Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2006, 07:33 AM   #1

We would like to spend about 10 days in the Savannah in late March/early April. We have visited a few times but would like a short-term base of operations for an extended stay. We would appreciate any campground recommendations. We have a 36' MH with toad. Thanks.
richf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2006, 07:33 AM   #2

We would like to spend about 10 days in the Savannah in late March/early April. We have visited a few times but would like a short-term base of operations for an extended stay. We would appreciate any campground recommendations. We have a 36' MH with toad. Thanks.
richf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:11 PM   #3

We are staying in Rivers End Campground on Tybee Island starting November 21st-November 27th. So I can give you a report then. We have a 40ft MH and tow.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:52 PM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Whispering Pines in nearby Rincon,GA was a bit off the path,but a decent place to "base" your Savannah stay....We also recommend the trolley tour of historic Savannah and of course Paula Deen's restaurant and her brother's seafood place...
There are also a couple of good places to eat down on the waterfront,right on the trolley tour.
We purchased the "on and off" tickets so we could get off and sightsee and then get back on another trolley.....worth every penny.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:31 PM   #5

Hi Rich. Chuck and I live on the Southside of Savannah. If you don't mind not having a sewerage hookup, I would recommend Skidaway Island State Park. It would make your best base of operations.

River's End is now owned by the city of Tybee. The bathhouse used to be deplorable, but there are now two modular units in the campground that have five individual bathrooms each with a shower, toilet and sink. This is a big improvement from what they used to have. Sites 1-19 are very close together. You would do good to request that you not be put in that area.

There's another campgound on Highway 204. It used to be called Bellair Woods. I have read some reviews about it that were not so good. I believe it was stated that the campground itself was fairly decent, but that the owner was not. We drive by there many times on our way out of town and I have noticed that the name of the campground has changed. I can't recall what the new name is though. It makes me wonder if the owners have changed too. If so, that may also be a place worth checking into.

As far as Paula Deen's restaurant goes, do not go there hoping to see her. She has turned operation of the place over to her sons and she never goes there anymore. Actually, now that her sons have their own show on the Food Network, I'm not sure you'll find them there much either. You might, if you're lucky, find her at Uncle Bubbas, which is out on Wilmington Island on your way to the beach.

The food at The Lady and Sons used to be very good. It was one of our favorite places, but as of late, I don't think the food is as good as it used to be. Also, if you want to get in there to eat around noon, you would have to show up some time around 10:30 to get your name on a waiting list.

There is a relatively new place, located on Factors Walk between Bay Street and River Street, named Vics on the River. They are open for lunch and dinner. It's not well know, but the food is pretty good. Also, the Pirate's House is a place of interest due to it's history. I would not have recommened it in the past, but they have a new owner, who is also the executive chef, and he had been doing his best to bring it back up to par.

I hope you enjoy your visit to our fair city. She is full of history and has a lot to offer. One word of caution, if you plan to be here around March 17, don't wait too long to make your reservations. Many of the hotels around here book up almost a year in advance because of St. Patrick's Day. I don't know about the campgrounds.

Maggie - the not so porky Yorkie and Eddie - the crazy Chiweenie
SavReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:43 PM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

I was in Bellair Woods last year and it is a "decent" facility at BEST,but it is in dire need of attention....I WOULD NOT recommend it.

The State Park is very nice,but I'm just a little long for most State Parks....

While the campground in Rincon was off the beaten path and there wasn't much of anything to do there,at least it was clean...

Savreb's comments on what you'll encounter at Paula Deen's as far as the wait are right on...we waited almost two hours and they cut the line off with the group that was two ahead of ours...

SavReb, we really enjoyed the trolley tours...you didn't make a comment about them?
Old 11-08-2006, 05:47 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We stayed at Bellaire Woods, (new name - Savannah Oaks) three nites last week. Found it to be acceptable for the short time. There is some renovations to infrastructure in beginning stages around the pool. Was impressed that they have, on a number of sites, level concrete pads for the wheels of your rig. Bath house is unisex - each unit has sink, commode and shower with lock on door, of course.

Only drawback was the busy squirrels gathering acorns from the oak trees. Sure makes a racket when those acorns hit the roof.!
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 03:30 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Thanks for the Savannah Oaks update....hopefully the tide is turning on this dated facility and they're making the necessary improvements.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:18 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We are staying in Rivers End Campground on Tybee Island starting November 21st-November 27th. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
SAVANNAH: Good luck with that. I hope you like sardines. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:28 AM   #10

I have to agree with Ding-a-ling. Suggest you stay at the "Oaks" place on 204. It is easier to jump on I-95 to get to the historic downtown, or take 204 in to the malls out on the south side. I think you will find it is a little pricey for what you get (not much ammenities) but ask for one of the larger sites with a concrete pad so you will be fairly level.

Skidaway Island State Park is quite nice, but the one way in and one way out road is the ONLY way to get on and off the island. Either one of them should be beautiful in March/April, but be sure to have some bug "OFF" because the gnats can be BAAAD! I believe the SP does take reservations for some of their sites and IF you decide to go there get those request in early because they do fill up.

They park down on Tybee Island mentioned above is waaaay to crowded for my taste, and it is 18-20 miles from downtown. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:43 AM   #11

Hi rebelsbeach. (I like that name by the way.) I honestly didn't think about the trolly tours. Living here it's not something we do very often. As a matter of fact, we've only been once and that was last year when some friends of ours came camping at Skidaway Island for Thanksgiving. We wanted them to get a guided tour, so to speak, of Savannah so we took them on the Old Savannah Tours trolley. They really enjoyed it and so did we.

If you're interested in a walking tour, there's a guy named Bobby Davis that gives a good tour. This is his website: http://www.exploresavannah.com/index.html.

His website also has some restaurant recommendations and a short list of things to do.

The majority of the sites at Skidaway Island State Park are pull through sites. They might all be pull through. I'm not sure. If you want to go there, you can make reservations on line at the Georgia State Park website.

http://gastateparks.org/net/go/parks...go=1&s=0.0.1.5

If there is a specific site that you might want to have, many of the parks will let you call on the Monday before your arrival date to make your request. I'm not sure what sites there are the best. We've only camped there a couple of times since it's almost like camping in our back yard.

If you have any other questions, I'll try my best to answer them, but I can't guarantee they'll always be right.

Maggie - the not so porky Yorkie and Eddie - the crazy Chiweenie
SavReb is offline   Reply With Quote