Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2013, 12:48 AM   #1

San Diego

Heading in that direction late January or early February. Any suggestions for campgrounds with decent size spaces?

Any travel advice? Never been down that far on California coast before.
begete is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #2

I am interested too, we live in Southern Nevada and will be traveling to the San Diego area every now and again.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:22 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There's Chula Vista RV Resort. It's close to San Diego. Sorry I don't know their ph #.
I haven't stayed there, but it is a nice park. A little on the pricey side though.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #4

Mission Bay RV Resort RV Park Campground San Diego, California

Very nice, close in, and winter is off season, rates are reasonable.
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
[QUOTE=Bubwheat;1416387]Mission Bay RV Resort RV Park Campground San Diego, California

Very nice, close in, and winter is off season, rates are reasonable.[/QUOTEAnd

Discounted for Passport America, I have looked at a few RV parks online seems to me this is one of the nicer ones, I think this is where we are going to stay in March or April.
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:17 AM   #6

Chula Vista is our favorit is San Diego, although the site are a bit on the small side. The park is extremly manacured and well taken cared of, with all the ammenities of a upper scale RV park. This is not a 55+ park, but it has that feel as very few children are seen. Most of the RVs appear to be retired folks. If you have children or grand children, they will more than likely have to entertain themselves.
We stayed at Mission Bay one night only because Chula Vista was full. If large sites is what your looking for this may be the park for you. No pool, no hot tub, restroom, showers & laundry are all the ammenities I recall. Lot of kids riding bike & scooters, plenty of younger folks walking around, The place was alive. We enjoyed our short stay and would be our second choice. Fair warning, no grass and few trees, all black top. We had to start taking our shoes off before entering the MH as the carpet was strating to resemble the black top.
Theres also a place called Camp Land. Never stayed there, but have heard its nice for younger famlies with children and that the partying contines till the early morning hours. That kept us away.
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #7

Most of the private parks are on the pricey side for us. We like camping on the beach so we always go to Silver Strand State Beach, its about 3-4 miles below Coronado. It's just a asphalt parking lot type camping with no Hookups but you are right on the beach, same level. We have camped there many times. San Diego is a 15 minute drive around the bay north or south.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
You might want to take a look at Santee Lakes in Santee,Ca. San Diego area. The sites along the lake are our favorite.
Not a Clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #9

Campland on the Bay is wonderful...

Campland on the Bay, San Diego Camping, San Diego's Best Campground, RV, Tents
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #10

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

We have checked out all of the RV parks in the area and the best we have found for site size, full hookups, well kept, lots of grass and trees is the San Diego/Chula Vista KOA. Paved bike trail close that goes to the Marina, short drive to San Diego and Coronado. We have stayed for a month the past 3 years.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Our fav parks in the area are Santee Lakes and Mission Bay RV Resort.

Santee Is ~15 miles out of town but has lovely, large sites with lots of green and space plus lakes, bike path etc. Great natural spot.

Mission Bay is basically a big asphalt parking lot, but in a GREAT location. Right next to bike trails in Mission Bay, beach and town.

We love both spots. We go to Santee for green and space, and Mission for beach and town.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Last year we found the Sweetwater(?, don't have my TL directory handy but I think that is it) County Park, E,W,S, very spacious and long sites, sits up on a knoll with decent views toward the west. Seems to me the price was about $30. We've stayed at the KOA before, but it is bound on two sides by freeways and unless you can get a site away from the freeway sides, it gets fairly noisy and San Diego'ns are always on the go, 24 hrs. It is a beautiful park and well maintained.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #13

I've stayed at all of the places mentioned above many times, and everyone is pretty much right about the parks. Don't confuse the two RV parks in Chula Vista, one is called Chula Vista RV Resort (Chula Vista Marina) and the other one that is near by is called San Diego Metro KOA, which is actualy in Chula Vista. Both are nice, both are somewhat pricy. The KOA is a park type setting, the Marina park is on the bay, within walking distance to restaraunts, etc. Both have great facilities. Santee Lakes, to the east, is very nice also. The Mission Bay RV Park is a big paved parking lot in a great area, no pool, spa, or anything. Silver Strand State Beach is an beach front parking lot. They might be closed (or will be closed), as they are going to tear up the place to build larger spaces and install electric and a dump station in 2013.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
We have stayed at Sweetwater several times. It has been upgraded in the last couple of years. Check out the San Diego County Parks, Sweetwater & Santee Lakes are both good places. We have stayed at the Chula Vista Marina & RV Park and it is nice but we prefer Sweetwater. We lived in San Diego KOA (Chula Vista) a couple of years (many years ago) and it is a typical KOA - to me, not as nice as Chula Vista Marina RV and about the same price.

Barry, That's a great looking RV you have.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote