Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2020, 11:20 AM   #1

Question Snowbirding in Arizona

Hello Folks,
Not only am I new to being a snowbird but I'm new to your website as well.

Has anyone done any extended stays (4 months) in Arizona around Tucson. Looking for recommendations for a RV resort, campground etc.
We have a Newmar Dutchstar that's approx. 44 ft. long with slides on both sides. We also pull a Jeep behind.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get!

Mark
MFugate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2020, 11:33 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

During the months of Dec>March , 50>60 % of the population in AZ will be snowbirds . With RV sites in Jan/Feb at an absolute premium . Reservations for those months a necessity .
I can't help with park info around Tucson , but when you do make contact with any park , make sure they can fit you in for Jan / Feb.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:36 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
We stayed at Winter Haven RV Community for a week when we were there. You'll need to reserve early or they fill up. They are located in the Tucson Meadows gated retirement community. Recreation Vehicles
2Newsomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:46 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFugate View Post
Hello Folks,
Not only am I new to being a snowbird but I'm new to your website as well.

Has anyone done any extended stays (4 months) in Arizona around Tucson. Looking for recommendations for a RV resort, campground etc.
We have a Newmar Dutchstar that's approx. 44 ft. long with slides on both sides. We also pull a Jeep behind.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get!

Mark
First off:

I have stayed in the area you mentioned but not for as long as you stipulated. PIMA county fairgrounds was a good place to visit as they catered really well to the "Mutant" group we travel with.

We do stay for a month or two at a time in various campsites around the southern border with Mexico. Lots to do in Yuma and contact us if you want some recommendations of attractions to see.

I am sure someone will be able to give you insight into some great campgrounds in that area. If you are interested in looking at the skies with a powerful telescope I would recommend the campground in Benson Arizona. Their web site is https://www.rv-resort.com/
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:17 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum!!

If you want activities including awesome pickleball then Voyager is the place to go in Tucson!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:38 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Rincon Country East in Tucson

We are staying at Rincon Country East in Tucson this coming January and February. Why? Pickleball, nice pool, lots to do inside the gated community, bike paths nearby, etc. It's not on an interstate so no traffic noise.
Skidaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:48 AM   #7

We don't snowbird there but like the LazyDays KOA in Tucson.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:55 AM   #8

LazyDays KOA in Tucson
Pete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:12 AM   #9

X3 on the Tucson KOA. They have covered parking camp sites available. Also besides a pool and hot tub they have a restaurant and bar on site. But it is pricey. Reservations for winter snowbirding are a must. For other camp grounds look on campgroundreviews.com.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 12:03 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Two years ago we stayed for three months at the KOA Tucson and it was nice but a bit on the expensive side for very few amenities. They then raised their rates by approximately 25% for the next year, so we passed.

We did a lot of looking around Tucson, and while Voyager has a lot of amenities, the park itself was just too big and the sites were on the narrow side for our liking.

We then found Winter Haven and stayed there last year for four months for a lot less than what KOA was charging and loved it. We will be returning this year.

The sites are very wide but can vary in depth. There were two Cornerstones and an Anthem there, which are around 45', but there are many sites they would not have fit into.

They are probably booked, but I would give them a call (Gary is the RV Manager 520-269-1583) as you never know what affect the Covid situation might be having.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2429.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	361.0 KB
ID:	290867   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2430.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	430.9 KB
ID:	290869  

BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:29 PM   #11

We stayed at Voyager this past winter (Southeast side of Tucson). Dec1-March1 was about $1650 + electric. There is plenty to do here (most of which we didn't do...) Was a nice big park with on-property golf if that's your thing. Plenty of activities too. Gated/guarded entrance. Close to I-10.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:32 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We spent a month Feb. at Mission View. Smaller park not a lot of organized activities. Not good if you like to sleep in, the fighters taking off at 7:00 am is pretty loud.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:55 PM   #13

Winter Haven was one we were looking at - do they have organized activities like cards, bingo, shuffle board, pool, aerobics, entertainment, etc? How about getting around the park, do they use golf carts?
The website doesn’t give much info.
We have a 44 ft. Motorhome and a tow vehicle - are the sites large enough to still have patio area.
Any info you can provide will be helpful.
Thanks!
Old 06-26-2020, 05:04 PM   #14

Could you provide more info about Voyager? We have a 44ft. Motorhome and a tow vehicle. From what I’ve read the sites are small and hard to get into.
How do they get around the park - do they use golf carts? Apparently they have a lot of things to do if you enjoy that. In a 4 month stay I would probably try something.
Thanks for any extra info you can support.

Tags
arizona