Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2018, 08:21 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
SC to Niagra Falls, over to Alexandria NY

Just beginning the planning of a trip leaving from central SC headed ng to Niagra Falls then over to Alexandria NY. Will leave Alexandria heading back to SC.

Suggestions for best routes?
Stops along the way?
RV park suggestions for overnight stop overs, Niagra Falls & Alexandria?

I would like your experience traveling through these areas.

Thx,
Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2018, 08:38 PM   #2

I think we met you at Costco a couple of months ago. Let us know how this trip goes wife wants to go to Niagara falls also
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:55 PM   #3

I live in Niagara Falls,NY.

Plan on two days at the actual (water) Niagara Falls. Once in the actual state park you can buy a pass for all the attractions. A trolly will take you all around the park and you get on and off at stops of interest. I uasually recomend Four Mile State campsite. Sites have electric and spots to fill water before you get at your site. Dump station is available. Reserve at 1-800-camp or www.Reserve America.com Four Mile Creek State campground. Shouldn't need reservation as this is the shoulder season. Your campsite pass allows free parking at Niagara Falls and the near by Fort Niagara. So much to see and do in the area you could be here for six months. Other more expensive campsites are available in the area. PM me if you need more information.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:59 PM   #4

We are on track to visit
Niagara Falls End Of September for Three Days staying Four Mile Creek Youngstown,Ny we are gone the long way around DC Philadelphia NJ Boston and across Massachusetts NewYork, some I95 I81 you want fast or do you wish to See the sights
lrsses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:03 AM   #5

If you like boats don't miss the Antique Boat Museum in Clayton 1/2 to full day well worthwhile.
Tours in Alex Bay to Boldt & Singer Castles. Boldt has a separate tour of the boat house that is interesting. You can't appreciate the beauty of the area unless you get out on the water.
The Adirondack Museum in Blue Mtn Lake is another day well spent.
Fron there you are nor all that far from Lake Placid and the winter olympic sites.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:37 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneykrantz View Post
I think we met you at Costco a couple of months ago. Let us know how this trip goes wife wants to go to Niagara falls also
I remember that, come join us on this trip. Thinking late May

Steve
Old 09-02-2018, 08:39 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
If you like boats don't miss the Antique Boat Museum in Clayton 1/2 to full day well worthwhile.
Tours in Alex Bay to Boldt & Singer Castles. Boldt has a separate tour of the boat house that is interesting. You can't appreciate the beauty of the area unless you get out on the water.
The Adirondack Museum in Blue Mtn Lake is another day well spent.
Fron there you are nor all that far from Lake Placid and the winter olympic sites.
Thx, we will not miss the museum nor the castles. I would like to rent a boat for a couple days to do our own exploring as well.

Thx,
Steve
Old 09-03-2018, 06:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevL View Post
Thx, we will not miss the museum nor the castles. I would like to rent a boat for a couple days to do our own exploring as well.

Thx,
Steve
If you rent a boat to tour make sure to have charts. There are many more than 1,000 Is there... except they are just under the water. The area is spectacular and can only be appreciated from the water.
Talk to some local boaters to find out their favorite spots.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:48 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi,
Consider Swan Bay as your CG for the Alex Bay stop. They are at https://www.swanbayresort.com/ A bit expensive, but very clean and well kept.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:27 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi,
Consider Swan Bay as your CG for the Alex Bay stop. They are at https://www.swanbayresort.com/ A bit expensive, but very clean and well kept.
I already have a tentative reservation there, they will not confirm until December. Glad I may have made a good decision.

Thx,
Steve
Old 09-03-2018, 07:36 AM   #11

Letchworth State Park might be a place for you to visit after seeing the falls. There are 3 pretty large waterfalls in this park. RV sites are huge , but electric only ( 50 amp) . Association Island is also a pretty nice CG to stop at before getting over to Alex bay. I see you are planning on Swan Bay, but of that falls through for some reason, look into Mary Knoll in Clayton. Nice family owned park.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:50 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
We made a very similar trip in August: Charleston, SC to Niagara falls. But we headed through mid-NY instead of hugging the coast of Lake Ontario, as it looks like you will do on the way to Alexandria. We went to the finger lakes (wine country) and cooperstown (baseball hof).

We started on I-26 W from CHS to Columbia. Caught 321 from Columbia to Hickory NC. Then 40 East to Statesville, then I-77 to Beckly WVA. At Beckly, we exited to US-19 north and then caught I-79 north through Pittsburgh and on to Erie PA. From there, I-90 east for a few miles until we entered NY. Before the tolls on I-90, we hit NY-5 which parallels 90 and hugs the shore of Lake Erie, and took that to Buffalo. Then I-190 through town and then The Niagara Scenic Parkway to Four Mile Creek state park.

Boondocked in NC, KOA in WVA, boondocked in PA, then we spent 4 days at 4 Mile.

When we left Niagara, we used NY-18, which hugs the coast of Lake Ontario, before cutting south to head to the finger lakes.

Hope this helps. I got some input from others on this forum about places to stay and also about using the byways in NY (not only to avoid the tolls but for the scenery.)

Regards.

Chuck
Old 09-04-2018, 08:35 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
PS - While in Niagara Falls, go to the town of Niagara Falls, to a section called Little Italy. Grab breakfast at the Marketside Cafe and get the "Sal Maglie." Named for "The Barber" (gave close shaves....) himself, who was from NF and frequented Marketside in retirement. Great place, spent some time talking with the owner and really enjoyed the food. Also, right around the corner is DiCamillo Bakery - another hole in the wall, but great breads and pastries.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 09-04-2018, 06:51 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Conditioned Gypsy View Post
PS - While in Niagara Falls, go to the town of Niagara Falls, to a section called Little Italy. Grab breakfast at the Marketside Cafe and get the "Sal Maglie." Named for "The Barber" (gave close shaves....) himself, who was from NF and frequented Marketside in retirement. Great place, spent some time talking with the owner and really enjoyed the food. Also, right around the corner is DiCamillo Bakery - another hole in the wall, but great breads and pastries.

Regards.

Chuck
Thanks for the heads up, we love the hidden gems.

Steve