Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2010, 09:20 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
River Barge RVing

Where can I find more information about R.V. River cruises. I did a web search and most info is out of date. I would like info on the Mississippi River and other large rivers in the same area. And, for those of you who have put you RV on a barge and traveled this way, it it worth the money?

08 Dolphin on WorkHorse W24
LeeSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I looked into barging down the Mississippi a few years ago and found that all the companies went out of business. Only alternative I found was to park the MH and rent a house boat.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I looked and researched and looked some more last year. As I recall, the coast guard (the government) forced the barge lines out of business due to all the safety regulations. I seem to remember finding one that left New Orleans and traveled the intracoastal waterway for a relatively short route.

And dang it, I really wanted to do the Mississippi river trip.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:45 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Yes, Elkhartjim is very correct. USED to be an RV/Barge company out of N.O. but the regs effectively did away with them. I should have gone the one time that it was "worked-up" to do, but didn't. They used to travel up to near Baton Rouge and party for a day or two, then take trips off from there. Oh well.........

Jim
J.S.Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to deadeye916
Skip the middle man and get yourself a floating RV

deadeye916 is offline   Reply With Quote