Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2017, 09:55 PM   #71

The issue we're finding that is frustrating is more and more camp grounds are allowing full time residents. And they usually have nice choice sites. Makes one feel like you're imposing on them....
Cjfish33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2017, 01:21 AM   #72

Send a message via Yahoo to Bill98116
My wife and I sold our house in Vegas. She wanted to move back to Texas to be near the grandkids. Now we are full time RVing. The kids live just north of Austin TX. I've called every RV park in the area and all were full with waiting lists. So now what are we going to do? I've even contacted a real estate agent to see if I could buy some land to live in the RV. Guess what? The parcels of land I've found don't allow living in your RV. Who would have thought it would be so difficult? Not sure what we're going to do now. It's not like I can turn around and sell the rig.....we all know a new RV is worth only about half what you pay for it if you want to get out of it. Can't afford to sell it.....can't find a place to park it to live in. What a mess.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:05 AM   #73

Newmar Owners Club
Wish more states would copy Ohio. They have RV parking areas in their travel plazas along the interstate. They offer a dump station and have potable water available plus you can pay for 30 or 50 amp hookup ($20/nt) if you choose to plug in. Really helpful and convenient when you need to stop for a night. Some of the plazas are pull thrus and some are back in. Their website has the pertinent info. If there are more states out there that offer the same, please post!

Airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:48 AM   #74

KOA is filling a void with their Journey concept. We've stayed in a couple and they fill up in the evening and empty out in the mornings. Clean restrooms/showers with laundry and some even provide hot meals. There's just not enough of them along the highways...
Cjfish33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:08 AM   #75

A couple of months ago someone else posted about having problems finding options near Austin, at the time I looked and found several potentially creative options in the area. For example there were several COE and State park campgrounds within 30 miles of Austin with vacancies, these generally have 14 day stay limits and no sewer hookups though. While perhaps not a permanent solution, it might let you bridge the time while you are on a waiting list for a better location.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:21 AM   #76

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When needed we often use www.overnightrvparking.com if we can't find a place near the location we want to visit. Often to visit state capitols. Usually great for a one or two night stop. Easier with a motorhome if you are going to leave right to visit something. We always ask permission and are given it 90% of the time. Have had a lot of great serendipitous experiences too like when we stopped two nights at a Bass Pro Shop (with permission) and had a Jeep club show up with 50+ Jeep's for a club meeting in the parking lot. We were given a free membership and asked to join in the fun since we had a Jeep hooked up to our motorhome. Met a lot of other Rvers that way too. But again, it's good for one or two nights only. We do this when traveling cross country. This November we will drive to southern top of texas from upstate NY. We will take two weeks to do it with all one night stays. Mostly Walmarts but I already found a friendly restaurant that allows overnighting. All places thanks to the overnightrvparking web site. $25/year but when you give feedback on places you stay you get extra weeks added to your membership. For RV parks we always make reservations. Some many months ahead and some a week or so ahead. Been fulltimers over five years now. Love it!!!

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD - 350 Cummins ISC; Toad 2012 Wrangler 6 speed
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:59 AM   #77

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjfish33 View Post
The issue we're finding that is frustrating is more and more camp grounds are allowing full time residents. And they usually have nice choice sites. Makes one feel like you're imposing on them....

We found this exact thing in Lubbock Texas at a place called Camelot. Real nice entry like you were entering a castle area. Right beside a Cosco and shopping area, if that's what you like. When we pulled in, all the roads were asphalt and all sites seem to be back-ins. We also noticed a lot of the sites had super sized propane tanks and the site residence seemed like they had been there awhile. After talking to the host, found out this is a semi-permanent campground. Beautifully kept place. Of their 203 sites, there are 6 pull through right in front of the office for the travelers and the nightly rentals. I still would go back if passing through....if 1 of the 6 were available.

http://www.goodsamclub.com/travel/ca...cgid=930000938
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:29 AM   #78

Winnebago Owners Club
Try state and federal campgrounds. Some have partial hookups.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:47 AM   #79

In MI a booking for state parks can only be made 6 months before the date you want. A friend told me she will book for 1-2 weeks before the date she wants and then cancel the dates she does not. Thai allows her to book honey spot weekends early.

Not sure what I think of this.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:16 AM   #80

Agreed!

I realize that campgrounds are making a more consistent income with the full time residents but yea, we pulled in our current spot yesterday afternoon, looks like 80-90%. Full time residents. And, yes building a RV park would be a major investment with difficulty seeing a return. I am really not sure what the answer is but as a community of large numbers perhaps we can provide some influence. Thinking at some point the RV manufacturers will be as interested in this problem as we are ??
Btheresoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:36 AM   #81

Foretravel Owners Club
The "biggie" for having semi permanent residents is that in the off season those permanent residents help keep the lights on.... The profit margin for campgrounds is very small to none during winter or summer depending on location.
As long as they maintain enough spots for the travelers to use (1 to 14 days) I don't have an issue, If I'm caught short one or 2 nites no biggie, I just go freelance dry camping until I find a regular campground with available spaces.
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:01 PM   #82

Austin Texas have you checked out McKinney SP 10 miles south? Don't give up...can the kids put in a pad for you?
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:44 PM   #83

I've been traveling for the past month in the NW and Western Canada without a single reservation. Can I suggest that you beef up the batteries, get a couple more solar panels, make sure you have fuel for generator and then park anywhere else. This is what we do. Would rather park near a random river or forest or lot and dump/fill once every 5 days or so than just sit in a park looking out my window and into the window of the RV next to me. Expand your ability to park outside of paid grounds and you will find a lot of options that are more beautiful, peaceful, relaxing, free and available.
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink Portblty
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:51 AM   #84

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill98116 View Post
My wife and I sold our house in Vegas. She wanted to move back to Texas to be near the grandkids. Now we are full time RVing. The kids live just north of Austin TX. I've called every RV park in the area and all were full with waiting lists. So now what are we going to do? I've even contacted a real estate agent to see if I could buy some land to live in the RV. Guess what? The parcels of land I've found don't allow living in your RV. Who would have thought it would be so difficult? Not sure what we're going to do now. It's not like I can turn around and sell the rig.....we all know a new RV is worth only about half what you pay for it if you want to get out of it. Can't afford to sell it.....can't find a place to park it to live in. What a mess.
Surprising given our recent string of 100+ days. This may not be a permanent solution but try Jim Hogg Park COE, Lake Georgetown. They have standard electric sites 55' back in. They may have a max stay but it would buy you some time to look.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, M&G 2.0 Proportional Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote