Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2016, 04:10 PM   #1

San Jose, CA

Any suggestions for the San Jose, CA area? The closer the better, as I may be working in the area and don't want a monster commute.

Thanks!
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2016, 04:19 PM   #2

*any* commute in the south bay area is bad. Don't have any ideas on locations for you to stay, but that area is always rough commuting. I lived in east bay area and glad to be out of there. Anything close to San Jose is likely going to be fairly high cost, make sure they pay you well!
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:55 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Avoiding a commute will be difficult. I would suggest you look at Morgan Hill or Gilroy for options.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:25 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
monkeyclaw,
check allstays.com.
are you an elks club member?
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:05 AM   #5

Luckily work pays expenses, but I want to take the RV with wife, kid and pets. It's only for 4 days at a time. I see the fairgrounds aren't too far, and there are a few other possibilities. Looks like I'm doing AirBnB next week and will check places out when I get there.

Elks would be great since it's practically across the street from where I'll be working, but I'm not a member.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:12 AM   #6

Check out Coyote Creek RV Resort in Morgan Hill. Clean, nice, not far from SJ
PICDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:52 AM   #7

I checked out Elks recently in a different location and it had non-member rates and member rates. Regarding Coyote Creek, it is nice but when we checked it out they were one of those that won't reserve a specific spot for you. You get what you get when you show up. We are picky and for us that is a big negative.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:01 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
x2 for Coyote Creek in Morgan Hill. Make a reservation and don't get stuck in a site next to one of their 'utility' compounds. They are noisey.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:49 AM   #9

Coyote Creek is on our short list. It looks like there is a bike path that goes right into San Jose and near where I'm going to be working. 25 miles each way would be perfect for me to get my exercise in at the same time as I'm going to work and would probably take as long as a car in traffic.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:58 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Johnitis Send a message via MSN to Johnitis Send a message via Yahoo to Johnitis
Only do the fairgrounds as a last option. We did it overnight waiting for a horrible shop to finish repairs. Repeat: only do the fairgrounds as a last option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
Luckily work pays expenses, but I want to take the RV with wife, kid and pets. It's only for 4 days at a time. I see the fairgrounds aren't too far, and there are a few other possibilities. Looks like I'm doing AirBnB next week and will check places out when I get there.

Elks would be great since it's practically across the street from where I'll be working, but I'm not a member.
Johnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:30 AM   #11

I live in San Jose and have been in the Bay Area most of my life ...

Yeah, avoid the fairgrounds, NOT a good area of town. At all. Coyote Creek is the way to go.

Talk to the ranger at Sanborn county park, your rig is big but I think the campground host has a big DP. Sanborn county park (2 week stay max I think) would be just a short term diversion, but BEAUTIFUL area in the redwoods. The last 2 miles or so of road from Hwy 9 to the park is not big rig friendly. check it out when you're in Morgan hill .. Also see if you can get a spot at the beaches in Santa cruz mid-week, your commute will be TERRIBLE but family will be sitting on the beach.

Oh, I used to race bicycles too, so feel free to PM me for cycling advice. yes, I've ridden by the Calero and south county campground options plenty of times! Afternoon winds can be strong, but usually in your favor heading south to Calero! Joseph Grant county park is another great cycling location ... 1k feet of climbing on the way home from work?
Old 05-03-2016, 03:53 PM   #12

5x Coyote Creek in Morgan Hill, Ca. Kathy & I stay there whenever we visit our grandchildren.

Peter & Kathy Collins
Woodland WA
2014 Anthem 42DEQ
pallencollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:49 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Johnitis Send a message via MSN to Johnitis Send a message via Yahoo to Johnitis
That's correct. I met a woman with a big rig last year who was a host at Sanborn. And speaking of diversions, there are also campgrounds on the ocean in Pacifica and Half Moon Bay. I've known a couple of people who happily did it just to return home to the beach everyday. The "resort" in Pacifica seems to be the more preferable.

[QUOTE=Camp_Woof;3051612]I think the campground host has a big DP. Sanborn county park (2 week stay max I think) would be just a short term diversion, but BEAUTIFUL area in the redwoods... Also see if you can get a spot at the beaches in Santa cruz mid-week, your commute will be TERRIBLE but family will be sitting on the beach.
Johnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:22 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
monkeyclaw,
suggest that you go to your local elks club in Ariz. and tell them you want to join...
pm me if you need a member to sponsor you.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote