Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2019, 07:31 PM   #1

Road trip

Alabama to Montana any ideas?
Just1Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2019, 07:39 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Memphis - Graceland and Redezvous Ribs
St. Louis - ride to the top of the Arch
Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Badlands
Devils Tower
Yellowstone and Tetons

Arrive Montana thoroughly exhausted!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Pop View Post
Alabama to Montana any ideas?
Welcome to irv2 -

Simple easy map with a few local stops - MAP - https://binged.it/2LYtv4L

Gets you there - might take you a few months but who's in a Hurry

Lot's to see and do along the way - many detours possible - but if I were to list them all you would need more than just a few months

Let us know more particulars and we can help fill in the gaps.

Hope this is of some help as it is the sort of Route I'd Take/have Taken and it is not only Memorable and Scenic but Just plain Fun.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:19 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Just1Pop,
Welcome to iRV2. Montana is a very large state. What do you want to do? Where in Montana do you want to go? What are your priorities and timeline?

Need some help from you before suggestions an be made.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:46 AM   #5

Alabama is also reasonably large, route selection is going to be different depending on your starting and ending points, Huntsville vs Mobile, etc. Also what are you looking for, most scenic route, easiest drive, quickest, .... A few years ago I helped an old friend drive a U-haul truck from Baton Rouge, Louisiana to Missoula, Montana. We departed Louisiana on a Monday morning, and arrived in Missoula at 9 am on Thursday morning, a distance of just over 2,100 miles, not a fun drive, but the route was fairly good, though with boring sections, we basically followed Hwy 287 from Dallas, TX to Denver, then I-25 up through Wyoming, and I-90 across Montana. I learned that there is a whole lot of nothing in eastern Colorado on that trip, with only a couple of towns over 2,500 people between Amarillo, TX and Denver, CO, a distance of 420 miles.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:54 PM   #6

There are so many routes you could take to Montana. It just depends on YOU and YOUR INTERESTS. You haven't given us much to go on.

I suggest you get a road atlas of the U.S. at a truck stop or book store. Scour the states for things that many interest you. Highlight them and connect the dots and that's your route.

OR.... if you just want to get to Montana the fastest way use Google Maps and put in your starting city and an ending city in Montana & it will usually give you 2 or 3 routes.

Keep in mind, you don't have to stay on interstates. There is a lot of unique, special things out there if you drive secondary roads.

Are you interested in history and museums? Public parks - state and national? 4-wheeling? Hiking? Big cities or exploring small towns?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:06 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. I’ll be leaving B’ham through Memphis, then Kansas City, to Salt Lake City then up to to Missoula. Return through South Dakota through Nashville. Planning on 4-5 days each way and sending about 10 days in Montana with family. This will be my first road trip on our RV of more than 2 days one way. Looking forward to this trip.
Just1Pop is offline   Reply With Quote