Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2023, 01:16 PM   #1

RV Sites on Lakes in West Arkansas or NE Oklahoma?

After a mostly successful two week long trip I am looking for some one week trips. The flat tire and dealing with roadside assistance was the negative point. I am looking for a campground that has rv sites on the water and if there was a place to rent a boat for fishing would be a huge plus. I am in the NW corner of Arkansas and I would like to limit it to a five hour drive. It can be either a private campground, state parks or COE parks. I will want full hookups. There are a lot of lakes in these areas, but I don't know if there are any locations that have boat rentals. My wife is wanting to go fishing badly. If a perfect location came up this could be a recurring trip every month or so.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2023, 01:49 PM   #2

Full Hookups on COE lakes in the area are few. Big M on Table Rock has the most, and over half of the total available.

State Parks - Lake Fort Smith in Arkansas has at least 20. Don't think it meets other requirements.
Bull Shoals SP offers several FHU. I'm not sure about where area they are located in, along the lake or along the river below the dam. Most folks who enjoy fishing want to camp below the dam.

OK - I really don't see any SP FHU except the area below the dam for Grand Lake O' the Cherokees.

Table Rock Lake SP has several FHU sites, and you can rent anything on that lake. Just a matter of having enough cubic dollars.

I really don't track any data on commercial parks, but some of the RPI associated parks along Grand Lake O' the Cherokees might meet your requirements.

Eagle's Landing; Pine Island RV; Pelican Landing.
OldBaldFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 03:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBaldFat View Post
Full Hookups on COE lakes in the area are few. Big M on Table Rock has the most, and over half of the total available.

State Parks - Lake Fort Smith in Arkansas has at least 20. Don't think it meets other requirements.
Bull Shoals SP offers several FHU. I'm not sure about where area they are located in, along the lake or along the river below the dam. Most folks who enjoy fishing want to camp below the dam.

OK - I really don't see any SP FHU except the area below the dam for Grand Lake O' the Cherokees.

Table Rock Lake SP has several FHU sites, and you can rent anything on that lake. Just a matter of having enough cubic dollars.

I really don't track any data on commercial parks, but some of the RPI associated parks along Grand Lake O' the Cherokees might meet your requirements.

Eagle's Landing; Pine Island RV; Pelican Landing.
The Grand Lake O' the Cherokees is about 60 miles from me, which would be great for quick getaways. I checked into Bull Shoals and I could not find any available dates, but it would be a good choice also.
Old 05-31-2023, 03:14 PM   #4

My dad tried for years to get into Petit Jean, but by the way his choice for vacation weeks came at IP, he was never able to schedule his vacation in time to get a reservation. This was back in the 60's and 70's when it had to be done by phone. Arkansas State parks are even more popular now.

Personally, I think they are better than Texas or Oklahoma parks. Oregon is the best SP system I've seen. I'm sure others will disagree.

That is a wonderful area to retire. Really enjoyed my years at Fayetteville before joining the Navy. I love the area,

but my kids and gk are near Dallas.
OldBaldFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 05:02 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awrh...L7kwKukkTVpwc-

Would this be what you're looking for?
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 05:19 PM   #6

Full hookups are few and far between at any of the SP or COE campgrounds I've been to.

As far as fishing goes Bull Shoals-White river SP is beside the river and there is a dock there where you can rent a boat or hire a guide. The guides here can get you into some really nice trout.

https://www.arkansasstateparks.com/p...ver-state-park

Lakeview campground is right next to Bull Shoals lake and there is a large marina at one end of the CG for boat rentals.

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/232619?
tab=info

Both of these are nice CG's and are located in the north central part of the state.
Old 05-31-2023, 10:05 PM   #7

I recently fished the White River at Cotter, AR and stayed at Denton Ferry Campground, which is a private campground with FHU. You can back right back to the White River with a nice view. It was nice and right on the river. Across the highway is the town of Cotter (trout capital of the world) and there is a public boat ramp and a place that has guide service "Cotter Trout Dock" and I think also rents boats. My wife and I went out with a guide and had a blast. We ate some of the trout last night and they were good!
That area has lots of guide service and boat rentals on the White River. If you are rich you can fly your plane in to Gaston's Lodge and use all their facilities.
Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 10:08 PM   #8

Raymond, see my trip log here https://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/arka...ng-614498.html.
Thanks,
Old 05-31-2023, 10:08 PM   #9

not exactly NW Arkansas, but we were at Lake De Gray State park south of Hot springs last Thursday night, and they have a nice newly renovated water front campground with full hookup sites.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 05:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Road Travelers View Post
I recently fished the White River at Cotter, AR and stayed at Denton Ferry Campground, which is a private campground with FHU. You can back right back to the White River with a nice view. It was nice and right on the river. Across the highway is the town of Cotter (trout capital of the world) and there is a public boat ramp and a place that has guide service "Cotter Trout Dock" and I think also rents boats. My wife and I went out with a guide and had a blast. We ate some of the trout last night and they were good!
That area has lots of guide service and boat rentals on the White River. If you are rich you can fly your plane in to Gaston's Lodge and use all their facilities.
Thanks,
Guided fishing trips would probably be the best route, since we have not been fishing for about 40 years. At that time I sold our bass rig and my wife made me promise her to take her fishing sometimes. But life took over and I had to do a lot of work out of state.

After looking at the Denton Ferry website this could be our spot.
Old 06-01-2023, 06:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Road Travelers View Post
Raymond, see my trip log here https://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/arka...ng-614498.html.
Thanks,
What guide service did you use? Also is this fishing only fly fishing?
Old 06-01-2023, 07:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
What guide service did you use? Also is this fishing only fly fishing?
We arranged it through the Cotter Trout Dock: 800-447-7538, www.cottertroutdock.com. Debbie is the name of the lady in the office. She will take pictures of you before going out. She has helped us two or three times over the years. We just do a 4 hour trip, but they offer longer trips. They will furnish rods and everything for spin casting or fly fishing. They will use spinner baits or shrimp, depending on what the fish prefer.
Hope you enjoy,
Old 06-01-2023, 01:40 PM   #13

Beaver Lake near Eureka Springs Maybe? I was there a few weeks ago and from our campsite I could cast from the front bumper of my motorhome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0598.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	433.4 KB
ID:	394261

Tags
arkansas