Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Shakedown Trip

Heres the deal. We take delivery on our first MH. A Winnebago Journey 39K, 2006. I live in Northern California.

We take delivery on the 28th. Any suggestions of where to go? The wife would like the coast. We need a location within walking distance to a beach or tidal area.

Also, as far as shaking down our new toy. Any thoughts on whether I should boondock or get hooked up.

Thanks.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
Are you guys new to RVing? If so, set it up in your driveway and spend a couple of nights or a day and night getting used to it and the systems. With each coach we have bought, we would do a short trip to nearby state park(s) - 15miles or so. That way we could drive back home if we had forgotten something. You will quickly figure out what the essentials are and what you really need. It took a couple of trips for us to decided we had things that added weight and took up space.
You will know when you are ready for a cross country or extended trip. Good luck
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #3

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

DO HOOKUPS ON YOUR FIRST TRIP OUT. You can play with all systems without having to worry about batteries running down. My favorite RV Park with beach access is Pismo Coast Village in Pismo Beach. Price is reasonable, full hookups, easy access, all sites are back-in and far enough from N Ca to give you a chance to drive and check out the running gear, one steep down grade between Paso Robles and San Luis Obispo to check out exhaust brake and it is an easy drive,
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We are in the same boat as you, except we bought our 2002 HR Endeavor last fall. Our toad is a CTS Caddy. We took 2 short trips less than 200 miles, for a total of 2 weeks to learn what we needed and so forth. In addition, I needed to get my comfort level and confidence up that all mechanical systems where a go and that I could safely drive the thing in all situations. I am still neverous, but I am not afraid to strike out across the country now which we plan on doing in a week or so. At least I know everything works (knock on wood). Full hook-ups is the way I would go if given a choice. Good luck.
Parkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Are you guys new to RVing? If so, set it up in your driveway and spend a couple of nights or a day and night getting used to it and the systems. With each coach we have bought, we would do a short trip to nearby state park(s) - 15miles or so. That way we could drive back home if we had forgotten something. You will quickly figure out what the essentials are and what you really need. It took a couple of trips for us to decided we had things that added weight and took up space.
You will know when you are ready for a cross country or extended trip. Good luck
Good advice!
BigTonyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #6

I'd second the Pismo area. We might get down there this coming weekend (although we'll stay at the State Park right next door -- no hookups, but more room).

Steve
Old 12-25-2012, 01:55 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like some good advice all around. I might do the Pismo Beach run a little bit later though, and the state park next door looks good also. I like the staying close to home plan and wife wants the coast. Maybe around Half Moon Bay or Santa Cruz. Driving a a big rv is no problem for me. I retired from the Fire Service working Airports so driving monster rigs in tight quarters is fun for me. We have done a lot of camping with tent trailers and just tents. So, no traveling experience with an RV. My dad had one, he didn't like to share.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:04 AM   #8

I might suggest Fort Bragg. There are a few good private campgrounds that would be empty this time of year.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Just my opinion but Fort Bragg may be good but I'd suggest not if he is new to motorhome driving. Driving Highway 1 in a 40 foot motorhome can be somewhat scary for seasoned drivers.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:32 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looks like we will be at the Santa Cruz Monterey KOA Saturday thru Ney Years. Hoping for a good run.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:13 AM   #11

Congratulations on your new rig, enjoy your shakedown cruise, and Happy New Year!
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have arrived. Everything's good. Except for missing some stuff it is time for cocktails.