Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2013, 07:31 AM   #1

Smile RV Parks Tybee Island, Georgia

I'm thinking about going to Tybee Island this summer and take the grandkids (preteen and teens) looking for historical placesand visits...anyone ever visited Rivers Edge RV Park and how was it? Any suggestions close to the beach in the Savannah area would be appreciated...thank you!
Bobby88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2013, 06:11 AM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
Tybee is right on the end of the Savannah River as it empties into the Atlantic. Rivers End is just west/south of the river and is not on the beach, but is walkable if you are in shape. The place has changed hands a couple of times but I believe the city owns it now. Crowded when full, but close to the water.
The last time we stayed there, there were signs not allowing swimming on the beach. I figured it had to do with sanitation etc because of the river water. It might also had to do with danger of swimmers getting washed off shore. I really don't know. It is pretty interesting to watch the pilot boat go out and meet the incoming ships and transfer the pilot from the boat to the ship.
As far as history, Savannah is history. If you are into old architecture and landscaping you will love it. DO NOT in any way damage the oaks! I expect that you might get drawn and quartered if you did anything like that. These people get upset about their live oaks.
Prices are high, food is mostly good, River Street is interesting and crowded. It gets HOT there in mid summer.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We stayed at River's edge just a month ago. It's your only choice anywhere near the water and Savannah. It was clean, but a bit more "rustic" than most modern RV parks. Be aware, to get to the park you will be driving through downtown Savannah. You need to be confident and comfortable manuevering your rig in close quarters. There will be plenty of sites that will accomodate your 33' rig.

I really enjoyed our tour of Fort Pickens while on Tybee, an old and mostly intact fort dating to the 1840s. And if you like seafood at all, you've got to go to the Crab Shack. One of the best meals we've had in a long time.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are only going to do the beach "thing" a couple of days, I would suggest staying at the beach a couple of days and then moving to Skidaway Island State Park. Skidaway has large sites under huge oaks. The park is at the edge of Savannah and close to everything. A great place to take bikes. Also a hiking trail through the marsh.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #5

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I have spent time in Skidaway and Fort McAllister Historic Park. From my personal experience Fort McAllister Historic Park is nicer and cleaner than Skidaway. It also is on a small island so it is very private and close to Savanna.
justlkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlkn View Post
I have spent time in Skidaway and Fort McAllister Historic Park. From my personal experience Fort McAllister Historic Park is nicer and cleaner than Skidaway. It also is on a small island so it is very private and close to Savanna.
we stayed at Fort McAllister in September and really enjoyed our stay. Also nice seafood restaurant close to the park and an easy drive 20 minute drive to Savannah. When doing the riverfront eat at the Cotton Exchange, the salmon club is the best!! and a very, very good shrimp salad sandwich.

Not sure if the kids will like Savannah. Not really much for them.

Tom
mga60tw is offline   Reply With Quote