Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2016, 11:54 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Road to Heber Info

We are heading from Moab to Heber City going up 191 to Price. Was looking at taking either 6 over to Provo then 189 to Heber or taking 191 to Duchesne then 40 to Heber City.
Has anyone been on these roads or has a recommendation for either one, prefer to go 191 to 40 then to Heber City. We are traveling in a 45' Coach.
Appreciate any info.
rlwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2016, 02:32 PM   #2

We recently went from Heber to Moab. I got differing opinions on taking 6, so decided to take 50 between 15 and 70, which worked out fine...... And just take 52 in Orem over to 189 to get to Heber.

I assume you are staying at Mountan Valley.... It's really a nice place, and we enjoyed our time there.

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:53 PM   #3

Stay on 191 to Duchesne then 40 west to Heber. It's an excellent drive with a big rig and definitely a LOT less traffic.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:13 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thank you for your reply's, appreciate the info.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:19 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
We recently went from Heber to Moab. I got differing opinions on taking 6, so decided to take 50 between 15 and 70, which worked out fine...... And just take 52 in Orem over to 189 to get to Heber.

I assume you are staying at Mountan Valley.... It's really a nice place, and we enjoyed our time there.

Regards
Yes we are staying at Mountain Valley, glad to hear you liked it.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:29 PM   #6

Both drives are enjoyable. The drive up over Soldier Summit is great. Traffic can be a challenge on a holiday weekend or if there is a significant accident. I enjoy the view of the river and high meadows on top. I made this trip on Memorial Day.

I think the drive from Duchesne to Heber is less scenic unless you're a big fan of high deserts (I am). Strawberry Reservoir is nice. The descent into Heber goes through canyons that are nice looking and the roads are fine. Once you clear the canyons at the bottom you will get a great view of Mt. Timpanogos from the back side that is stunning. (This view is what makes Heber scenic so you'll have it the whole time you're at Mountain View.) I made this drive in the middle of June.

I don't know much about 191 from Helper to Duchesne. I'm generally headed South to Moab and it's never made sense to go that way home.

IF you go to Heber via Soldier Summit then you will spend 10-15 miles on I-15 as you go from Spanish Fork to Orem. It usually goes quickly and during most times I would consider it a non-factor. If you end up driving it during the rush hours that is another matter (although nothing like the grid-lock in a major urban center).

No bad choices here. If you want to be on the back roads then definitely go through Duchesne.
Grant Lasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:05 PM   #7

Road to Heber Info

191 between price and Duchesne is an extremely steep climb and descent. It is a beautiful drive just be warned that it is steep. From Duchesne to Heber is a nice drive with high deserts and forest views. There is a fairly steep climb and descent out of the strawberry reservoir valley dropping into Heber.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Regannielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:02 PM   #8

Between Helper and Duchesne on 191 heading north, you will have a descent of 8% grade for 1-1/2 miles then eases to 6% for 2 more miles then stairstepping down a few miles followed by 3-4% downhill.

Some areas of interstates have steepness, too. I-70 west of Denver will have 7% for 6 miles then 2-1/2 miles of 5-6%.

With your coach you will have no problem. We didn't with our 40'.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:30 PM   #9

Ha..good info, heading to Moab from Heber tommorow..nice meeting you rlwhite.. Rob & Jeanne....Mountain Valley is really nice..
jeffnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:40 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnjen View Post
Ha..good info, heading to Moab from Heber tommorow..nice meeting you rlwhite.. Rob & Jeanne....Mountain Valley is really nice..
Jeff and Jen, it was great to meet you in Heber. Hope you guys have an enjoyable safe trip. Look forward to meeting you down the road sometime.