Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2015, 09:19 PM   #1
Alx

RV camping San Fransisco

Hi Folks,
We are looking for some suggestions for RV camping (30' Class A, towing a small car) around the San Fransisco area. We will be coming in from Bakersfield, making our way up to Santa Rosa and thought we would like to stay around the outskirts of the Bay area for a few days. We would like to avoid much of the downtown city traffic and look for something on the outskirts. Any suggestion? Thanks so much.
Alex
Alx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2015, 09:32 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Alameda Fairgrounds RV Park is where I stay when I want to visit the SF area.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:33 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thousand Trails and a couple three other CGs in Moran Hill area, if not to far south for you. About 20-25 miles south off San Jose.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:41 PM   #4

Napa Valley Expo
Sonoma County Fairgrounds
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:40 PM   #5

I've never stayed there, but I'd be inclined to recommend the Alameda Fairground as well, and then just drive to the BART light rail station and take the BART into the city. You really don't want to be crossing bridges if you can avoid it, plus parking in the city costs a bunch as well. So once you are in the city, use taxis or Uber to get around the longer distances, and you'll still break even

Steve
Old 03-27-2015, 10:54 PM   #6

FWIW....suggest you do a forum search on this subject. It has been discussed many times here in the past, and you should find some useful info from your search.

BTW, as a former, long time Bay Area resident, I can tell you that the city traffic is not so much the problem. It is the commute from and to an RV park located some distance from the City that you really, really need to consider. The commuter traffic, especially south toward Morgan Hill, can be brutal....and it's getting worse all the time (we were just there 4 weeks ago). Just something to consider in your plans if you are not familar with the area.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:07 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I you are lucky enough to be an Elk, there are several Elks Lodges in near area that have camping. As said the commute hours are brutal. Check out RV Park Reviews.com for ideas and comments.

Don G
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:58 AM   #8
Alx

Thanks

Thanks everyone, some very great ideas and information, to check out. Another questions, we have a small car we are towing, would it not be wise to drive this little car into the city? I have MS so it's not always easy to take a transit system unless they allow a scooter.

Alex
Alx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:31 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I have driven into the city with my car every time I have gone there. When flying in I have rented cars to drive around SF. Parking will be expensive so be prepared.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:16 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Petaluma KOA is nice

Depends on how far away you plan to be. This is about an hour from SF but we thought Petaluma KOA was very nice. If you have children, lots for them to do at the campground itself.

Robin from CA
RobinfromCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:11 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
There is an RV Park along I80 in Vallejo that we have used several times. If you don't want to drive into the city Vallejo has a ferry terminal and it is a pleasant ride to the fishermans warf area.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:31 PM   #12

We just left Marin Park RV in Greenbrae. Came in for a week, stayed for 15 days. This is the only park in the Bay Area I will ever use again. Over the years we've used 4 others. No comparison. The first day, we drove our CR-V in to SF. Next time we walked to the ferry by the RV park & took it over. Soooo much better! Not a park for families with kids.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:21 PM   #13

Try Pelican Point RV Resort, I have stayed there many times. Not too far from SF and other coastal sites. PS: I do not hang around the parks, so I could not comment on amenities. Just a place to park close to places to see. Good luck.
2013 Palazzo 33.3
HVAC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC Bill View Post
Try Pelican Point RV Resort, I have stayed there many times. Not too far from SF and other coastal sites. PS: I do not hang around the parks, so I could not comment on amenities. Just a place to park close to places to see. Good luck. 2013 Palazzo 33.3
Sorry, forgot to tell you the city. Halfmoon Bay, Ca. Also there are some state RV parks in area as well, but you can't make reservations .
HVAC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping