Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2018, 06:09 PM   #1

Santa Cruz, CA - Recommendations needed

I am looking at spending a week near Santa Cruz next summer. I want to be able to drive up to Point Reyes and down to Monterey. We have stayed at Santa Cruz/Monterey KOA before. It's fine, but as are all KOA's - expensive. I see Santa Cruz North/Costanoa KOA - again, expensive. I think Santa Cruz Harbor RV park but it looks quite small and I'm not sure we would want to stay there. I have a couple of teenagers so I don't need a KOA, just looking for something decent with full hookups for a week around 4th of July next year.

Anyone have any recommendations? I have a 35ft travel trailer. I can boondock, but for a long stay at one place I would rather not. I do have a barker blue tote so I could also do a dump station on site instead of full hookups, but again, I would prefer not to. I would also like to stay somewhere near the beach/ocean, but I would not be completely opposed to something in the nearby mountains.

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2018, 06:40 PM   #2

Since it is a year from now, you might have a chance. The day that a site is available to book we are on the computer, 2 phones and iPad. And there are only two of us. We try to go to Seacliff once a year. Literally on the beach with full hookups. For us it is a little slice of heaven. New Brighton is also a good CG and recommend under the trees closer to the cliff/beach. No hookups at NB, but Seacliff have them.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:51 PM   #3

Santa Cruz, CA - Recommendations needed

Santa Cruz Redwood rv resort in Felton. Beautiful park, short drive to Santa Cruz. We checked in for a week and immediately extended for 14 days.

Moss Landing KOA is a great little park also.

With teenagers, Felton is probably the better choice as there is not much for teens in Moss Landing. Felton has an old steam train that will take you to the Santa Cruz boardwalk. It is on the beach and is a big amusement park. They can get into all kinds of trouble there. ;-)

Moss landing has a whale watching trip that can be really cool. Last time there we saw about 10 humpbacks about two miles from the harbor. It was pretty awesome. Also,, don’t fall for the “Fresh Fish” sign at the harbor. The woman who lives on the boat buys the the fish online and then puts it in a cooler as if the boat just got back from fishing.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:04 PM   #4

I haven't been back in over a decade but used to live in Boulder Creek which is up Highway 9 out of Santa Cruz. I wasn't into RVs back then but RV Parky would show any campgrounds.

Will take a look now that I'm intrested too
Old 07-20-2018, 07:09 PM   #5

Looks like there are 3 on the south side of Felton which would only be 10 min or so out of Santa Cruz.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:11 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
Santa Cruz Redwood rv resort in Felton. Beautiful park, short drive to Santa Cruz. We checked in for a week and immediately extended for 14 days.

With teenagers, Felton is probably the better choice as there is not much for teens in Moss Landing. Felton has an old steam train that will take you to the Santa Cruz boardwalk. It is on the beach and is a big amusement park. They can get into all kinds of trouble there. ;-)

Moss landing has a whale watching trip that can be really cool. Last time there we saw about 10 humpbacks about two miles from the harbor. It was pretty awesome. Also,, don’t fall for the “Fresh Fish” sign at the harbor. The woman who lives on the boat buys the the fish online and then puts it in a cooler as if the boat just got back from fishing.
I spent several days at Santa Cruz Redwood Park, loved it.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:31 PM   #7

We have stayed in Felton at Smithwoods and Cotillion Gardens. Haven't tried Redwood Park, yet (I believe they don't have a pool). All three will work. Probably your best bet for the Santa Cruz area.
parks0412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal27 View Post
Since it is a year from now, you might have a chance. The day that a site is available to book we are on the computer, 2 phones and iPad. And there are only two of us. We try to go to Seacliff once a year. Literally on the beach with full hookups. For us it is a little slice of heaven. New Brighton is also a good CG and recommend under the trees closer to the cliff/beach. No hookups at NB, but Seacliff have them.

I have played the campground lottery as well. I am so sick of it. We travel to California a lot for our vacations so I have to have a reservation before going - don't want to take the chance it game. Anyway, the last couple of years I have been trying to get into places and they are all booked within 2 minutes of the opening. I think I am done playing that game. I will keep Seacliff in mind and give it a shot.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by parks0412 View Post
We have stayed in Felton at Smithwoods and Cotillion Gardens. Haven't tried Redwood Park, yet (I believe they don't have a pool). All three will work. Probably your best bet for the Santa Cruz area.

Correct. No pool there.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:26 AM   #10

Quote:

Those might work - is it pretty tight between each campsite in both of those? It looks like it.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by parks0412 View Post

If you had a choice, which one would you prefer and why between Smithwoods and Cotillion Gardens? Those both look pretty nice.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyadamn View Post
Those might work - is it pretty tight between each campsite in both of those? It looks like it.

Not too bad. Different experiences. KOA is nice and all open and sunny when not fogged in. Redwoods is more of a national park forest feel, some spacing is more than others but I didn’t feel cramped in either place. One thing is that with the Felton parks, you feel miles away from the city, yet grocery and all kinds of shopping and restaurants are 5 to 10 minutes away. Mass Landing and Felton are so close to each other that you could stay a few days a both.

J
Old 07-21-2018, 08:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Not too bad. Different experiences. KOA is nice and all open and sunny when not fogged in. Redwoods is more of a national park forest feel, some spacing is more than others but I didn’t feel cramped in either place. One thing is that with the Felton parks, you feel miles away from the city, yet grocery and all kinds of shopping and restaurants are 5 to 10 minutes away. Mass Landing and Felton are so close to each other that you could stay a few days a both.

J

Thanks. I think I might choose between Smithwoods and Cotillion. It's hard not to pick a place near the beach like North KOA, but I might get stuck with high winds and/or fog everyday. You can never tell. Both of those parks are in a pretty good location - a little over 2 hours to Point Reyes, 1.5 hours to San Francisco Pier, and an hour to Monterrey or 20min to the Santa Cruz beach. We all like the redwoods so no issue there.

Any idea how booked up either of those places get during the summer? I want to make reservations soon so it may not matter, but it would be nice to know how full they will get.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyadamn View Post
Thanks. I think I might choose between Smithwoods and Cotillion. It's hard not to pick a place near the beach like North KOA, but I might get stuck with high winds and/or fog everyday. You can never tell. Both of those parks are in a pretty good location - a little over 2 hours to Point Reyes, 1.5 hours to San Francisco Pier, and an hour to Monterrey or 20min to the Santa Cruz beach. We all like the redwoods so no issue there.

Any idea how booked up either of those places get during the summer? I want to make reservations soon so it may not matter, but it would be nice to know how full they will get.

I don’t know how full in the Summer. We were there in June and the weekdays were very quiet, weekends were full.