Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2021, 04:44 AM   #43

RV Coast to coast

I drove big trucks for 40 years. What you're doing does not sound like fun but almost like a road rally/race.
Why not slow down and enjoy life? My wife & I did that for 10 yrs until Cancer took her. It took us 18 months to go from MI to FL via Idaho, CA, AZ. We had so many people and things to see. PLUS we met more tp see again or meet up with in the future.
Instead of having a enjoyable trip you'll be debating about how much time to spend. Throw away your GPS buy a good road atlas. Let your wife pick out a route. If you see an advertisement about a festival, say strawberry, stop and enjoy it. Have strawberry shortcake. Meet the locals, what's the rush you have your bed only a few feet behind you?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2021, 07:13 AM   #44

Lower 48 trip

We spent 6 months doing a similar trip 2 years ago. We started in Vermont, followed the Appalachian mountains down to Alabama. We then visited the Florida panhandle and followed the Gulf to New Orleans. We skirted across Northern Texas into New Mexico. We then followed spring up the Rockies. We avoided BOTH coasts ( except for the Gulf). It was a tour of the Heartland. We rarely traveled Interstates, staying where we liked, moving on when we chose. 6 months was perfect. Leaving March 1, we were home by late August. We had previously traveled the coasts and it was refreshing avoiding the crowded ocean bordering states. Highly recommended.
vermontbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:45 AM   #45

Ford Super Duty Owner
My wife and I took a similar trip a couple years ago. I was retired and she had just retired. We lived in Pa at the time and drove to FL in Jan. After the weather cleared we headed west to NOLA, San Antonio, El Passo. We headed from there to Albuquerque and then to the Grand Canyon. I40 was a mess and one guy we met had to get two new WHEELS on his rig. Then we went to San Diego and headed north. Hit Yosemite and Sequoia. There is too much to mention but we didn't make it to Alaska. That is our next trip when we can. When we were at Yellow Stone we had to cut and run home to PA because of a family illness. It was a great trip but Alaska would have been too much for us. We had two dogs with us and I was able to stop along the way to see some AF buddies. Enjoy!
fbuckwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:34 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTwilber57 View Post
My wife an are going to RV coast to coast this Summer. New England to Florida to California up and over. I would to put together a group\channel with others that are doing the same thing so we can all share where we are and what we are doing and learning as we travel. No rules, just RV, Coast to Coast (the big trip) and desire to share the journey. So I'm looking for ideas about how to get others to join in and suggestions on best venue. Thanks !
Two gypsies is right 5-6 months is not enough. We took 2 months to drive from Washington State up to BC, Yukon Territories, Alaska via Alcan and back probably 5K miles. 2 months was not enough for that- we couldhave and would have loved to see more. If your goal is to just document a 10 or 12K mile drive then go for it but you will not experience the adventure of taking your time. Good luck
rfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:12 PM   #47

RVing coast to coast

My wife and I just started the journey ourselves. Headed to the keys in a few weeks from Georgia. We started in Kentucky.
ArmyChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:10 PM   #48

We just planned our similar trip using RV Wizard and I found it to be an amazing help (except for Gas stations). We r going clockwise from San Diego - Redwoods, Portland, Seattle, Minnesota, Mackinac Island, Detroit, Niaga falls, Adirondacks, Acadia NP ME, Newport RI, Annapolis MD, Ocean City MD, Williamsburg VA, Shenandoah NP, Luray Caverns, Cumberland Gap, Ark Encounter & Creation Museum in KY, Mammoth Cave, Paragould AR (Daughter), then back. No problems with reservations ANYWHERE.
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:24 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Howdy JT...Do you or your partner have a "Geezer Pass?"...If you qualify get one...If camped close to a NP as in Bryce Canyon, and no spots open, NPS campsites are close by if you are able to boon-dock...
Also such a ca$h saver for us older folks enjoying the outdoors..
I've heard some folks are shy, why?..We have earned a pass, still alive!
Joyce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:39 PM   #50

Tiffin Owners Club
Angry

Quote:
This is great information. The actual plan as it stands is in the attachment that shows the stops as of now. I tend to bite off more than I can chew so I am trusting that my instincts and wife will let me know if its time to start heading back east... or slowing down and extending into the fall. This is also a test trip for us to see if we like extended camping. We've done 10 day trips for years and love it.

Utah I cant figure out because I feel like April is too early but as you mentioned July may be too hot. Definitly want to do Utah. Maybe Pacific Northwest and Montanna will be next year.

Keep comments coming, I want to learn from everyones experience.

Thanks again !

Jonathan and Mary
Plymouth, MA

Looks like you have a great deal of sites to see. We did a clockwise trip Norfolk VA-Tampa FL-San Diego Ca-Seattle Wa-Boston Ma. Took 7 months May to Dec and wanted to see so much more. I said next time we will go counterclockwise so we would be on the south bound side of 101 to pull into parking areas. I never could get across traffic and had to keep going.

If you do decide to go to the Pacific Northwest this trip maybe head north when at Sandia Peak. Then you could add Mesa Verde National Park and head into Utah and catch the four corners alon the way. So much to see and so little time. Happy trails on whatever you choose and wish you have as much fun as we did.

PM if you want a more detailed list of the sites we saw.
losing_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 01:00 AM   #51

Group messaging setup

At the risk of having the moderators accuse me of profiling another website (their rules, not mine, but what can you say when it's their site?), I'd recommend trying out RVillage dot com. You can make your own group, or have a get together vis-a-vis like a caravan. Hopefully this won't get me banished for trying to help, but the mods here are fierce, even with the innocent attempts at recommendations. Safe, and hoppy travels from The Boondocking Brewer™! (you can check out my site at Homebrewers Welcome!)
Old 01-26-2021, 03:24 PM   #52

Hey twogypsies...

I was whining like a dog wanting to go for a car ride reading your post. Any time you want to ramble on about where to go, what to see, or anything else you you could share on seeing the states I would love to read it. Your way sounds blissful to me, meander, go, stay, all with no timeline just to see the beauty.

Knowledge like yours is priceless. Do you have a blog? I am horrible at trip planning but want to see every large ball of twine and huge frying pan out there... in between mountain hikes and star lit nights on the rim of a canyon...
State by state, road by road...
Mmgulfcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:27 PM   #53

Quote:
Our rough sketch as of right now:
Leave Florida by 4/10
TX-OK 4/20
AZ 5/1
CA 5/10
OR 6/1
MT 6/15
UT 7/1
SD 7/15
MI 7/27

No reservations to keep maximum flexiblility. If we love a spot we can extend trip or dump a location.

Jonathan
For the very best parks on the Oregon coast you need to make reservations now, and even at that you may be too late. Even for the bad parks it might be too late. The only way you can wing it in Oregon might be inland national forest parks, which are many, but planning can help you a lot with decent campgrounds. Finding sites in the summer can be tough, and even more so since they sold another 500,000 rigs this year.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:51 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmgulfcoast View Post
Hey twogypsies...

I was whining like a dog wanting to go for a car ride reading your post. Any time you want to ramble on about where to go, what to see, or anything else you you could share on seeing the states I would love to read it. Your way sounds blissful to me, meander, go, stay, all with no timeline just to see the beauty.

Knowledge like yours is priceless. Do you have a blog? I am horrible at trip planning but want to see every large ball of twine and huge frying pan out there... in between mountain hikes and star lit nights on the rim of a canyon...
State by state, road by road...
Thank you.... no blog!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 04:26 AM   #55

Ford Super Duty Owner
Everyone is wired different

Quote:
Really? 6 months is not enough ? I feel like we are taking our time with stays of 3-4 days in each area. I suppose that if we are running out of time we will slow down and break off the trip to less locations as we go...
You and your wife will find your own pace. It goes with out saying not everyone is the same. You will discover things as you go both in your travelling routines and what you do when you get to an area you want to explore. We spent two weeks in the Grand Canyon area and 1 day if Ft. Stockton Tx.

Weather will play a part in your travels too. Who knew it would snow in Az in May?

Enjoy!
fbuckwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:58 AM   #56

I set up a private group for anybody making an epic trip this year. Focus on first timers to share their stories as we travel. Message me for details.
JTwilber57 is offline   Reply With Quote