Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2021, 08:53 PM   #1

Sequoia and Kings Canyon NP

My wife and I spent 6/7 through 6/12 at Upper Stony Creek in site 16. The campground varied between 50% and 100% full. M/T/W nights were cold, mid 30s, so a lot of people in tents left early or never showed up. The camp host, Manual, I think, was great, and said they have been getting a lot of cancellations. The site itself was really nice but not that level, the flattest spot I could find was 4.5 inches low on one side. Made the step out the door a big one. Other than that, I couldn't have been happier. Centrally locate to both NPs, 5 minutes from Stony Creek Lodge with a store and gas, 30 minutes to Hume Lake, and 10 minutes to Grant Grove Village. The only real negative on the trip was there are no showers in the forest or NPs. Nearest showers are private RV parks outside the NPs.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2021, 01:14 PM   #2

Thanks for the trip report! Aren't the Sequoias amazing?

It's a sad fact that ten percent of all of the giant trees were killed in the last few back-country wildfires. The fire damage is not visible unless you hike into the boonies, but it is a tragedy.

Fun fact for next trip -- when there is enough water in Stony Creek, there are swimming holes available out in the middle of nowhere! Wear sandals or tennis shoes -- the stream-side rocks are both hot and slick.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:02 PM   #3

Yes they are. We really like the area and keep going back. We went up stream from upper stony campground a little ways to a few fishing holes/swimming holes. Not more than a mile. We were going to go up farther but the trail seemed to disappear and we were basically bushwhacking. Are the holes you are talking about upstream or downstream? And where is the start of the trail?
Old 07-01-2021, 06:20 PM   #4

Fell in love with Stoney Creek when we camped there in 1967. We kids (I was 11) had fun damming up a nice swimming hole. Funny how the water isn't nearly as cold when you're a kid. Been back many times.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwoods22 View Post
Fell in love with Stoney Creek when we camped there in 1967. We kids (I was 11) had fun damming up a nice swimming hole. Funny how the water isn't nearly as cold when you're a kid. Been back many times.
I was thinking yesterday I am ready to go back now. Maybe I can figure out how to go back at the end of summer.
Old 07-02-2021, 04:06 PM   #6

If you hike down to the creek west of Stony Creek Lodge, there is a natural water slide maybe a half mile downstream. This is me and DW exactly 30 years ago:

Click For Full-Size Image.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:19 PM   #7

We hiked and fished, mostly fished, down to where Stony Creek and Woodward Creek meet. We were going to go further but were running out of daylight. We also hiked upstream, above Upper Stony Creek campground and saw some slides.