Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2014, 02:06 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
That is why we like state parks, especially the more remote ones. PA. has a bunch in the NE. section that have been updated with new electric and showerhouses, but offer locations that are very spacious, heavily wooded, on a river/ lake, tons of hiking, berry picking, possible bears...peace and quiet. That is what I call "camping"...So I'll call them campgrounds...

On the other hand, we have stayed at RV parks / resorts such as in Myrtle Beach. 1200 sites, load and loads of people. But, to be close to the ocean and the strip, that is the only choice. I think that is why my DW hates MB...I do hate the traffic there.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2014, 04:46 PM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
We only camp in State or National parks (or Forests, as the case may be - non-commercial locations I suppose you could say.) We don't care for the level of activity, the density, or the size of commercial locations, and since we spend almost all of our time hiking, canoeing, cycling, etc. outdoors, the public park locations make the most sense to us.

We don't want Internet or T.V. (or to even hear their use to be honest), and we can easily get by without water or even power hookups when camping with little to no discomfort (old tent campers.) Plus, we are not often welcome at commercial sites when we use our vintage camper since many seem to only want fairly modern RVs (which is understandable, all things considered.)

I would say that if you don't care for commercial RV parks (or whatever name you prefer, no slight intended) than you should not care if it make you seem odd to others.

- Randy
Old 03-23-2014, 08:46 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
My site I look for would be a state park, with electric service. Like a shady site, preferably backing up to a wooded area such as this one at Cook Forest in NW. PA. Plenty of space between the sites, no TV service, Verizon service. Good hiking in every direction, River near by for kayaking, small country store for simple supplies if needed, restaurants within 15 minutes for a dinner out (Farmers Inn or Vinny's). At this park (Cook Forest) we'll do a week here, and then move 10 miles up river to the next state park (Clear Creek) for another week.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bad neighbors

Some of the worst temporary neighbors we've had have been in state and county campgrounds. We've packed up and moved more than once. We've had better luck in RV resorts. Note that I said better not perfect.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:28 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
Some of the worst temporary neighbors we've had have been in state and county campgrounds. We've packed up and moved more than once. We've had better luck in RV resorts. Note that I said better not perfect.
Another big difference I've found in Campgrounds vs Rv parks. If you are leaving the campground for a few hours or the day, you better lock up anything that you want there when it you get back. An RV park, no too much to worry about.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:49 PM   #20

RV park or campground?

Absolutely yes! Would not have them any other way.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:30 PM   #21

We too like both, or rather all three: rv parks, developed campgrounds, and boondocking. Have had great and less than great experiences at each.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:25 AM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just names to me, we stay in a camping resort that has everythng from pop-ups to big DPs and everyone gets along great.
High Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:49 AM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Another big difference I've found in Campgrounds vs Rv parks. If you are leaving the campground for a few hours or the day, you better lock up anything that you want there when it you get back. An RV park, no too much to worry about.
I'm sorry to hear that you've had bad experiences with theft. In almost 40 years of camping in state and national parks we've never had a single thing stolen (knock on wood!) and we are away from the site most of the day doing things out and about. We do lock bicycles and batteries, but other than that we just leave everything where it is when we leave to do something...

- Randy
Old 03-24-2014, 06:58 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWayRand View Post

I'm sorry to hear that you've had bad experiences with theft. In almost 40 years of camping in state and national parks we've never had a single thing stolen (knock on wood!) and we are away from the site most of the day doing things out and about. We do lock bicycles and batteries, but other than that we just leave everything where it is when we leave to do something...

- Randy
Never had a bad experience. I've been in CGs where people forgot to lock bikes and were up telling the manager or ranger. In parks where you snowbird or fulltime, you don't have to lock anything. I and everyone else leave out golf clubs, chairs, portable satellite dishes, coolers, etc. Rv parks and resorts are safer than your sticks and bricks.

Its more a sense of community than any place I've ever know. I will agree, its not someplace to go "get away from it all". If you want to camp, you need a campground. If you want to just travel or live, go for a RV park or resort.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:16 PM   #25
HHg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
That's why they make chocolate and vanilla. Some do and some don't. Neither is odd IMO. Personal choice is a freedom we all enjoy.
Ditto.....well said !!

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:21 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Same here never had anything messed with in 25 years staying at State and National parks.

Do 95% of our stays at state parks with electric service. Besides camping only on the weekends in the spring and fall, most of our summer stays are for 7 nights. That was one reason the RV trailer we have has a 53 gallon fresh to last 7 days. We usually do two 7 night stays per trip in the summer. So in in June, July and August we'll take two weeks each. We might only move 10 to 50 miles between state parks.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:32 PM   #27

We like them all for various reasons. If thru traveling with an overnight stop, an RV park near (not on) the interstate fits the bill. If we are staying in one place for awhile, we really enjoy COE or state parks. We have stayed in locations like Las Vegas and San Francisco where we were parked check to jowl but it didn't matter because we were tourists there.

There is good and bad where ever you stop, its all about your attitude!
linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:32 PM   #28

We too enjoy State parks/COE parks usually with only Water and Electric. I had all the boon docking I wanted during my military service. We have never had a theft problem and we never lock grill, dish, chairs, etc or the basement doors.
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote