Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2022, 04:41 PM   #15

Some of the best camp sites are the ones "level challenged:! We camp for the view, and don't care for parking lot campgrounds. So I guess we do a lot of leveling to get that view.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2022, 08:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
That is what leveling blocks, boards, jacks are for....slightly inclined sites
After the third scotch, the rig tends to level itself.
Old 08-31-2022, 09:00 PM   #17

Some of the older state parks here in Colorado have sites not close to being level. Finding a level site in a forest service campground is almost rare.

IMO there is no excuse for a private campground to have sites that need lots of leveling.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 04:11 AM   #18

Hotels are usually level.
Old 09-01-2022, 04:32 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
I have not traveled all over but from this years dozen states or so across usa and previous many trips on east coast.. Sites vary.. Campgrounds vary.. Some larger Campgrounds are now catering to the 40ft rigs, Class A and 5 ers.,.. Many older campgrounds are made for that 30ft max and limited room for a tow vehicle or toad..

Many of the cool and cozy places I have been at had sites , smaller, wooded ,, sometimes I had to use my added step to get onto the first step ..

I am not a guy that enjoys the parking lot campgrounds.. Sorry.. I pull into those free ones, I call then rest areas on the highways...
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 03:15 PM   #20

What one needs be very careful about with a Class A or C on back in with the slope lower at the rear of the coach. You don't want your rear wheels lifted off the ground or in my humble opinion with the wheels on leveling blocks as the parking brakes are seriously compromised and it would likely be very difficult to utilize wheel chocs. Less of an issue if the slope is to the front - but still a caution.
RossMacD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 03:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Some of the best camp sites are the ones "level challenged:! We camp for the view, and don't care for parking lot campgrounds. So I guess we do a lot of leveling to get that view.
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 04:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiledowl View Post
...What type of campers would be the most affected by inclines? Thanks
After camping all my life (67 years), I can easily answer that question.

The answer is: Class A, Class B, Class B+, Class C campers. And the sharper the incline, the tougher it is for these camping units. Why? Because they have 4 points of contact with the ground that can not be moved, except for some minor adjustments with leveling jacks. But if the incline is too great, even leveling jacks stroke out (reach their length) and can go no more.

Any trailer with a front jack that allows the trailer to pivot up and down on its axle will have few problems leveling on a campsite with a front to back incline.

I have seen many, many, many CLASS A, B, and C's on inclines and I've wondered how the occupants even stay in bed at night without rolling out.

On the other hand, trailers with jacks on the front can adapt much, much easier. Here's an extreme example. This was in North Carolina:

Old 09-04-2022, 04:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiledowl View Post
just curious why you would have a camp ground with more sites on an incline rather than level. Doesn't mkae good business sense
If it is a county, state or federal campground built and or designed by a government employee I don't think they use good business sense.
joespring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 04:44 PM   #24

Part of being an RVer is knowing how to level up your rig.
Gary Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 05:18 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I asked a campground owner in Nebraska why most of the sites were slopped or lower in the front. He stated it for 5th wheel campers so they can stay connected to the truck and steps not be so high off the ground. He asked what type RV I had. I told him a class A 40'. Then he asked why did you park in a 5th wheel site? Because that's where your folks sent me! Makes sense I guess...
Old 09-04-2022, 07:40 PM   #26

Level spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
I have only camped in several rv campgrounds that did not have level sites for my fifth wheel trailer..........it is a really big deal as we do not carry or want to carry leveling blocks, want our stabilizer jack legs extended unnecessarily and/or have my tires jacked up off the ground. In 2 cases we requested the park reassign us to a level site and they did. Do not settle for less than a level site.....maybe the rv parks with them will get the message and level them......not a big deal with a dozer.
Maybe not a big deal physically, but financially is another matter.
sgpd1sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 07:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Miller View Post
Part of being an RVer is knowing how to level up your rig.
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And one comment was made that the in an unlevel campsite, "the ground cannot be moved". Sure it can. That's what they make SHOVELS for! We have been in a zillion campspots where shoveling was the order of the day. I have shoveled dirt out of one side where one set of duals would reside and, built the other side up where the other duals would sit. I've actuall almost laid the body on the ground in the back by digging so much for the tires to drop in and, at the same time, I've used every stick of lumber I carry to drive up on the front with the front tires.

I had to do it that way because, that sight was the only site left in the park. And it always cracks me up when folks say: "I'd just move to another site". Yeah sure you will, especially on a holiday weekend or, it's a very, very popular camping area like the Sierras in CA and NV.

You do what you have to do. Those of us that know our rigs and all the systems involved i.e. jacks and suspension etc., know just what kind of leeway, stretch, give and all that, that the coach will display before it's out of it's ability to level. So, compensation, like DIGGING can be an only answer. Done it plenty of times.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 07:54 PM   #28

Slight incline at camp ground

Around here you may find a full serve site that’s level if your lucky. We carry Anderson levellers and blocks to level the trailer. It’s not really our thing though to camp on something that looks more like a parking lot than the great outdoors though. I’m truly shocked that someone wouldn’t carry blocks. [emoji54]
randomledder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light