Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2022, 05:36 PM   #1

Southern Utah recommendation

I am a newbie, and I am looking for a campground recommendation for southern Utah. I live in Las Vegas and would like to travel about 250-300 miles. Since I do not have a tow vehicle, I am trying to find a spot to stay a couple of days or so, that is within walking distance of a town, in case i need to go shopping.

Sightseeing is not the objective of this trip, we will most likely spend most of our time at the campground, learning about our MH, and hopefully escaping the heat of LV.

Thank you in advance for your input.
Rg8043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2022, 06:00 PM   #2

Not sure which way your “goal direction” is, because in 300 miles, you could be in the LA basin and have a few choices: like Anaheim.

But, within 2 hours of Vegas, is Southern Utah RV Resort. A real nice newer park. Only a mini mart style set of stores close by. There are lots of places to eat along the strip of St. George, but it’s gonna be a several mile walk for anything good. It won’t save you much heat though.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 06:29 PM   #3

Thanks, I should have said that I wanted to travel east, even nothern az would work as well.
Rg8043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 06:40 PM   #4

NOTE: Just realized that I’m basing my input on the fact we’re a 45’ Class A with a TOAD…so our selections are a lot more limited.
…..

Ok. Going east…not possible with your criteria. It’s a LONG dry spell down towards Phoenix through the hills.

We just come up from Phoenix to Vegas.

Kingman is a neat town, Beale St. RV is about it but really small.

There’s a state park north of Arizona. BUT you’re not gonna be near anything.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 07:01 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new camper.

Kanab, UT is ~200 miles from Las Vegas. We've stayed at the Kanab RV Corral RV Park a couple of times while waiting for our campsite a few miles north of town at Best Friends to open up. It was clean with decent facilities and reasonably quiet considering you are just a few blocks from downtown. So no problem walking around town for shopping and supplies.

We've also stayed at Crazy Horse RV Park which is on the east side of town and also within walking distance to grocery store and other shopping. Some of the sites here may take a bit to level yourself out, but otherwise it was clean with decent facilities.

Hope it doesn't heat up too much this month. We will be at Red Rock Canyon for a week near the end of April. Guess I'll pack some extra 12v fans!!...
Old 04-02-2022, 10:43 PM   #6

Flagstaff, AZ has awesome cool summer temperatures. There are a few RV parks in town. It's 250 mi from Las Vegas on I-40.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 01:57 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Cedar City, UT would be my choice. It's cooler and you can bike around the city on some nice bike paths. It's a pretty simple drive up I-15 (but maybe closer to 3 hours).

When we cancelled a few locations around Las Vegas last May because of heat we choose the Cedar City KOA. There may be other campgrounds. The KOA was within walking distance of a few restaurants (or at least the hot dog place across the street).
Old 04-05-2022, 09:50 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You have many options. From St George to Virgin, there are many RV parks. Temple View in St George is nice. Zion River Resort in Virgin is nice as well. They also have shuttles running into Zion, but I am not sure they are running now? Many other areas are very nice with their own "feel". As others have mentioned, Kanab and Hurricane are close by areas with RV parks as well. Research what fits your wants and go there. There are many websites and apps that can help you with info but in the end, you've got to go out, put your eyes on the place and explore to determine what your preference is and what works best for you.
FYI, I am in LV as well and I use Oasis RV overnight to trial run the RV before a long trip.
chinobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 10:42 AM   #9

I would second Kanab. Lots of places in town (groceries, restaurants, and a BLM station if you want to research things to do (lots of hiking) when you get back there...
Old 04-07-2022, 11:30 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
We spent a week in Williams Az. In mid summer and temps in 80’s. The town of Williams is very cool. Lots to see and convenient. We stayed at Circle Pines KOA RV Resort.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 02:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
I would second Kanab. Lots of places in town (groceries, restaurants, and a BLM station if you want to research things to do (lots of hiking) when you get back there...
There is also a repair shop in Kanab that is quite familiar with RVs if that is any help, although they are pretty expensive.

There is also Page, AZ which is next to Lake Powell and there are places to camp, both free (boondocking) and paid, in the area.
AJMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 08:04 PM   #12

We spent a few days at Kodachrome State Park last summer. It was probably 2-3 degrees less than Vegas at the time. You should look for campgrounds at high elevation. Bryce Canyon may be perfect. Moab has a lot to offer but is a bit beyond the range mentioned.
Scott 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 08:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 3 View Post
We spent a few days at Kodachrome State Park last summer. It was probably 2-3 degrees less than Vegas at the time. You should look for campgrounds at high elevation. Bryce Canyon may be perfect.
I would second the recommendation of both Bryce and Kodachrome.

We have been to both and, in my view, Bryce is the most striking National Park in the US. It is at a very high altitude (above 7500 feet) and so is cool even in the mid summer (it snowed at the end of May one year we were there) and we try to go every year. Kodachrome Basic State Park is also worth seeing, although it is at a considerably lower altitude than Bryce.
AJMike is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
utah