Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2021, 01:23 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Space on private property for rent in Massachusetts?

I have a 1997 winnebago brave 31RQ. It is in excellent condition and being remodeled. I am currently in Florida but want to return back to Massachusetts. Unfortunately, nearly all of the campgrounds there have turned “glamp.” There are only two that I have found that are open year-round that except older vehicles. One is booked solid and doesn’t even except more people on the waiting list. The other is practically in western Massachusetts, and charge is $600 a month, provides no sewer or septic hook up, and has about a one star review on Google. It’s also very inconveniently located.

I have even looked into southern New Hampshire and Northern Rhode Island. Same deal. What I’m looking for is Space on private property. I would obviously pay rent and my electric bill. I’m also equipped to Boondock for the most part but would prefer the option of having it at the very least an outdoor three prong outlet to keep my batteries charged if I’m running everything off of inverters most of the time.

I’m 46 years old, single, no criminal record. I need to get back onto the Massachusetts healthcare program due to my health and disability status. Ideal locations for me would be anywhere in eastern or central Massachusetts. Not the 413 area code or Cape Cod but anywhere else really. Living near 495 would be ideal but as long as I’m near some highway, I can survive. I grew up in Massachusetts, spending the first 34 years of my life there.

I’m on a fixed income, and physically disabled. I have friends in the area, but none of them have enough land to accommodate my vehicle. If anybody lives or know somebody who lives anywhere in between Worcester and Boston and has space on their property, I hook up for the water, and an outdoor three prong outlet, that’s really all I need. I would love to be able to hook up to sewer/septic if possible, but not essential. I am more than willing to pay fair price for rent, and possibly figure out if there’s any other services I can provide to make my stay there beneficial to all parties.

I had plans and was going to be up there already, but they all fell through at the last minute. I would really appreciate anybody who has any leads for me.
RDire is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2021, 06:05 PM   #2

Maybe look on craigslist for Farms in search of an overseer?
Old 08-04-2021, 07:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDire View Post
Living near 495 would be ideal but as long as I’m near some highway
I'm not seeing 495 in the list here...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tts_area_codes

This may work for you... or might not. Don't know your circumstances.
If it does not work, then I'm sorry to waste your time...

Around here I see most every construction site and many heavy equipment rental companies with obvious privately owned RVs parked back in a corner. All have a black-on-yellow or black-on-white 4'x8' (or so) vinyl banner hanging off the side and reading "Security".

They get free rent, water, power and telephone in exchange for monitoring a few security cameras, a walk around of the property a few times between 5pm and 8am and weekends and calling the local cops if there's a problem.
Most of them have a curious dog that runs free over the site at night... around here all the construction sites have perimeter chain link fences/gates... makes it easy to make trespassing charges stick... if you are inside the fence line, you're trespassing.
You don't have to be hovering over the security monitors, the motion sensing feature on the security cameras goes BZZZT when your attention is needed...
I was told that the person in the RV is generally a friend of the project manager, builder / general contractor, or the property owner. In other words, he knows someone...

The above info comes from a 25 minute chat with a construction site security guy about 15 years ago. I was asking how to get into that kind of gig... I got discouraged when I heard that his employer wanted all military veterans. That persons circumstances were that he was a former Marine, was taking morning classes at the local college (bicycle distance), doing a 4 year program over 8 years, and had been doing the "security gig" for the last 7 years. He commented that the only difference there was at a site that had a manned security office during construction was that the plumbing construction plans had an extra faucet and an extra sewer cleanout included... where his trailer was parked... for his water hose and his stinky slinky. His shore power came from a 30a outlet patched into a parking lot light pole by the electrical contractor.

Might be worth researching what it takes in Massachusetts for a guard card and if that state has it, an armed guard endorsement... then look around for a heavy equipment rental yard, a construction site, a manufacturing company, or a Public-Storage-type-of-place or an impound yard that needs a night guard. Naturally, you need to be able to sleep during the day and the noise of the site may be a problem for some people. And as I said above, it helps to know the property owner or the builder. In the case of the person I talked to he was a nephew of the general contractor and was on his 20th construction site in 6 years.

I expect that in Massachusetts the circumstances for security guard licensing will be different. For all I know about Massachusetts you may not need a guard card.

Also, most states have "hire the disabled" and "hire the handicapped" programs that make it attractive for an employer to hire them. If Massachusetts does, you might want to dig up all the details... hiring you might get an employer a break... something to bring up when asking for the job.

Does your disability prevent a sit-down job? Locally the state universities all have campus police... Just yesterday an acquaintance applied for a dispatch position... 8 hours a day answering phones and telling cops where to go for $4847 a month (to start). That's about $28 an hour or $1k a week. He found that job on indeed.com (where the job hunt search has a feature for a zip code and a radius around it).

Mike
Old 08-04-2021, 08:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
I'm not seeing 495 in the list here...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tts_area_codes
495 is the major loop west of Boston. It's a road, not an area code.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:43 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
I should’ve specified that I meant interstate 495,. Thank you for the information. My disability does prevent me from sitting down or standing for too long. But I could definitely do the security thing in fact I thought I had something like that lined up. The owner of the RV storage lot was afraid that if somebody got wind that I was actually living in mind and they would report her or try to shake her down to let then live there and if not, retaliate and report her to the zoning commission or something. Massachusetts allows people to live in RVs on other peoples property but certain cities and towns have ordinances against it. I am totally willing to monitor some security cameras and walk around the premises occasionally.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:43 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
I should’ve specified that in my original post. I think I said I don’t want to be in the 413 area code, but then I said I wanted to be near 495. I guess I assumed it anybody was reading this would be familiar with Massachusetts

Tags
ace