Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2010, 06:31 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Road to Myrtle Beach

On our trip southward we plan to stay at Myrtle Beach State park for a while. Looking at Google and Mapquest I get two different approaches from route 95. One has us get off south of Fayetteville and go rt87, the other farther south to Latta to 501 (think there is a Flying J at the Latta exit).

Any thoughts to which one is faster, easier or more scenic? We aren't really in a hurry but the farther south the better this time of year for us.

TIA Mark
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2010, 06:54 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
We've been down both those routes. 501 is mostly 4 lane going thru small towns with speed traps. Most tourist take 501 and there can be a lot of traffic on it. With school in session the only time you will hit heavy traffic on 501 are weekends. 87 will take you thru more country settings, some small towns. Sounds like you would enjoy 87 better.

Dave
Old 10-31-2010, 09:27 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
While in Myrtle Beach be sure to go to the ONES show at the Alabama theater. The month of November is the start of the Christmas show. We haven't seen it yet but the singing and dancing is outstanding. The regular show ONES changes each year and we have made it to three of the past four years and hope to see the Christmas show this year.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:17 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Or go to Lumberton, take 74 to 410 to 9 to 31. Good roads with light traffic.

Bill
Old 11-03-2010, 08:51 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Thanks everyone. Leaving Sunday for a leisurely drive there.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
In August coming from Shenandoah NP. (northern VA.) to MB we did I-95 / I-795 / I-40 thru Wilmington. It was all backed up in Wilmington where you cross the river to get on route 17. It wasn't construction, just poor road design where all the south bound traffic was down to one lane to get onto 17. We spent an hour in stop-n-go traffic. Next time we will travel further south on I-95 before cutting over. Just my 2 cents.....

On the way back out of MB we did the 501 route. In the summer (Aug) Yes, 501 was busy, but we moved along. Would think the fall traveling on 501 wouldn't be as busy.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:58 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
In August coming from Shenandoah NP. (northern VA.) to MB we did I-95 / I-795 / I-40 thru Wilmington. It was all backed up in Wilmington where you cross the river to get on route 17. It wasn't construction, just poor road design where all the south bound traffic was down to one lane to get onto 17. We spent an hour in stop-n-go traffic. Next time we will travel further south on I-95 before cutting over. Just my 2 cents.....

On the way back out of MB we did the 501 route. In the summer (Aug) Yes, 501 was busy, but we moved along. Would think the fall traveling on 501 wouldn't be as busy.
Thanks,
I contacted the SC parks dept and the directions they gave me are 501. We have overnighted at the Flying J in Latta right off 95 where you pick up 501 so I am considering that as our attack route. This is our first trip with a toad behind us in this MH so we would like to stay away from heavy traffic until we can scope out new areas of adventure. Looking at Google maps the difference in distance is negligible so we would like to take the "road less traveled".
Old 11-04-2010, 06:04 AM   #8

Mark & Nancy, I go the way Bill1374 goes. Have tried different ways, but this one is better in my opinion. A group of us go down every March to golf and that is the way that has worked out the best. Good luck....
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:56 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
If I remember right, the state park is south of downtown MB. We stay more towards North Myrtle Beach at MB Travel Park. I think we were paying $74 a night in Aug. The base rate was $64 per night plus taxes. The girl said something about a new "bed tax". And I'm thinking... I'm bringing my own bed. I'm supplying the bed.....O well....Had a great time and it was hot..... real hot....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:06 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The roads will not be crowded this time of year. I would also suggest you take the Latta exit (Flying J) and head in that way. All four lane roads. Myrtle Beach State Park is so near to the southern end of the beach that I would suggest you go thru Conway and take Rt. 544 (Dick Pond Road) to its intersection with Rt. 17 business. Turn left on 17 and the entrance to the SP will be only about 2 - 3 miles on your right.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:20 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We live here and we will normally go down to the Hook and get off on SC38 and make our way home to Conway on 501.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:36 PM   #12

Once you have tired of the MB traffic, bright lights, been to all the shopping centers, etc. point the little GEO south to Murrels Inlet and Pawleys Island. These are the two areas that reflect what MB was like at one time (Before the developers got control of the zoning commissions). Great seafood restaurants, less traffic, and another great state park (Huntington Beach SP).

Have a great trip

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:30 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
wildtoad,
We went down to Huntington Beach and checked it out. Really nice, great beach. Not as honky tonk there either.
Thanks

Next stop is Savannah. The routes vary from Google to Mapquest or just asking someone. Looks like 17 will go right to 95 but will 17 to 521 then 95 be better?
Old 11-19-2010, 04:25 AM   #14

Glad you liked it. As you probably noticed with Google there are several ways to get from Pawleys to Savannah. Going 521 to Manning to catch 95 is longer but takes about the same time as going 17 to 95. Just a fewer small towns to go through.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote