RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2020, 11:01 AM   #1

Rio Grand Valley for the winter

Any suggestions for a nice RV park for the winter - after perhaps Dec 15th? Have looked at a whole bunch of them on-line but getting depressed.

Llamo Grande has some very good reviews and looks fine to me but they have maybe the worst web site around. Tried to do on-line reservations to check availability but got an error message that they haven't published their 2020 prices yet. THAT does not fill me with confidence.

Do not need the whole boat load of expensive amenities which hardly ever get used. I liked the wood shop to do a few mod's for the coach and the access to the golf course. I am not trying to find cheap by any means - a nice spacious spot that is within walking distance to bars and restaurants would be a bonus. If it has a wood shop and a golf course, that would be great - but not necessary. A place that is and feels safe would also be great.

I know, Florida would be better I suppose, but a longer drive, and I plan to establish residence in Texas so will need to travel to Livingston (escapees) in the spring. Don't want to do that in the winter months. Been there - done that. I am escaping Washington State - the high taxes and stupid politics have convinced me to leave.

The other choice if I can't find anything is the Phoenix area which has lots of places and I have to drive though there anyway. I just thought I would try someplace new. Never been to the RGV.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have looked at other threads here but they were not as much help as searching this site usually provides.
X-OEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2020, 11:33 AM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
We as well are looking @ RGV, after a swing thru Vegas /Laughlin over Thanksgiving..
Kinda liking The Galveston area, and Will be checking out Livingston area looking for a medical outfit near the center of the US.. Currently have Doctors in Oregon and really interferes with traveling to the east coast and then spending an extended amount of time.
BTW.. We are Escapees out of Box Elder, SD...prefer the political atmosphere and tax setup of SD over Ore.
Stay in touch..may run into each other somewhere..
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:56 AM   #3

Well Mr. Saddle - I will have to handle a change in medical as well. Would probably return the Northwest once in a while but do not want to be attached to the doctors there. Have no complaints, but as you pointed out, harder to spend any time on the east coast. Have never been to the Northeast either and have that on my to do list as well.

I'll let you know what I find in the RGV - if anything. As I mentioned Phoenix is my second choice.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:43 PM   #4

Check out https://www.bentsenpalm.com/active-adult/rv-resort/ We've been staying there for 8 years. Has a very nice wood shop.

2017 Riverstone Legacy
Northernaire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:53 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
We liked Tropic Winds in Harlingen.
2000 CC Magna #5840 2017 Chevrolet Equinox
Air Force One
Griffin379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:26 PM   #6

Thumbs up

We like Sedona area. Not as hot as Phoenix. Two Pups in a Monaco Dynasty.
npc1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by npc1949 View Post
We like Sedona area. Not as hot as Phoenix. Two Pups in a Monaco Dynasty.
Sedona is too cold in winter.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:09 PM   #8

We really like Bentsen Palm Village in Mission Tx. This will be our 5th year. There are a lot of things to do. There is a very good wood shop. There is a state park next to the park that is very good to ride bikes or walk. Being about one hour inland from the Gulf, it will be warmer. It is very quiet. Behind our RV is a field of cattle. There is a nice dog park. Normally it is full for the winter, but they would have space this winter because many people may not come because of COVID
vanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:19 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check out the rentals at Green Gate Grove in Mission. Nice gated facility.

Ken
Old 10-29-2020, 08:34 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We just cancelled our 6th season at Llando Grande. Obviously we love it. Hoping this Covid thing turns around, and we can go later this winter.
Meets two of your requirements. Not just a wood shop, but a large, well equipped wood shop. An 18 hole golf course. The event center seats 1100, with a cafe and bar and grille. 8 lighted Pickleball courts, 4 swimming pools, two dog parks, the big one is beautiful.Big RC car track.
Friendliest people anywhere.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1621.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	522.4 KB
ID:	306420
Old 10-30-2020, 12:47 PM   #11

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. I have decided to move around after stays of a month or so. Not sure why this did not occur to me sooner than this, but with covid, my guess is that I can rent for a month and then move on. I will cost a little more that way, but not too worried about that right now.

This allows me to sample 4 or perhaps 5 RV winter parks and get a feeling for which one I might want to come back to when things return to normal. Or normaler!!

Sedona although a splendid place to visit is too cold in the winter. Certainly doable, but have spent some time there already. On of my favorite places to stay. I really enjoy a place where you can walk to everything if you choose to.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-OEM View Post
Thanks everyone for their suggestions. I have decided to move around after stays of a month or so. Not sure why this did not occur to me sooner than this, but with covid, my guess is that I can rent for a month and then move on. I will cost a little more that way, but not too worried about that right now.

This allows me to sample 4 or perhaps 5 RV winter parks and get a feeling for which one I might want to come back to when things return to normal. Or normaler!!

Sedona although a splendid place to visit is too cold in the winter. Certainly doable, but have spent some time there already. On of my favorite places to stay. I really enjoy a place where you can walk to everything if you choose to.
Excellent idea! When one has never been in a particular area previously if you take a site for a season you may not like the site, park or area and now you're stuck.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:36 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-OEM View Post

Think that plan through....everywhere I see is requiring a two week quarantine upon arrival. Move every 4 weeks means 50% of your time in quarantine
Old 10-30-2020, 11:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
Think that plan through....everywhere I see is requiring a two week quarantine upon arrival. Move every 4 weeks means 50% of your time in quarantine

No quarantine for Texas visitors.

https://www.traveltexas.com/plan-a-trip/travel-alert/

Tags
winter