Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2010, 11:48 AM   #1

Ricketts Glen SP in Pennsylvania

Just wondering if any of you have been to Ricketts Glen State Park in Pennsylvania?

This is what is stated on their website:
"The park is 30 miles north of Bloomsburg on PA 487. The section of PA 487 from the town of Red Rock to the Lake Jean area of the park is a very steep road. Heavy trailer units should avoid this hill and enter the park by taking PA 487 south from Dushore."

We would like to visit for two nights in the spring / summer. Looks like a lot of great hiking and photography opportunities.

Any information would be great.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2010, 11:59 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
I've been there a couple (actually, 3) times, although never camped in the park. The hill from Red Rock is steep - coming in from Dushore is a better idea.

Photos & descriptions (Including a map of the park) of my visits:

Fall 2010
Spring 2010
Summer 2001
Old 12-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #3

Thanks for the info and pictures. When did you visit in the spring?
Did you walk through the campground?
Old 12-13-2010, 02:53 PM   #4

I was there on April 12. The entire trip starts here.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:58 PM   #5

Thanks I look forward to reading your pages on your website.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:13 PM   #6

No, I have not been to the campground. On the trip with tcampground in he Class A RV we stayed at the Pioneer Campground in Laporte, PA. I have looked at the campground information - one section is open in the winter, both in the summer. They also have cabins that are usually open year round, but I noticed on their web page that the entire park is closing 12/15 until 4/1 due to budget problems...

Although I'd like to get some winter photographs of the falls, the requirements for hiking the falls trail in winter look to be a bit beyond my capabilities!
Old 01-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The place looks awesome! I would imagine a spring time visit would be in order with the snow melt, the waterfalls should be nice!

According to Google, we are less then a 2.5 hours away. A new must see on our list this spring!

I too am curious about the steep hill.
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #8

It is a beautiful walk along the falls. I've been there in the spring, summer & fall, and the amount of water going over the falls was the same. There are plenty of signs that there is very heavy spring runoff, but I'm not sure it is possible to hike the trails at that time. In any case, I highly recommend the hike.

As to the hill between Red Rock & the park, no problem in just your vehicle, however I'd go in from the north if I was pulling a good size trailer or driving a RV. Not a lot of curves, just steep. I couldn't find an official grade for the road, but one review in RV Parks Reviews states it is a 5 mile, 18% grade. The park info says it is 3.4 miles, but doesn't give a grade.