Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
Billy Sol Estes had his home there decades ago
anyone remember him?
The world's greatest ammonia tank salesman!!! Sold thousands of them he did not even have.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamer36535 View Post
IMO Pecos texas is the arm pit of the nation...depressing beyond belief. Nothing going on, town is dead, on and on.
That's what I was thinking. About the best thing you can do in Pecos is keep driving. In fact that's true for West Texas in general.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow, lots of hatin' going on for far West Texas! I was born and raised in Pecos, and even though I have been around the world multiple times, I still live within 100 miles of Pecos. The Sonoran Desert has it's own beauty, you just have to know how to see it. Believe it or not, Pecos is the 6th fastest growing town in the country right now....Reeves County is smack dab in the middle of the largest untapped oil and gas reserve in the world. Unfortunately, that means that there really are no RV park spaces available because they are filled with people that can't find anywhere else to live. Your best bet for the area is the Ft Davis, Balmorhea are......besides they are more "scenic"

Enjoy your time in the area, there may not be a whole lot to see or do, but there are some really fine people that live out here in the "armpit of the country".
Lee L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
Wow, lots of hatin' going on for far West Texas! I was born and raised in Pecos, and even though I have been around the world multiple times, I still live within 100 miles of Pecos. The Sonoran Desert has it's own beauty, you just have to know how to see it. Believe it or not, Pecos is the 6th fastest growing town in the country right now....Reeves County is smack dab in the middle of the largest untapped oil and gas reserve in the world. Unfortunately, that means that there really are no RV park spaces available because they are filled with people that can't find anywhere else to live. Your best bet for the area is the Ft Davis, Balmorhea are......besides they are more "scenic"

Enjoy your time in the area, there may not be a whole lot to see or do, but there are some really fine people that live out here in the "armpit of the country".
Yes, in many peoples eyes West Texas doesn't have the beauty they want to see. But the hate against the area is surprising. I also grew up in Permain Basin. Recently drove from Ft. Stockton to Carlsbad, NM. via Pecos. I've never seen a oil boom the likes of what is happening now. Drill Baby Drill!! Found excellent tamales in Pecos.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Ben's Spanish Inn in Pecos used to be the best Mexican food this side of the border. People drove 75 mi from Odessa and Midland to eat there. Of course that was back in the 70's. Not sure if it is still there.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:07 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
I put carpet in the Reeves County courthouse decades ago, right after Billy Sol went to the pokey
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #21

Well thanks everyone for all the advice and such. We are stopping there to get our mail so should just be an overnight. There has to be something good about it, at least I will try to be positive.

Merry Christmas!
TeresaOwen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Unfortunately, Ben's Spanish Inn has been closed for many years. Their Chili Rellenos were to die for! The best Tex-Mex in town nowadays is Alfredo's, on US 285 not too far North of the Rodeo Arena. Be advised that it will be packed around lunch time, with oil field workers.

Teresa, you and Mike should take time to see the West of the Pecos Museum if you have time, it's not large but has some great history of the area. Quite a bit of the "stuff" there is from our family, who settled in the are in 1899. My dad supervised the rebuilding of the wooden tower Eclipse windmill that is in the Museum square.
Lee L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #23

We arrived in Pecos this afternoon. All is good with the TRA-Park. It isn't anything fancy but showers were clean, sites level, electricity works and we have a concrete pad. Most of the oil workers are gone for the holiday. Can't complain!

Thanks everyone for your input.

Not our favorite place in the world but we make do! Alfredo's was packed at lunch time, so we didn't stop, Museum was closed, so didn't stop. Mail wasn't in but maybe tomorrow . That is when it is due in anyway.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to everyone! Arizona we are heading your way
TeresaOwen1 is offline   Reply With Quote