Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2019, 02:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
+1 on Palo Duro Canyon. It is sort of a mini Grand Canyon. They have a very nice RV park inside the Canyon. We stayed there one night on our way to the Balloon Fiesta last year. Well worth the little side trip off of I-40.
And another vote for Palo Duro. We like the Mesquite campground as it feel more remote but the newest one, Juniper I think, looks really nice. Don't know how much time you have but the Plains Museum in nearby Canyon is worth at least a half day.

Also a plus one for the all day Lake Powell boat trip to Rainbow NM. If you don't need hookups, Lee's Ferry is a great place to overnight in this area. Its right on the Colorado River and is the starting point for all the raft trips. through the Grand Canyon. About 1.5 hrs from the North Rim of the Canyon.

With the jeep along, I'd sure spend some time in the Moab area. The Schafer Trail is a nice drive and there a lots of more challenging roads in the area. Horse Thief is a BLM campground convenient to Arches NP, Canyonlands NP and Dead Horse Point SP.

The Burr Trail near Capitol Reef NP is another scenic backway with some cool switchbacks.

Have fun - we'll be a couple of weeks behind you from NC.
huachuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2019, 08:12 PM   #16

the san juan mountains are beautiful. west delores campground outside of delores puts you right on the river. I thought 4 corners was a tourist trap and a bit expensive to see a brass plate in the ground. area around it is great. McFee reservoir north of cortez is a good home base for mesa verde and surrounding area. below the McFee reservoir is another cool campground right on the delores river. we could hardly get out of this area as there is a lot to do and see. canyons of the ancients national monument outside of delores is something to stop for also. there is a saw mill outside of delores that for less than 10 bucks you can fill your vehicle with enough firewood to last you for a couple weeks. if you get over by the great sand dunes national park, there is a campground called the san luis wildlife area. no water there, but 50 amp service and great campsites for FREE. picked up our water and dumped our tanks at the national park 20 miles away. hot springs 20 miles up the road for showers and soaking. unique area. Alamosa is just south of there and they have a multitude of old railroad cars- including dining and bar cars that you can walk thru. all told, we spent 6 months in these areas and ran out of time
Old 03-26-2019, 08:41 PM   #17

I have a few food suggestions for your destination. Durango. IF you like sushi, go to East by Southwest. For starters, order a round of hand grenades.(not on the menu). Also, Steamworks brewery.

I concur with all the afore mentioned suggestions.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:02 AM   #18

Must See Sites

Thank you ALL for your great and thoughtful recommendations. We unfortunately do not have any more time to spend on the trip, as both of us still work (me full-time, wife half-retired). Anyway, the recommendations are great and have printed them all out. Will have wonderful wife read them and make suggestions along the way. Many thanks again.

Gene & Jeanette
2015 Thor Polazzo 36.1 DP
2016 Jeep Wrangler Sport
gjbales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I too would suggest taking US 82 / 287 across northern Texas vs driving through Oklahoma, which seems to have some of the worst roads in the region.
I disagree if you are trying to retrace Route 66. There are terrific Route 66 museums in Elk City (National Route 66 Museum) and Clinton, OK (Oklahoma Route 66 Museum) that you would miss if you use US 287. The iconic, Art Deco, Route 66 Tower Conoco gas station in Shamrock, TX, is definitely worth getting off I-40 to see. And there are other vestiges of the Mother Road on that route--restaurants, motels, gas stations, a court house featured in the "Grapes of Wrath" movie, etc. All worth a few detours!
Fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:20 PM   #20

Hey Guys, just found your message. Cliff & Martha here. We will be in Moab later this week. Not sure of your timing, but would love to show you around if you are in the area. Take care, travel safe, and have fun!
Bluebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:57 PM   #21

A second vote for Palo Duro Canyon.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:30 PM   #22

We did a similar trip two years ago except from Dallas. Palo Dura is a great stop. Then we went to Santa Fe. Then 84 to Pegosa Springs and on to Durango. Silverton train. Mesa verde. 4 corners / monument valley (long day drive). Million dollar hwy. Mountain bike riding in between. Then back via 550 to Tucumcari. Then a Dallas. About 10 days in total and a really fun trip.
texoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:51 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
If you get anywhere near Ouray with that Wrangler, you MUST do the Ouray to Telluride trail. Can't remember what the route # is but any local can tell you where it is. Probably needs to be on your Jeep bucket list...it's amazing!

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
If you get anywhere near Ouray with that Wrangler, you MUST do the Ouray to Telluride trail. Can't remember what the route # is but any local can tell you where it is.
It's called Imogene Pass and it is now a major OHV/ATV route. The Telluride side is a shelf road, so hope you don't mind steep drop-offs!

If you plan on driving it, read the book "Tomboy Bride" for a great look at the life of a California college girl suddenly transported to a mine along that road in the very early 20th Century.
Fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanrgs View Post
It's called Imogene Pass and it is now a major OHV/ATV route. The Telluride side is a shelf road, so hope you don't mind steep drop-offs!
Imogene Pass is 18 miles and take 3-4 hours!!

Ophir is the easiest and Black Bear the most difficult. All 3 go to Telluride. Awesome rides!!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:39 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Imogene Pass is 18 miles and take 3-4 hours!!

Ophir is the easiest and Black Bear the most difficult. All 3 go to Telluride. Awesome rides!!
But all of it is just Awesome, Right?

I always think of it as one of the Last Great Wild and Beautiful spots in the USA, Oh how I love the San Juan's.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote