Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2018, 09:33 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Something You Don't See In Many Parks - Real High Speed Internet

Stayed over the winter at Tampa South RV Resort. Sites were on the smallish side with crushed shells for parking but each site was set up for real cable service from Spectrum.

I have Dish so dint need cable but since they were configured for cable you could also get high speed internet. Cable guy ran cable from the box on my site to the access port in one of my bays, hooked up the cable modem/wireless router viola 100 mb speed.

It was either $20.00 or $40.00 per month can't remember.

Would love to see where I am now, Bay Bayou. Love it here, staying until November. The WiFi here on the new side is so-so at best. Most of the time I use my iPhone from Verizon as a hot spot.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2018, 04:44 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
High speed does not really exist at most places, especially National parks, state parks, city parks and other non resort places. Even most of the resort type campgrounds have minimal service. Our best bet and for high speed is using our phone as a hot spot. We use T-Mobile 55+ plan with unlimited data (3G as a hot spot) with good results. The problem is not the greatest coverage in some areas.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
High speed does not really exist at most places, especially National parks, state parks, city parks and other non resort places. Even most of the resort type campgrounds have minimal service. Our best bet and for high speed is using our phone as a hot spot. We use T-Mobile 55+ plan with unlimited data (3G as a hot spot) with good results. The problem is not the greatest coverage in some areas.
We have had a Verizon mobile Hot Spot for quite a few years now because I work from where ever we are and need a dependable secure connection. There have not been many places that we have not been able to get service, mostly in valleys surrounded by mountains. In 4G areas, it is very fast, but 3G is a bit slower. I couldn't tell you how it compares to what is available at most campgrounds because we never use their internet.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:32 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
We have had a Verizon mobile Hot Spot for quite a few years now because I work from where ever we are and need a dependable secure connection. There have not been many places that we have not been able to get service, mostly in valleys surrounded by mountains. In 4G areas, it is very fast, but 3G is a bit slower. I couldn't tell you how it compares to what is available at most campgrounds because we never use their internet.
In most CGs I use my Version LTE (4G) service too.

I find most park have really slow WiFi, not worth logging on to.

LTE is usually sufficient for reading the forums, a little slow loading the pages but I can live with it. I'm usually on business when I'm in the coach so reliable high speed is a blessing when downloading large files and documents (several mb files sizes). When LTE times out I just wait until I'm at the office the next morning. My time in Ruskin with 100mb/s spoiled me.

On average Verizon download speeds are 36 mbps, higher in bigger cities. So roughly a 3rd of what 100mbps offers. If you achieve the average of 36mbps you would be able to stream video fairly easy.

At my current CG with 4G I'm seeing download speeds of 15mbps, with their WiFi the test times out before reporting speed, now thats just sad. It's like a history lesson when we used a 14.4k modem to connect.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:07 PM   #5

My preferred campground is pretty good. Home depot. Fast internet right to the outside corners of the lot.

Thing is, most travelers have there own plan via their phone and with tethering there is just no need to bother with flaky campground service. Cost is reasonable too.

Tags
internet