Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2018, 09:32 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Salt Lake City to Disneyland this Weekend

Headed to Disneyland this weekend. We take our kids there twice a year ... once in the spring and once in the fall (kids are 2 & 4). It is only an 11 to 12 hour drive ... but with young kids it takes two days each way. We always stay overnight at the Oasis Las Vegas RV Resort ... very nice place. For those “purists” our there ... know that our RV does see plenty of boondocking in the woods each year. But this is where the investment in an RV really pays off. No flight costs for a family of 4 (~$1,000 or more), no $300 to $600 per night for hotel rooms, no need to transfer all of our items in and out of a hotel, and the most important part to me ... we get to cook and eat our own food. Will follow up this post when we get back regarding road conditions including the dreaded road construction.
UtahEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2018, 09:38 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahEngineer View Post
Headed to Disneyland this weekend. We take our kids there twice a year ... once in the spring and once in the fall (kids are 2 & 4). It is only an 11 to 12 hour drive ... but with young kids it takes two days each way. We always stay overnight at the Oasis Las Vegas RV Resort ... very nice place. For those “purists” our there ... know that our RV does see plenty of boondocking in the woods each year. But this is where the investment in an RV really pays off. No flight costs for a family of 4 (~$1,000 or more), no $300 to $600 per night for hotel rooms, no need to transfer all of our items in and out of a hotel, and the most important part to me ... we get to cook and eat our own food. Will follow up this post when we get back regarding road conditions including the dreaded road construction.
Where do you stay in Anaheim? Anaheim RV Park is close in, but very tight spaces. You may want to stay east in the hills sometime. Pala is nice as are several other places away fro Mouseland.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:31 PM   #3

I am in Yuma but heading out next week to Las Vegas and then north on I-15 past SLC up to Bosie Idaho. Was thinking of staying a night at Oasis in LV to check it out. Will be watching this thread for road conditions. I may take US93 north to Twin Falls ID instead of I-15 depending on weather conditions. May take I-15 to Zion also, depending on weather.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:45 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We stayed at Anaheim RV Park last spring and liked it. You get a double space, one for your RV and the other for your tow vehicle.

We had paid for a week but had to leave a day early so they gave us a card to present to them next time for a free night.

Nice park and wonderful employees.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:09 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club

We stay at Anaheim RV Park. Employees are very polite and the facilities are clean. The pull-thru spots are a little more money but worth it. Concrete pads are 20+ feet wide and long enough for truck still attached to trailer ... plus they have picnic tables. The extra room on the concrete pad is nice ... especially when we had guests visit us with a second car. We have to stay close to Disneyland since we have 2 and 4 year-old kids that sometimes need to return temporarily to the RV during the day then back to Disneyland. Will update road conditions as we travel there on Saturday and Sunday.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:20 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Oh ... my only complaint about this trip is the 55 mph speed limit in California for towing vehicles. Have no problem with going 55 mph in the twisty mountain / valley sections ... or once we are in LA traffic ... but on the long straight stretches thru the Mojave desert is a little ridiculous in my opinion ... should be 65 mph for tow vehicles like most other common sense western states.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:29 AM   #7

I don’t know if they really enforce the 55 limit. Been in Cali for 4 months now and rarely do I stay at 55. More like 62. 40’ towing a jeep.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:49 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club

I also seem to hover around 60 mph. Definitely agree on the non-enforcement most times. Had many tractor trailers (semis) pass me going 70+ mph and a few times encountered highway patrols coming the other direction who did nothing (busy headed elsewhere, radar not on, who knows?). But on our last trip I did see one of those rigs that passed us pulled over (surely getting a speeding ticket). I guess one is taking the chance of being pulled over going much over 60 mph ... especially over 70 mph. I drive for a living (chemical sales) so keeping a clean driving record is a requirement of continued employment. Unfortunately the reason I had to sell my Honda CBR 1000RR (crotch rocket) ... dang thing was way to much fun at high speed.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:03 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We find the CHP is very intermittent on speeding violations. Depends on your speed, any trailer sway, etc. I think that if you are over 70 mph, your odds increase that they will get you. The helicopters can detect speed patterns and communicate that to the ground units.

We travel the desert a lot. See trailers and boats going over 80! Yikes!!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:02 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Hey, what time you leaving? We're leaving Layton at 1530 Friday for Sand Hollow outside of Hurricane. Quick weekender for us. Hope we see good weather.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:11 PM   #11

Love Sand Hollow, both the state park for RVs as well as the golf course. Nothing prettier than those St. George mountains.

For those traveling through Vegas these days, there's a ton of construction on I-15 near the downtown area and points south. Allow extra time.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:26 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
We are headed out around 8 am on Saturday morning. Looks like you will be long gone by then. Just put my RZR away ... wish I was doing that instead ... but kiddos first. In my opinion going over 80 mph with any trailer is plain stupid. If that trailer weighs much and anything bad happens ... that trailer is taking you and your family for a bad and possibly fatal short ride.