Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Snakes in the rv

This is a true story about our week end camping experience. The DW and I had just had a wonderful 3 days camping in northern Georgia. As usual, I was outside breaking camp while she was inside putting things together for our trip back to Florida. I heard her scream out "there's a snake in the RV" (actually I had to clean up her exact phrasing a bit) . When I got inside, sure enough there was a black racer snake trying to slip under the slide out couch.
Get it she screamed! Now that is the last thing I was going to do because I am deathly afraid of snakes. I tried to convince her that was an inside responsibility but that only caused her to use more profanity. I thought about just selling the RV with the snake thrown in as a freebie. Somehow I worked up the courage to pin it down with an umbrella...now what to do? What would Marlin Perkins do? A thought came to mind. I used my BBQ tongs to grab a hold of the snake and pull him out from under the couch by his tail, which must have aggravated him somewhat, as he now slivered over my hand. I screamed like a little girl (no disrespect meant) as I ran out the coach door with this huge serpent coiled around my hand (ok maybe he was 1 1/2 foot long, but he SEEMED huge to me at the time. I threw him and the tongs into some soft warm grass. I think it is time to get another set of tongs...my question is, do they make six foot long BBQ tongs?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
Community Administrator

You made me cry. Too funny.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #3

Funny!
They do make cats...
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
You made me cry. Too funny.
X2

My worst nightmare! I'd of had to sell my coach.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Once I stopped laughing I thought of a suggestion...

Get an Australian Terrier. Renowned snake hunters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Koda 008.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	22773  
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #6

Carolina Campers
There's just never a mongoose around when you need one!
rocknrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:10 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like he was to small to make a pair of boots ,good to just throw him out. Maybe he will be big enough next time Jim
Old 06-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #8

Snakes don't bother me a bit. I respect the ones with rattles and the ones the "Swamp People" let bite them for The History Channel TV ratings.

I've had to extract a gopher snake from a motorcycle frame. A Sidewinder from a sand rail. We had to kill that one because it was in an area at the dunes where there were thousands of people gathered; many of which were consuming adult beverages. Bad combination. When I was married, scared my wife by bringing home a King snake I found in the middle of the road. I showed it to her in the palm of my hand... I've been bitten by a few non-poisonous ones. One drew blood when I yanked my arm from it's mouth. Naw, they don't bother me.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:11 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If a snake ever bit me, I would not die from the venom, I would die from a "HEART ATTACK".
Old 06-24-2012, 07:14 AM   #10

KZ RV Club
Oh geez. And here I thought my coach was impenetrable. Just this past week a couple told us a story of a mouse which involved a terror-struck wife spending a portion of the night in the shower as she felt it was the only "safe" mouse-free place. We've brought bugs in from stores (gross) but I do NOT want to think about rodents or God forbid snakes. Bless you for admitting you screamed like a girl. DH is a Sergeant Major so I'm not sure if he'd just scream on the inside . . .
Old 06-24-2012, 07:15 AM   #11

dokie, what would you do if a lizard bit you? After all, it's just a snake with legs.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #12

Anybody been able to walk up to a wild mouse and pet it? If they know you are there, you will be lucky to even see it. Peanut butter works great in a snap-trap.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, yes, they do, sort of, but 3' is easier to find.

Fireplace tongs are about 3 feet.

Your "Grabbit" disability aids are as well.

But they make tree pruning tools that are longer and can easily be made into "Tongs"

My recommendation would be a fish net.. Long handle and the mesh will fool the thing long enough to get it out doors.

But then.. I am not all that afraid of most snakes. And I know which ones to be afraid of.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #14

Noose-on-a-stick. Take any piece of hollow tubing and run any kind of flexible material up the inside leaving a loop at the end. slip the loop over his head and pull.

I made one out of some tubing and safety wire once because it was the only flexible material handy. Had to pull a 6' king snake out of a cable tray in one of our buildings. Thing was, once I had him he coiled up around the end and twisted the wire so I couldn't let him loose - ended up with a 10lb ball of Pissed-off-snake-on-a-stick.

For non-venomous critters, heat mitts are pretty good for grabbing them. The little teeth have a harder time getting to you with all that fabric and insulation.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote