Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2019, 07:33 PM   #1

RV Park Ownership

How many out there have taken the dive and spend $100k for a slip of land in an RV resort?
What are the benefits? What are the pitfalls? Would you do it again?

Jaykris
jaykris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2019, 10:31 PM   #2

$100K? Yikes. I paid $600 for a 1/2570th part of this RV park in Oct. last year just before they raised prices...it's now $1500 or something. Plus a $305/year fee. I'm basically guaranteed a spot whenever I come by. And that is important as more and more snowbirds retire to RVing. There's another park 4 hours from here along the Colorado River that asks $9K plus yearly fees.

Where are you seeing $100K?

I would say it's too much unless it's freaking spectacular. I've visited really nice parks selling spots but really, I've never been all that impressed. They don't have anything that most other parks don't already have for less. And often, the water is bad, or the Wifi is run by a shyster company, or there's fees for everything.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:06 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Was that near Chowchilla CA?

I too am curious where they are charging $100,000 for a RV spot.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:41 PM   #4

Here are some OVER $100,000!!! I don't get it.

https://www.outdoorresort.com/forsale.php
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:54 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
All over in Florida. Some plain parks can be had for $25,000. Some more than $200,000 if they have a casita and maybe a coach port.
2015 Itasca Sunova 30A, Brazel Ultra RV Tune, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs on front, CHF, Hellwig Endlinks, SuperSteer track (Panhard) bar, Roadmaster rear sway bar, Koni Shocks, 900 w. solar, Battle Born House batteries, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Ford Escape PHEV and DW.
waterman480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:01 AM   #6
RV LIFE Support Team

Do you own the land(have a deed)? or is it a rental type that you will move spots each year? Or a long term rental that guarantees you the same spot plus a monthly fee? additioal fees each year besides utilities?

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:07 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
We own a lot at Bella Terra in Foley, Alabama and for us, it was a good decision. And yes, ours was over $100K a couple of years ago ....
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:10 AM   #8

In Aguanga, near Temecula, CA, the spots go for $170k,plus about $400 a month association fee.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:54 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi jaykris,
I have owned 3 lots in the past and am on my 4th lot (class A only resorts). Obviously I would do it again. All were over $100K. All were/are very large lots (1/3 acre), with very large pads (30X100) and coach house (1050 SQ FT under roof). Each lot is customized and built to our specs. Outside must comply with resort covenants. Inside finished as you like. We go first class and have found, for us, this is the way to go. Being this is our 4th lot, it will most likely be our last. We out grew the other lots. We have found a resort that did not exist a couple of years ago. At a high level the three things I look for are:
1. Climate - we wanted cool summers. Now at 3K + feet in elevation.
2. Community - Other owners and the surrounding community.
3. Developer - Resume of the developer, recommendation from owners at past developments.

The list is longer than this, but you get the idea. These are the 3 show stoppers. One must do their do diligence on what is important to them.

For us, the main benefit is community. When you own you have a community. At the local church, you have community.

As to the cost, for reasons to numerous to mention here, when completed out lots, in the past, cost over $200K. The lot we are on now will run close to $400K. This is due to how the coach house is built and finished. Our choice and money. It is time for us to enjoy life.

For those where ownership makes sense for their style of RV living, I highly recommend ownership. Just take the time to do the do diligence before making a purchase.

If you would like additional information as to the do diligence I perform, send me an email.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:05 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Looked at some on the OR coast that were over $100,000 in 1997. Full ownership with ocean front spot.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:31 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you pay property taxes on those lots?

Are they treated as real property for purposes of tax deductions, depreciation, etc?

Do you pay capital gains if you sell at a profit?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:13 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
These are deeded pieces of property. Of course one pays property taxes on the property. The lots are real property. Just like any other piece of real estate. When one sells at a profit one would pay taxes on the profit unless the property is being declared as the main residence. Then, see your tax attorney.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:35 AM   #13

i'm into rving because i want to live where i want, when i want

if i liked an area enough i think i might buy a house, seems like a better investment, but i ended up buying a boat, to complement the motorhome, sort of

marc
marcopolo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:20 AM   #14

Thanks Gary,
We too believe in the "community" part of the equation. We are looking at Hilton Head Motorcoach Resort, a nice place with nice people. Being from So. Fla my blood is too thin for the winters in Atlanta! Looking for a warmer place in the winter....

Jay
jaykris is offline   Reply With Quote