Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2021, 05:45 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Snowbirds about to head out...

So we are leaving Michigan on friday heading to Florida for the winter. We are towing our car for the first time, and considering attempting to stay overnight at rest stops so that we don't have to undo the tow every night. What are some of the challenges we will be looking at?
I know that the big rig area is a premium for truckers and don't want to take up space there that they may need, so can we pull into larger 'car' parking areas for the night?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2021, 06:17 AM   #2

Most campgrounds have pull through sites were you don't have to unhook your tow. Leave the rest areas for truckers who don't have any other option.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:23 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
You pay road taxes just like every other vehicle? Use the public rest stops, pretty sure those places have signs say which vehicle need to use what areas. We’ve also used box stores if they are handy. Stop, sleep, go.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:31 AM   #4

Walmart is a good place to overnight for us, always ask permission though.
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:55 AM   #5

Rest areas and ear plugs. Works great!

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:18 AM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
dbircky is right on with "Big Box" stores. We just stopped overnight at a Lowes. I just kept as far away from the action as possible. Home Depot was also close by. There's a list of Walmarts that the city it's in won't allow overnight parking.
groveln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:38 AM   #7

You'll want to park in the "big rig area" that is what it is for.

Most rest stops I've been to have a sign that says "Truck and Trailer Parking". That includes you. You pay taxes to support the rest stop so you have a right to use it too.

Truck Stops, they are a differnt story since they are privately owned business, ask management first. Not uncommon for Truck Stops to charge for overnight parking, many have online reservation systems.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:49 AM   #8

you have many options to overnight, truckers have few...rest stops and truck stops. a few rest areas in FL have three areas...autos, semis and RVs. a few in TX are like that but i've not seen that at rest areas in other states. professional drivers are now and have been working hard to keep our country supplied. please show them the respect and compassion they are due by leaving the rest area spaces to them. you might get away with overnighting in the auto area but i'd expect a middle-of-the-night knock on the door. us? when we head to AZ we stop at open commercial campgrounds.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:07 PM   #9

I'd recommend WalMarts for overnighting. Park along the perimeter & if you have to open a slide have the slide extending away from the parking lot so vehicles or people don't hit them. Stop and pick up your dinner from the deli and other necessities. Call ahead and pick out a couple possibilities. Some WalMarts don't allow overnighting because of city ordinances so calling ahead is best.

https://www.walmartlocator.com/rv-parking-at-walmart/

I also agree that rest area overnighting is for truckers. If you do use one you'll, most likely, be parking in the trucker section because of your size. Pull in early or you'll find it full.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 12:44 PM   #10

I have to admit that I don't understand the veneration for truckers. If there is a huge need for resting areas for truck drivers, then perhaps that industry ought to look into establishing facilities, at their cost. Obviously such a cost would be tacked on to freight bills, but that's the way it's supposed to work. To simply cede a rather large right and privilege away from the (paying) general public for the benefit of one narrow industry allows truckers to externalize costs that they ought to bear.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
I have to admit that I don't understand the veneration for truckers. If there is a huge need for resting areas for truck drivers, then perhaps that industry ought to look into establishing facilities, at their cost. Obviously such a cost would be tacked on to freight bills, but that's the way it's supposed to work. To simply cede a rather large right and privilege away from the (paying) general public for the benefit of one narrow industry allows truckers to externalize costs that they ought to bear.
parking at a rest area is not a "right". convenience born of the reality of fatigue during long cross-country drives is more like it. some states are starting to close rest areas as services aimed at the traveling public proliferate at exits off the interstate. personally i think that's a bonheaded and short-sighted decision but I wasn't invited to the meeting. trucks stops are usually full as are a lot of the rest areas. case in point. we returned home last August from a round trip alomg I-80 from our home in IL to NorCal in our MH because of a family death. many of the rest stops we passed along the way were very small and able to accomodate only a fraction of the cars and trucks on the road.

IMO truckers are vitally important to our country, economy and our very lives. nothing...nothing we buy in our stores or thru the interweb...food, clothing, medications and all the rest...end up in our hands without trucks or truckers (and by extension the termimal workers, long shoremem, etc.). veneration? if by that you mean a healthy respect, admiration and more than an ounce of gratitude?
you betcha.

respectfully, RVers have other options.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
parking at a rest area is not a "right"....
Driving on the Interstate is not a "right" either. (Driving in general is not a "right") So by this logic RV'rs driving on the Interstate are increasing congestion and contributing to truckers operational costs, increasing travel time, contributing to fatigue, and in general in the way of comercial trucks.

With the same logic, RVs have other options, they should stay off all interstates and use county roads and less traveled state highways.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 02:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollf View Post
Driving on the Interstate is not a "right" either. (Driving in general is not a "right") So by this logic RV'rs driving on the Interstate are increasing congestion and contributing to truckers operational costs, increasing travel time, contributing to fatigue, and in general in the way of comercial trucks.

With the same logic, RVs have other options, they should stay off all interstates and use county roads and less traveled state highways.
faulty logic. driving is a priviledge regulated by the state. highways and roads were created to facilitate commerce within and between the states and are the blood vessels of civilization. the vehicles that use those roads are the life blood. trucks, busses, cars in a daily commute or the family on a great American road trip in whatever kind of vehicle contribute to our country's economy and thus raise our collective standard of living. a commercial truck's cost to operate is not impacted by other vehicles sharing the road.
Old 10-26-2021, 04:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
parking at a rest area is not a "right". convenience born of the reality of fatigue during long cross-country drives is more like it. some states are starting to close rest areas as services aimed at the traveling public proliferate at exits off the interstate. personally i think that's a bonheaded and short-sighted decision but I wasn't invited to the meeting. trucks stops are usually full as are a lot of the rest areas. case in point. we returned home last August from a round trip alomg I-80 from our home in IL to NorCal in our MH because of a family death. many of the rest stops we passed along the way were very small and able to accomodate only a fraction of the cars and trucks on the road.

IMO truckers are vitally important to our country, economy and our very lives. nothing...nothing we buy in our stores or thru the interweb...food, clothing, medications and all the rest...end up in our hands without trucks or truckers (and by extension the termimal workers, long shoremem, etc.). veneration? if by that you mean a healthy respect, admiration and more than an ounce of gratitude?
you betcha.

respectfully, RVers have other options.

Interesting perspective .

Let's go point by point .

In my youth my Dad always said that truck drivers were the best drivers on the road , competent , trained , courteous and respectful . Dad also said if you want a good place to eat always stop where the truckers stop . How many of us can still say the same thing today . Certainly , from my experiences it no longer applies.

As to rights , we all pay for our roads , but it seems the trucks are taking more than their fair share . The condition our roads are in are from truck traffic , not cars or RV's.

Personally , I'll stop using the Interstate Hwy. when my road taxes are refunded.

One more thing , If it wasn't for us consumers the truckers wouldn't have a job.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bird