Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2019, 08:05 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
RV parks with ethernet cable internet access

Hi all, I'm a full-timer and I love it. I'm an RN and I work for a major health insurance company and they have very strict requirements for internet access. I'm having a VERY difficult time finding RV parks or campsites that offer guests ethernet cable internet connections. I expect to pay for the service myself but have discovered many parks won't allow residents to have their own service or they simply dont have access available in their area. I'm in Conroe, Texas for the next month or so but would love to find other options in Texas and other states. I'm not allowed to use satellite, WiFi, or broadband due to latency and security issues. It must be a hardwired cable connection; ie...Spectrum, Comcast, AT&T.

Any suggestions are welcome. If you have visited a park that had this available or know where I can get a list of parks with this service. PLEASE...let me know. I've spent hours upon hours on the phone with parks and hoping there is an easier way to obtain this information.

Thanks.
Pinky
Pinky1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2019, 08:17 PM   #2

haven't seen ANY hardwired connections since the old dial-up days. a KOA in ohio had wired some sites with a landline connection that we could use for dial-up.

your best bet is a snowbird park or one that caters to full-time residents, not travelers and that allows connections to the local cable company.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:22 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree, look for snowbird or long termers parks. they are more apt to have hardwired servuce available.

Ideally your empliyer should get their act together on security and support for mobile workers. It's been commonplace for a long time - its not rocket science.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky1960 View Post
Hi all, I'm a full-timer and I love it. I'm an RN and I work for a major health insurance company and they have very strict requirements for internet access. I'm having a VERY difficult time finding RV parks or campsites that offer guests ethernet cable internet connections.
Extremely unlikely that you would be able to find anything along these lines. It would be outrageously cost-prohibitive, especially since every campsite would likely need its own network interface equipment, like a cable modem.

You should have a long talk with your IT people and ask them for practical solutions. For example, VPN access is very secure in that the Internet communication is encrypted. You can combine that with remote terminals as well.

Roger
Old 07-07-2019, 08:45 PM   #5

a VPN is a good idea. can't see why any IT pro would object to using one.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:48 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I am hesitant to post because I am far from a tech guy that totally understands the whole wifi, internet on the road stuff. I will give my two cents, take it for what it's worth, and double check me.

I too work on the road but my company doesn't care about how I get wifi, they have their own firewalls. My thought for your situation is what about getting a router that will use cell sim cards and on the occasion a decent free wifi signal from the campground you are staying in and then from that router run an ethernet connection to your company computer? Again, I'm a simple man and don't know all the ins and outs.

What kind of surprises me is why they would worry about the way you get internet when I would think the security is from the company end..... meaning, they would have their own firewall and security measures on their end before allowing you to log on.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:28 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Hi all, I'm a full-timer and I love it. I'm an RN and I work for a major health insurance company and they have very strict requirements for internet access. I'm having a VERY difficult time finding RV parks or campsites that offer guests ethernet cable internet connections. I expect to pay for the service myself but have discovered many parks won't allow residents to have their own service or they simply dont have access available in their area. I'm in Conroe, Texas for the next month or so but would love to find other options in Texas and other states. I'm not allowed to use satellite, WiFi, or broadband due to latency and security issues. It must be a hardwired cable connection; ie...Spectrum, Comcast, AT&T.

Any suggestions are welcome. If you have visited a park that had this available or know where I can get a list of parks with this service. PLEASE...let me know. I've spent hours upon hours on the phone with parks and hoping there is an easier way to obtain this information.

Thanks.
Pinky
Some ideas.....
> why not just use the internet at your major health provider company locations you are near to?
> maybe find a local rent-an-office location (office hotel) that includes wired internet?
> as others said - stay at places that support snowbirds or full-time residents. they are likely to have an ISP (Comcast, Spectrum, Xfinity, etc.) that provides monthly service to your address. I don't know about TX but The Great Outdoors in FL is an example.

I don't mean to bash your "...major health insurance company..." but it seems to me they are way behind the times. I'll guess it is easier for them to institute this policy than trust employees to be careful with their network connections. I never did any projects for major health insurance companies but I have worked for major banks which tend to be very restrictive; and even they let you connect via WiFi albeit via their VPNs, etc.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:23 PM   #8

I agree with what the others have said so far, it sounds like your employer is about 10 years behind the times on security. Secure access over VPN tunnel should not care if it is on wifi or wired.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:07 AM   #9

Kelly works for the feds and she uses a VPN on her laptop and they don't care how she connects.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:37 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
A wired connection would be less safe than using a smartphone for internet access. You can use PdaNet on the smartphone (if your cell provider will allow it, Verizon does) and connect the computer to the phone with a USB cable. Boom, hard wired access.

If you don't know exactly where the wire goes, there could be a Man In The Middle capturing everything you do. Very little chance of that when connected to a smartphone by a USB cable for internet, especially if you have a smartphone device just for this need with no extraneous apps on it that pose a security risk.

Using a VPN is another added layer of security on top of all that above ^^^
Old 07-08-2019, 06:11 AM   #11

Quote:
I'm not allowed to use satellite, WiFi, or broadband due to latency and security issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
A wired connection would be less safe than using a smartphone for internet access.
This is the first thing that came to mind for me. While certainly not a 'cable' connection, 3g or LTE or whatever wasn't on the list of prohibited methods, either. I use my Verizon phone as a hot spot once in a while, and it's usually fast enough for routine work. Never tried streaming a movie, but I don't think that's what the OP needs it for anyway.

Oh, and what I know about this stuff would fit in a thimble, with room to spare, so there's that.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:28 AM   #12

Quote:
I'm not allowed to use satellite, WiFi, or broadband due to latency and security issues. It must be a hardwired cable connection; ie...Spectrum, Comcast, AT&T.

Pinky
I don't know what you mean by "broadband" but I suspect you mean cell provided. The thing is, a good WIFI or cell provided connection has no more latency than some hard wired connections, and security behind your own firewall with a cell provided Internet connection would be a lot better than a shared wired ethernet connection. Sounds like your "major health insurance provider" has an empire builder for an IT guy instead of a currently knowledgeable professional.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:24 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I want to thank each of you for your input on this issue. I'm very low tech but even I know how backwards my current employer is when it comes to IT. I've never seen anything like it in all my years in banking (in a past life) and now 30 years in nursing/healthcare. Each nurse that works from home is supplied with an Aruba device (VPN? ) this connects directly to the ethernet cable and allows direct access to my employer's network, all incoming and outgoing communication is thru employers network. BAM...seems secure to me. We are not allowed to connect a printer, fax or any other device to their hardware...why? I do not know. I contacted IT 3 weeks ago about broadband which had a modem, hardwired to my computer but the actual signal/connection was thru Dish installed outside which sends a signal to a TOWER...not a SATELLITE..and IT said NOPE there are latency issues . I've been with this company for 3 years, I LOVE working in my shorts and flip flops and NO COMMUTE and I plan to retire there in 8 years....yea! HOWEVER they are raining on my parade with this requirement and I still dont have a good answer from IT. Makes no sense. I'm thinking HIPPA regulations....heavy federal fines..someone hacking into their network and accessing private health information, somehow they believe their restrictions keep your data safer and avoid data breaches. Someone mentioned working for the feds using VPN. I dont see any reason this wouldn't work for healthcare if it works for the feds.

Thanks again for all your ideas. I'll keep trying till they say yes. I'm stubborn like that. Lol. In the meantime...I'm checking out the Snowbird parks.

Pinky
Pinky1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:43 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm not siding with the backward IT guys, but Protected Medical Information, governed by HIPPA regs, is a VERY big deal to medical providers.

Working in an ER once, I snapped a pic of a patient's laceration with my phone to show the doc, and nearly got terminated...

I learned fast, no PMI on any devices not supplied by the hospital. Never, ever, ever...

Tags
cable, internet