from $57 - $77 night. The higher prices are generally for "nicer" sites with patio furniture, BBQ's and firepits.

One thing to remember too is that for $24/year you can get a KOA VKR card that saves you 10% on your stay

Quote:
Good at all KOA Kampgrounds. Discount applies to one site per card. Excludes discounted weekly, monthly and seasonal rates. If the card is purchased at a KOA Kampground, the maximum savings benefit for the stay in which the card is purchased is $24. Campers will receive a 10%* savings discount on daily rates for subsequent KOA stays. $24 maximum savings does not apply to a valid KOA Value Kard Rewards membership renewed at a KOA Kampground.

* Applies to daily registration rate. Not valid with special offers, for weekly, monthly or seasonal rates, and cannot be combined with other offers. Check with specific KOA location for details.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:17 PM   #88

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
With the 10 percent discount their prices are almost near the norm
After a bad experience with KOA a few years ago we try to avoid staying at them. We stayed at one this summer in Willets, OR, got there early as we had an early start that morning..Was charged $20 extra for being early and the site was empty..
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #89

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think if this particular KOA along with any other operation (like hotels that charge a mandatory "resort fee" for example) that separates fees is asking for upset customers. Most of us would all be happy just to hear one flat price and decide if we want to spend our dollars based on that.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #90

Winnebago Owners Club
We stayed at the KOA in Mackinaw City, MI September 22nd thru the 25th of this year and I looked at our bill and it showed $37.00 per night and a $3.70 per night discount (10% member discount). There is nothing on the receipt about any Federal Taxes

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #91

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not a tax just another KOA fee like airline bagage fees to make their per night advertised fee look ok. I just got tagged with a $6 per night fee called a "resort fee" on the bill from a KOA in WV. What happened to truth in advertising?
Old 10-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #92

If the bottom line rate on my bill is as shown on their website, minus my discount, plus appropriate sales tax, I would not wonder what "RTF" means, nor care if there is a "resort fee".

Bottom line is bottom line no matter how any one clerk may have misinterpreted something silly.

Avoid KOA. You will not have anything to complain about.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #93

Encore, Suncoast, and other RV resorts also charge a "resort" fee. Theirs is plainly identified as such.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #94

Wink

Maybe it's a Repu Tation Fee !