Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2016, 01:40 PM   #1
UAV

RV Park Near Downtown Dallas

Hello All...

I have a convention I must attend in Dallas that is at the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center.

Any good tips on RV parks worth a hoot and anywhere near there so I do not have to battle the traffic everyday of the convention?

I will be with the DW and this will be her maiden voyage in our newly remodeled coach so probably need something a little nicer that if yours truly was going solo!

Will be there early March.

Thanks for any and all input!
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2016, 09:35 PM   #2

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Dallas really needs a decent rv park near downtown. There is a West Dallas Mobile Home and RV Park... on Commerce street...but we have never stayed there during our visits. I would look to find a park on the outskirts and face the drive.. sorry. Be careful with going north, the traffic is terrible and the construction is real bad. We stayed at Arlington KOA on our last visit and used the major highways to travel in to town.

Maybe someone who lives in the area can give better advice..... but I just suck it up and face the daily drive. :-(
RussM311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:38 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We stayed four nights at the Dallas/Arlington KOA while visiting family a while back. Nice place..... I would go back there. Twenty miles from the convention center, so it may not be much help to you, but we didn't encounter any real problems on I-30.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:32 AM   #4

I full timed at the same KOA good place
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:33 AM   #5

Don't stay anywhere that has west Dallas in its name. I don't think you are going to find anything close.what hours are your convention Dallas is a early rush hour over by nine. There are a couple of Rv parks on 20 in Forney didn't say they was nice just parks think there is a nice one in Rockwell don't remember the name some one on Rv village was talking about it
Old 01-12-2016, 08:33 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
When attending business events at convention centers, I have found it is less stressful to stay at the best-rated RV park near them, regardless of distance, and take a cab to/from the event. The cab fare, like the travel mileage and park fee, is a business expense. When I like a particular driver, I ask for his card and use him for the entire trip. I never have to worry about traffic, the best routes, or parking places. Have done this in Houston as well as Ft. Worth/Dallas.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:41 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks
Dallas has no "near" parks to downtown
HM (born there)
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:47 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have not stayed at the RV parks mentioned, but drive Dallas traffic every day. Based on traffic patterns I would agree with the Arlington suggestions.

There is however, an RV park on 35 south of downtown that may be ok. Never stayed there, but drive by all the time. If no one is familiar with it I will do a drive thru to get an impression. Sorry I don't have a name right now, and am traveling so can't look it up at the moment
Old 01-12-2016, 10:09 AM   #9
UAV

I called a few places...I am noticing that there are many with flooding issues and one that is now closed due to a recent sale of the business. They are not 100% sure when it will reopen.

Anyone ever stayed at the Cedar Hill State Park? Seems reasonable and plenty of biking and hiking trails.

And about 25-30 minutes southwest of downtown.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:34 AM   #10

I stay there if I was going to the sites with very low numbers are bigger my vote would still be DFW KOA but cedar hill would be cheaper also look at Loyd Park on the same lake
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:58 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Cedar Hill is fine for a State Park.

Quiet & some nice spots.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:27 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
I stayed at Cedar Hill State Park last year when I took MH to Cummins Southern Plains for service. I would recommend it. Convention Center should be 20 minute drive, without traffic. Happy trails.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:46 AM   #13
UAV

Thanks again to all who replied...very helpful.

To those who have been to Cedar Hill State Park: My coach is about 41' long with a CRV Toad...can the spaces down there handle that size okay?

Also, the photos make it look like the slips are very private and pretty darn good size?

Finally, FYI, they are experiencing some flooding problems down there just like everybody else. Not sure when the whole place will be 100% open again....but some of the RV spots are open. The ones right on the lake, not so much.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:40 AM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
If interested in Cedar Hill State Park, I would give them a call. (972)-291-3900

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow