Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
RVing in the State of Wasington Summer of 2018

My husband and i are looking at spending part of our summer (June - August, 2018) in the state of Washington. We want to be outside of Seattle about 2-3 hours. Any suggestions?

It really wouldn't be camping. We would be living out of our 43' RV
JMCherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2017, 11:42 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Lots of great spots in the NW! Do you need services (PWS)? Look at John Wayne RV and Marina for one.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:44 PM   #3

We enjoyed the Native American campground near Anacortes
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:23 AM   #4

My 2 favorite places to camp so far are Silver Springs which is located near Crystal Mountain resort (on main hwy between Enumclaw and Cayuse Pass) and Big Creek which is near Ashford WA (about 5-10 minutes from main entrance to Mt Rainier Nat'l Park).

SS is right on the White River and BC is also situated on a smaller creek. Both have lots of trees and good privacy but unfortunately I don't think either have hookups to anything.

For hookups, the summer is a great time to visit Cape Disappointment in Ilwaco, WA which is right on the coast near Astoria OR (where Goonies was filmed). Not as private but also not an RV park type. But you get the ocean with black sand and a cool lighthouse you can walk up to. Ocean Shores is also a popular place with hookups and that's pretty much the same.
Leechiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:37 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
2 to 3 hours from Seattle will get you to:
Canada
Oregon
Eastern Washington
Pacific Ocean.

Personally I would look toward the Port Townsend, Port Angeles, Sequim area. Ferry boat ride to the Seattle area, next to Olympic national park.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:43 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sequim is nice, daughter, SIL and their brood live there.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:55 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Sequim is nice, daughter, SIL and their brood live there.
John Wayne is near Sequim. Open and close, but on the ocean. We stayed there and enjoyed the hike and also made about 3 gallons of wild blackberry jam! We call it "Sequim Jam"!
Did some nice rides around there also. Lots of interesting little places.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 06-19-2017, 10:02 AM   #8

Have lived in the NW for 25 years and the traffic in and around the Seattle Tacoma area still stinks. Personally, I would look toward the Skagit Valley (north of Seattle) or if you are concerned about weather, as often summer doesn't arrive until mid July, I'd head east across the Cascades on either Hwy 2 or I-90. Lots of places to stay especially if you are wanting to chase the sun.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:12 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbonsell View Post
Have lived in the NW for 25 years and the traffic in and around the Seattle Tacoma area still stinks. Personally, I would look toward the Skagit Valley (north of Seattle) or if you are concerned about weather, as often summer doesn't arrive until mid July, I'd head east across the Cascades on either Hwy 2 or I-90. Lots of places to stay especially if you are wanting to chase the sun.
Are you just trying to keep all that great area to yourselves? We like the San Juan Islands too!
Old 06-19-2017, 10:45 AM   #10

As mentioned the Port Townsend area is nice. Sleepy little tourist town with great views of Puget Sound depending on where you stay. A small RV park right in town so you could walk everywhere. I do not think they haves sewer, but have never stayed there so do not know for sure, The views cannot be bettered.

You could then take the ferry into Seattle without your car and be very happy. Lots to do in and around Seattle within walking distance from the ferry. Port Townsend has a ferry terminal you could walk to. If you take your car into Seattle, be VERY careful. They have added bike lanes everywhere and there a some Rube Goldberg designed traffic signals catering to bikes that will probably amaze you.

You could then move to the coast for another extended stay - lots of good choices. Then the mountains as mentioned above, Mount Rainer is well worth 2 or three days. Drive around the whole mountain, it looks completely different from the south side. The north side looks very "post cardy" but the south side is tortured and imposing. Mount St Helens is worth a visit certainly. In eastern Washington don't forget the dams, lots of them have tours, or visitor centers. Late summer will see lower water levels, but will still be impressive if you like those sorts of attractions.

Lake Chelan is beautiful (can be hot like all of eastern Washington) but lots of good wineries all aver. North Cascades highway is a do not miss for sure. There are three major passes though the Cascades. North cascades - the prettiest, then highway 2, then last on the list is interstate 90. Still impressive if you do not live or play around mountains much.

Columbia Gorge is well worth a week or so, both the Oregon and Washington side. Lots of bridges to explore both sides. Nice little COE park in Plymouth Washington kind of centrally located is you want just one base to see the whole gorge. Right next to I-84 It is popular though so make reservations. Full hookups near the river - no views however.
X-OEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:36 AM   #11

If you are a veteran, the VFW on Whidbley island has a great RV park. I plan on being there in a month or so. Also a lot of Corps of Engineers parks along the rivers close to the dams. They are full on weekends, but are reserveable. We are in one now near Pasco.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:25 PM   #12

I took early retirement from Boeing in 1998 and we moved to Anacortes the following year. Don't plan to go anywhere else unless I'm wearing a wooden overcoat!

This north-western part of WA is great - small towns, fairly light traffic most places. Spring and summer weather is usually mild (mid 70's summer daytime highs) and about 35% less rain than Seattle.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:32 PM   #13

the escapees have a nice park in chimacum. very close to port townsend,olympic natiomal park ect
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:06 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Thank you all for your replies. Just got back to TX after a rainy week in Black Diamond, east of Seattle. I will take all of these recommendation into account for next year. Probably go in July - September, as June is still pretty rainy.
JMCherry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving