Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2021, 06:29 AM   #1

San Antonio to Grand Canyon Az

Hello
Ian trying to get my mothers wish come thru and take her to see the Grand Canyon. First time heading out of state with rv any routes or spots are appreciated
Manolographe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2021, 06:33 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Do you plan on the I10 or I40 route.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:52 AM   #3

first thing i would do is get your reservations for the grand canyon. you vasically have two choices. stay in the park at trailer village, or stay in williams az at one of the several rv parks there. if you stay at williams you can take the train into the park or drive it (about 60 miles).

once you have the grand canyon reservations then figure out your route (i-10 or i-40). or take one route coming and the other returning. there are rv parks along both routes.

we don't know what you like. some typical tourist stops might be
tombstone
meteor crater
petrified forest
painted desert
several indian ruins

hope you enjoy the trip.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 05:56 AM   #4

Thank you both very much. I was planning on going I 40 out of the Texas panhandle into Clovis New Mexico what do you all think about going that way? How much money would you budget for this trip? I am worried about my fuel consumption as I know prices seem to get higher the closer you get to the west? How long do you think it will take realistically to get there one way? I’m pulling a jayco jay flight slx8 @ 6000 lbs with a 5,7l tundra. It’s only my wife and I driving. The plan is-leaving on the 6th of March and having to be back at work on the 12th what you think is this doable? Any other suggestions as in how to approach this? Also I just found out I need to solve the issue of weight distribution any suggestions on equipment of technique? Thanks in advance
Old 02-28-2021, 06:26 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We've driven the routes you plan several times. What you plan is going to be some really long days.
Personally I would do I10 and I17 to Flagstaff and then I40 to Williams.
We have also done the I40 from OKC to Williams.
Both routes are doable, but I believe the I10 route is shorter.
Six days is cutting sit pretty thin.
2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 06:50 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We are doing i10 to San Antonio right now in fact we are at a rest area just east of El Paso. We left north Phoenix at 830 am stoped at 6:30 running between 65 and 75. One stop for fuel two for rest areas. We have another 8+ hrs driving time to San Antonio and may not make it. To Williams your trip via I10 will be about 3 3.5 hours longer and you will have a clime between Phoenix and flagstaff. Not sure on I40 have not done that route.

Really 6th to 12th is 7 days your looking at 2 long driving days including driving at night or 3 casual driving days each way. I assume your not driving 24/7.

I10 is shorter but I40 is a better road IMHO. Probably less traffic on I10. On I10 you will drive though at least 3 major city’s that can have traffic delays depending on when you get there El Paso, Tucson, and Phoenix. I think I40 have may more did not look at the map.

There a lot to see on the drive both ways I think 7 days is cutting it close but not impossible.

I am sure others on irv have made the trip more often and hope the chime in for I am no expert on this route but can only give you my experience.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolographe View Post
Hello
Ian trying to get my mothers wish come thru and take her to see the Grand Canyon. First time heading out of state with rv any routes or spots are appreciated
If you decide on using I-10:

On I-10 route from San Antonio to El Paso is 600 miles, fuel stops are far in between, so watch your fuel closely. San Antonio to Ft. Stockton is a little over 300 miles, fuel stop at Junction. Ft. Stockton to El Paso is around 300 miles, fuel stop in Van Horn, and a fuel stop on the east side of El Paso.

We have run this route , 3 times in the last 18 months.
First trip across we left Medina Lakes and pulled into Ft. Stockton Love's station with 36 miles left on our tank. We have a 2017 Ram 3500 with a 36 gal tank. When we arrived in Casa Grande I had the 36 gal tank removed and a 55 gal installed.
Allot of driving time for your schedule, take care and watch your fuel.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ (Rainbow Bridge 9-12-2019) & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:40 AM   #8

IMO, not doable. 6, not 7 days (leave 3/6 then back at work 3/12) and over 2,000 miles round trip by shortest route.

That does not count any site seeing, weather delays (likely in the Flagstaff area in early March), mechanical issues, rest, etc.

Lots of other great places to see closer to San Antonio what would leave you more time to "smell the roses".
Old 03-01-2021, 07:44 AM   #9

Thanks you all

My dear friends thanks to all who replied. After talking it over with my boss we decided that the quality of the trip wasn’t going to be what we are looking for from our time off. With all that driving there won’t be time for enjoying the trip. We decided to stay close to San Antonio since the beaches will be packed with young women in skimpy clothes (my bosses words) we decided to head to Jasper Tx to Sam Ryan lake.
I rather enjoy the time off than be stressed and come back stressed. Glad to be part of this great resource. If you all ever in San Antonio please say hi
Old 03-01-2021, 07:50 AM   #10

Thanks guys. We are familiar with the backed up traffic that occurs on I10 specially in Tucson. We’re do y’all usually camp when in San Antonio?
Old 03-01-2021, 08:06 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Top of the Hill RV Resort - Boerne, TX

A nice place.
2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 05:57 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I am saying HI we are a thousand trails lake Madena now!!!!!
Old 03-01-2021, 07:42 PM   #13

KOA

Do you all ever go to koa?
Old 03-02-2021, 05:17 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
This is a working trip and I have a membership to thousand trails so my camping cost is 0. Luckily my company stills pays as if I am in a hotel win/win and pays mileage.