Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #1

RVing away from people.

I am new to RVing. The few times that I have gone camping, it has been to a state or national park with campers packed in like cheap condos without walls. Each time out has always had the jerks that crank up the stereo in the middle of the night, got drunk and fighting... Last night, there was the full screen projection tv that was set up by the shower-rest rooms with booming speakers that echoed through the entire park. I really pitied the parents of small children as the movie played the obligatory sex scenes.

I and wife are solitary types that would like to be sportsman-primitive, but still have electricity, a "potty" and a few of the comforts of a home. I have a 13" TC on an older, very nicely equipped diesel F350. We are nearly boon-docker equipped, but lack a large enough generator. We are clearly going to the wrong places. I will be setting up a generator this week.

My question is how to find the out of the way spots that offer some privacy, but won't break the bank.
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2012, 10:06 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Word of mouth? Google boondocking...in your area....Drive until you find a place to camp that you like......and those are the ideas I came up with in 20 secs.....
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hopefully after Labor Day weekend... the camping rush will end and peace will reign moreso in the national forests/parks/state parks. Private campgrounds have more rules, and have them closer enforced.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree - it's no so much the WHERE, but the WHEN that determines how many people you'll be camping with. Avoid holidays and weekends.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:58 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
My two cents worth

I agree that the camping season can be very unsettling. Google "Boon docking" or some version of that maybe with RV in it and see what you get. If you're out west there are lots of places with solitude. Mid-week is better then weekends and anything close to a city is just a madhouse during the summer.

I get real picky about putting up with rude, vulgar, rowdy, drunk, high, threatening, slobs. I have even looked into buying land in my favorite spots so I can spend time away from these jerks. Right now I am visiting Tucson and camped in the family's back yard with rain falling on the roof and I am very happy nooo body is coming out in the night and the rain and I have the place all to myself.

Makes me sound like a fussy old bitch well.... so be it!!! Manners and consideration for others has gone the way of high button shoes these days some people are out to have a good time at others expense and don't give a damn about your needs.

Oh dear I have to get off the soap box I'm getting dizzy up here
Old 08-19-2012, 11:09 PM   #6

It's hard to believe that cranking up the stereo in the middle of the night, drunk and fighting and setting up a projector for movies happened in a state and especially, a national park! In 16+ years of full-timing in public parks we have never had those experiences nor would the state or national parks allow it. We have volunteered often in those kinds of parks and we know that they would not have been allowed. We have had loud, inconsiderate folks in private parks. Can you tell us where this happened?
Also, wait until you are in a boondocking situation with a neighbor that doesn't like your generator!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:11 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Memorial Day to Labor Day, too many campers are sometimes a problem. With experience, you will begin to find those places that work best for you, places where you will be away from the crowds.... I've developed a list of favorites all over the western states in different seasons. There are many rude people out there, but don't get discouraged by summertime 'bad apples', RVing is a great getaway.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadbluesman
Memorial Day to Labor Day, too many campers are sometimes a problem. With experience, you will begin to find those places that work best for you, places where you will be away from the crowds.... I've developed a list of favorites all over the western states in different seasons. There are many rude people out there, but don't get discouraged by summertime 'bad apples', RVing is a great getaway.
I agree totally....we have had great success in State parks in several states and the bad apples are really rare. We have found MOST RVrs are very respectful of quiet times. I have had only one bad experience in 5 years of Rvng now........VOYAGER RV Park in Tucson, Arizona........where they cram people in like who woulda thought it.

Have had really good luck in New Mexico, Arizona, Texas and Oklahoma.
Largeandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:14 AM   #9

Generally, if you want to camp without people, you will also have to do without electricity. We have spent many nights, all alone in national forest camp grounds in diverse locations including Florida, Michigan, West Virginia, Wyoming, and Montana.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
It's hard to believe that cranking up the stereo in the middle of the night, drunk and fighting and setting up a projector for movies happened in a state and especially, a national park! In 16+ years of full-timing in public parks we have never had those experiences nor would the state or national parks allow it. We have volunteered often in those kinds of parks and we know that they would not have been allowed....
I agree. Perhaps the OP exaggerated a bit to make a point?
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #11

Thank you for the many suggestions. I have held off on comments because I didn't want to close the thread prematurely. Local (state) camps restrict camping to campgrounds only. There are no federal campgrounds or BLM in my state AFAIK from google searches. I will have to travel further west.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
It's hard to believe that cranking up the stereo in the middle of the night, drunk and fighting and setting up a projector for movies happened in a state and especially, a national park! In 16+ years of full-timing in public parks we have never had those experiences nor would the state or national parks allow it. We have volunteered often in those kinds of parks and we know that they would not have been allowed. We have had loud, inconsiderate folks in private parks. Can you tell us where this happened?
Also, wait until you are in a boondocking situation with a neighbor that doesn't like your generator!

The drunk couple fighting and the stereo/outdoor movies both happened at different campgrounds (Pikes Peak, Iowa and Clear Lake, Iowa.) I believe that these are unusual incidents, but whether or not I exaggerated, (I don't feel that I did) I still am looking for dispersed camping options.

BTW the generator noise concerns me. I bought a Honda because it is quiet and want to be out of earshot of other campers. I am hoping to figure out how to get solar.
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:01 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Go west young man....lots of space out here.

We're currently at a state park on the OR coast and even now (high season) we often have the beach to ourselves on our morning walk. Lots of BLM out west too (AZ, CA, UT) plus plenty of states with lots of space (NM, NV)...
Old 08-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
This story brings a recent camping experience to mind. I like the less populated camping areas myself. I had done a little research on a small state park about 45 miles from home and decided to try it out. They only have 28 campsites total ... so we pack up and head out thinking it cant be that bad even though it was the last weekend before school started. Holy Toledo that was the quietest park I've ever been to. On Saturday we only saw 2 other campers (we were in the back of the campground) and the park rangers and city police patrolling ever few hours. I felt like I had my own personal campground! Loved it! Hope its in OK shape after hurricane Issac blew thru....
Swansonia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving