Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2019, 01:42 PM   #1

Carolina Campers
Grand Design Owners Club
Question Savannah-bound

Has anyone ever stayed at Red Gate RV Park in Savannah, GA? We have reservations there for 10 days in March and have family coming from all over. None of us have ever stayed there. I'm really hoping it's a nice place close to the historic district.
The rig is long (55' with truck attached).
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2019, 02:44 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Seems to get very good reviews.

Red Gate Campground & RV Resort - Savannah, GA - Campground Reviews
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:49 PM   #3

Stayed there..enjoyed it. Be aware you are on a farm/ranch with no concrete on grass/dirt. Not too far from downtown but you will need to drive. Lotsof space and you will see animals. Nice club house if you have a group.
netjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:19 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I've stayed there and it is very peaceful. It does take a little bit to get into town. Lots of beautiful trees and places to walk. Nice little pond on the property as well.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:45 PM   #5

We stayed there 2 days in June of 2016. Nice facilities, great staff. Definitely big rig friendly there was several big 5th wheel rig there along with a couple of big buses. Since we have a small class A they ask us to swap our open site along the road for a beautiful wooded site to accommodate another 5th wheel. Nice free up-grade since it was hot the 2 days we were there. It was ~$52 with GS discount. We took Uber to downtown, was about $12 one-way plus tip.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:02 PM   #6

Stayed there several times and would stay there again. Sites are limestone and level. Very nice management.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:37 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I stayed there with my 2 daughters and really enjoyed it. Nice pool and it was quiet. Great management and the sites were fine. Not much shade but then satellite TV had no probs. Next time is Savannah I would stay there again.
kmbx2ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:25 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I was speaking to my brother in Atlanta this week. We will be seeing him during the RV show in Perry. I mentioned that we would probably go to Savannah on the front side of the week.

He gave me a stern warning about Savannah and a supposed gang problem thats evolved. He can sometimes go a bit overboard so I did a little research and it seems there is one. I don't know if its any more than any other city but, thought I would mention it. They formed a gang task force and are cracking down on it.

I don't post this to alarm anyone, just rather inform. He mentioned the obvious stuff of stay off the side streets, stay in groups, and be alert. We love Savannah and hope they get this corrected quickly.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreaming View Post
Has anyone ever stayed at Red Gate RV Park in Savannah, GA? We have reservations there for 10 days in March and have family coming from all over. None of us have ever stayed there. I'm really hoping it's a nice place close to the historic district.
The rig is long (55' with truck attached).
We stayed there last year, over by the field, horse corrall. Its quiet most of the time. Its rustic but all in all I liked it.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:43 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We stayed last year. Nice place. Close to Savannah. Even has a shuttle into town.
We were in a 38’ DP with toad
Scotialaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
I was speaking to my brother in Atlanta this week. We will be seeing him during the RV show in Perry. I mentioned that we would probably go to Savannah on the front side of the week.

He gave me a stern warning about Savannah and a supposed gang problem thats evolved. He can sometimes go a bit overboard so I did a little research and it seems there is one. I don't know if its any more than any other city but, thought I would mention it. They formed a gang task force and are cracking down on it.

I don't post this to alarm anyone, just rather inform. He mentioned the obvious stuff of stay off the side streets, stay in groups, and be alert. We love Savannah and hope they get this corrected quickly.
There are two large areas of public housing in Savannah, both of which adjoin the Historic District and the West Victorian Historic District. In the mid 1980's as a customer at Gulfstream Aerospace with our company aircraft there for maintenance, I was warned to stay out of the historic district (except river street) after dark. Sometime after that things improved. I suppose every thing has its ups and downs, including crime.

Anywhere you go, always be aware of your surroundings, follow all of the usual recommendations to prevent pickpocketing and purse snatching, and keep close track of everyone in your group.

Charles