Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2014, 05:22 PM   #1

RV parks vs campgrounds.

Hello fellow travelers,

Am I odd that I do not like RV parks. They appear to be no better than spread out hotels fit for a few nights of road relaxation and not vacations. I look for campgrounds with limited services. Is that not the benefit of having an RV. I can bring my services with me. I apologize if I offended anyone, that is not my intention.
Knagy2688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #2
Community Administrator

That's why they make chocolate and vanilla. Some do and some don't. Neither is odd IMO. Personal choice is a freedom we all enjoy.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #3

It is hard to tell one from another. Some use the named for marketing with no connection to what is offered. The good news is that we have a choice.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:38 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
That's why they make chocolate and vanilla. Some do and some don't. Neither is odd IMO. Personal choice is a freedom we all enjoy.
X2

This really leads back to the discussion of "campers" vs "travelers".

I certainly understand the lure of a secluded, wooded campsite. I've enjoyed many evenings in those sorts of places. But, as I got older and decided to buy a coach to tour the country, I didn't want to be "camping". I was "traveling" and used RV Parks because they had facilities and I could get a clear view of the southern sky.

There's no right or wrong here. The OP asks "Is that not the benefit of having an RV?" I think the benefit of having an RV is freedom... not having all of use them in the same manner for the same purpose.

Have fun.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:05 PM   #5

Certainly agree with campers VS travelers. We like to travel. We will log 10,000 miles again this year. However, when we are at home (S&B location) we will also utilize the local county parks during the week. We go there Sunday evening and leave Thursday afternoon before the noise arrives. When traveling it becomes an economic issue. At 7 mpg traveling 15 miles off the road to a state park costs 4 gal at $4.00 - so we stay along the travel route and near shopping and restaurants.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:22 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Benefits differ from one person to another. In our case the benefit is having a winter home that is portable so we are not confined to one location. Other wise we prefer the "comforts" and challenges of RV parks or resorts. Careful choices and experience have mitigated the challenges to make them trivial for us.

Anyone who prefers something else is just all right with me. The only downside I see is we may never have the pleasure of each others company, we will always stay in different places.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:03 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knagy2688 View Post
Hello fellow travelers,

Am I odd that I do not like RV parks. They appear to be no better than spread out hotels fit for a few nights of road relaxation and not vacations. I look for campgrounds with limited services. Is that not the benefit of having an RV. I can bring my services with me. I apologize if I offended anyone, that is not my intention.
No need to apologize. If you are just an casual user, campgrounds with limited services are more relaxing. Stay in the RV for 6 months or so, and you will learn about those "limited services". Stay put somewhere and move every week to dump and fill water. It gets old.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:15 PM   #8

What IS the difference that you see between RV parks. resorts, and campgrounds? They can call themselves what they like, can't they? Are there standardized amenities that make one park a RESORT vs just an RV Park vs a campground?

I know of a park that has different options for your type of camping. They have an area where spots are right on top of each other, another where they are spread out, and even still, areas away from other campers altogether. My friends and I prefer to get away from other campers in a field area with water and electric hook ups. Lots to do from canoeing to wildlife viewing. A café, a general store, a pool, and other amenities on the grounds if you want something. Lots of wooded areas, a lake, and a river on the grounds.

Another RESORT I have been to has sites right on top of each other and barely any open places for travelers. They have stores and restaurants on property with pool, and other stuff too. Not much wooded area there, mostly manicured plants, and hedges.

Then there are the State Parks I know of. They have bath houses and not much more than hook ups for RVs out in the wilderness.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:22 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
I think we need a government regulated standard in this area so none of us will get confused or misled....NOT!!!!!
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
I think we need a government regulated standard in this area so none of us will get confused or misled....NOT!!!!!
Yep that it. Get the government in there to get it straightened out. They do that so well. Lmao
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:57 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
campground and RV Park are pretty much interchangeable terms for most folks. Personally, I like a quieter more rustic place like a state park or a corp of Engineers park over any commercial campground. More space, more natural setting, etc.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:22 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We enjoy both, but as our RV is now our home, and no longer just for recreation, we wanted something more "residential", I.E. - bigger. Of course that limits us when it comes to stays in public campgrounds. When traveling we will use public facilities when we know, usually through a recommendation, they can accommodate our "mobile mansion". Last summer we had a great stay at a county park in Williamsburg VA, recommended by friends we've made on the road - they even tipped us as to which site to reserve.

As has been said, the lifestyle is about freedom and choice. In that regard I think we're all after the same thing.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #13

Our first choice is always a public park - national, state, national forest, COE, county, city or even boondocking. We're self-contained so we don't need hookups. We've full-timed volunteering and otherwise staying in public parks for 16+ years. We always find a spot for our 40' motorhome.

We love the big spaces and privacy and most often there are hiking trails right from the campground or special things to see. We cannot stand RV parks where you're seeing another RV from every window you look out.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Well I do not know you but I would bet you are "odd" !
Be Safe and enjoy the journey.