Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2015, 06:56 AM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Site 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Whoops, spot 230, not 130.
jondrew, it's site 236. We're 44 ft. And tow a Ford Edge. What do you think? Is it ?
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2015, 05:44 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW0614 View Post
I've heard there is a pretty cool ghost tour. Want to check that out!
There are no ghosts in St. Augustine. There's <lots> of history though. An interesting case is the Fountain of Youth, a tourist trap intended to fleece the rubes of their dough but also the site of serious archeological work, the results of which, dating back to pre Spanish and early Spanish times, can be seen by the customers.

Beware tour guides who lie about the Spanish and play up to the prejudice many English speaking people hold against them as being unusually cruel, bloodthirsty and barbaric--what the Spanish call the Black Legend. There were no torture chambers at the fort, no firing squads, no walled up lovers and other such nonsense. Some of the commercial guides are good and have a love of the town's history but others pander to the expectations of the gullible.

An excellent concise explanation of the Castillo and it's history is at this link.

Fortified Places > Fortresses > Castillo de San Marcos, St Augustine
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:16 AM   #45

I don't much believe in ghosts anyway. That what ghost stories are, stories, but they are still fun. Love the ghost tours in New Orleans. Doesn't make me believe in them. Legends get their appeal through telling from person to person. I love the twisted tales of history.
ChrisW0614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:43 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
jondrew, it's site 236. We're 44 ft. And tow a Ford Edge. What do you think? Is it ?
236 is right around the corner from where we were. If I remember correctly there was a Fleetwood Discovery parked in your spot when I was there. I believe the pads are 50' long so you should fit. There should be space next to your rig for the car. There is a nice deck on your site too. If there is one negative to that particular site its that the fate to the beach is right next to you so you'll hear it opening and closing all the time.

Also, you might consider disconnecting your car before you get to the resort. They do have a maintenance area you can hook up/ disconnect at, but for me with my tow dolly is rather do that stuff off site as things are a bit cramped and maybe busy during check in/out time. When you're leaving there are a couple of drive thru sites like 250 and 249 that, if empty , are convenient to hook up at.

If you want to unhook/rebook off site there is a Winn Dixie about 2 miles north of the resort that we used.

Let me know what you think of the place
Old 06-03-2015, 05:44 AM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
Jondrew, many thank you's. I will take your advice and unhook prior to arrival. Hate being rushed after a day on the road. Don't think the gate issue will bother us were only their for a couple of days, might agitate my border collie. She's pretty old and grumpy, hmmm maybe the gate will bother me? Anyway, we're headed that way today from Savannah so we'll post to the forum with our review, FWIW.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:08 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW0614 View Post
My family and I will be arriving at Bryn Mawr this weekend. We will be staying in site 154 in a motorhome, my sister and her family will be in one of the rentals in 165. Looking forward to some beach time and some big ole margaritas! This will be our first time in St. Augustine. I've heard there is a pretty cool ghost tour. Want to check that out!
The ghost tour is interesting. I will recommend the Segway tour that leaves out of the Fountain of Youth park. You get a good narrated tour of many interesting parts of the city.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:49 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
The ghost tour is interesting. I will recommend the Segway tour that leaves out of the Fountain of Youth park. You get a good narrated tour of many interesting parts of the city.
I would like to take the Segway tour but I have a 5 and 7 year old boys with us and don't think they could ride.
ChrisW0614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:07 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well, we are just wrapping up our two day first time ever stay at Bryn Mawr in St. Augustine. A quick summary for those interested. Older park with lots of park models, not a plus IMO. Tight entrance and exit even for TT's over 25'. If 39' or over whether Class A, 5'r or super C you need to stay oceanfront and not on the interior sites. Just very tight. Pluses, oceanfront property, three great walk overs to a very nice beach that is pet friendly. Most sites have a covered pavilion with power. Large front area pool but a real hike to get their with no close parking for your tow. Center pool, hot tub, and AC very clean bath house. Looks very new. This area of the pool and hot tub are adults only over 18. Kinda nice for us. Staff was very friendly. Garbage pick up at 10:30 AM. About fifteen, twenty minutes from the heart of the old city. If your thing is a beach setting and a visit to St. Augustine which we love this is a good park. It is tight and again if over thirty five feet be very careful, unhook if towing before entering. I didn't and blocked the entrance and rushed to register and get thru the locking gate. Hate that after a long day. PS. We ate dinner at Saltwater Cowboys that's been hear for thirty plus years the fried shrimp was to die for! Yuuuuum.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:25 AM   #51

Clayobx - I'd say you pretty much nailed it with your description. This place won't appeal to everyone, but overall I think it's pretty good. One of the most expensive places I've been too, so you'd hope you get one of the better sites. We're about two hours from Augustine and when we go we like to go to the beach. The premium you're paying here gets you walking distance to the water. We also like the touristy stuff and Bryn Mahr is close to all of it.

I told you to unhook before you get there they do have a maintenance area right past the gate you can unhook. But next time we're going to do it at the Winn Dixie.