Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2015, 11:54 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Spooked in Wichita Falls, TX

We recently returned from our third or fourth RV trip. We are fairly new to RV'ing, so I am interested what you more experienced guys have to say about the situation we found ourselves in, and to inform you that Wichita Falls may not be an ideal place to stay.

The first night we got off late and pulled into Wichita River Bend RV Park in Wichita Falls, TX around 10:30pm. It's a city owned park, with a $17/night honor box for electric. There were several nice RV's camping, and we slid our 40' Monaco Diplomat and toad between two and shut down for the night.

As soon as I had the brakes set, a car that I had noticed behind us as we came into the park pulled directly in front of the RV, blocking our exit. A man jumped out and started to approach the entrance door. My wife locked it and he approached the driver window.

I told my young children (6 and 3) to stay back, and cracked the window and asked the guy what the hell he wanted. My wife was already on with 911 giving a description and license plate (she is an assistant DA and wanted recorded proof of the situation should things escalate). The guy obviously didn't expect to find a pissed off armed 35-year old behind the wheel, and after he stammered something about needing directions to Dallas, I warned him to get lost or else. He beat it, but none of us slept well, and I stayed up a few hours in case the scumbag returned. No police officer ever came into the park.

We had a great vacation and coming home days later we found ourselves needing lunch in Wichita Falls. We were all no longer amped up over our little scare, and besides, lightning never strikes twice in the same spot (town), right?

We pulled in to a Home Depot parking lot adjacent to a Cane's Chicken, a few miles from the park we had stayed at. After we returned to the RV, I told my wife I was going to check the RV and toad while she got the kids settled.

As I descended the steps, I saw a man approaching us. I kid you not, it was the SAME druggie scumbag! He obviously didn't remember me, but we remembered him. He even had on the same clothes! Same exact routine as before, me with my right hand on the butt of my holstered gun, him then realizing he picked the wrong target and hemming and hawing about needing directions to Dallas before making an expeditious escape.

My wife called the police on the non-emergency line and told them the whole story how this guy not once, but twice, approached us in a threatening way on the two times we were in their fair city. She even snapped a photo of him to share with them.

The dispatcher said there had been no actual crime committed, so thanks for calling but not much we can do for you. I have no idea what this guy's intentions were, but I have no doubt directions to Dallas wasn't what he was looking for, and it seems that he may prey on RV'ers.

I needed to purchase $150 worth of diesel, but we decided Wichita Falls wasn't the place to do it, so we moved on out to a smaller town to spend our money, and I guess in the future there won't be any city parks or Walmart boondocking for us.

Thoughts?
sv20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2015, 02:22 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sv20 View Post
We recently returned from our third or fourth RV trip. We are fairly new to RV'ing, so I am interested what you more experienced guys have to say about the situation we found ourselves in, and to inform you that Wichita Falls may not be an ideal place to stay.

The first night we got off late and pulled into Wichita River Bend RV Park in Wichita Falls, TX around 10:30pm. It's a city owned park, with a $17/night honor box for electric. There were several nice RV's camping, and we slid our 40' Monaco Diplomat and toad between two and shut down for the night.

As soon as I had the brakes set, a car that I had noticed behind us as we came into the park pulled directly in front of the RV, blocking our exit. A man jumped out and started to approach the entrance door. My wife locked it and he approached the driver window.

I told my young children (6 and 3) to stay back, and cracked the window and asked the guy what the hell he wanted. My wife was already on with 911 giving a description and license plate (she is an assistant DA and wanted recorded proof of the situation should things escalate). The guy obviously didn't expect to find a pissed off armed 35-year old behind the wheel, and after he stammered something about needing directions to Dallas, I warned him to get lost or else. He beat it, but none of us slept well, and I stayed up a few hours in case the scumbag returned. No police officer ever came into the park.

We had a great vacation and coming home days later we found ourselves needing lunch in Wichita Falls. We were all no longer amped up over our little scare, and besides, lightning never strikes twice in the same spot (town), right?

We pulled in to a Home Depot parking lot adjacent to a Cane's Chicken, a few miles from the park we had stayed at. After we returned to the RV, I told my wife I was going to check the RV and toad while she got the kids settled.

As I descended the steps, I saw a man approaching us. I kid you not, it was the SAME druggie scumbag! He obviously didn't remember me, but we remembered him. He even had on the same clothes! Same exact routine as before, me with my right hand on the butt of my holstered gun, him then realizing he picked the wrong target and hemming and hawing about needing directions to Dallas before making an expeditious escape.

My wife called the police on the non-emergency line and told them the whole story how this guy not once, but twice, approached us in a threatening way on the two times we were in their fair city. She even snapped a photo of him to share with them.

The dispatcher said there had been no actual crime committed, so thanks for calling but not much we can do for you. I have no idea what this guy's intentions were, but I have no doubt directions to Dallas wasn't what he was looking for, and it seems that he may prey on RV'ers.

I needed to purchase $150 worth of diesel, but we decided Wichita Falls wasn't the place to do it, so we moved on out to a smaller town to spend our money, and I guess in the future there won't be any city parks or Walmart boondocking for us.

Thoughts?

thanks for the heads up.
it is great that you have ''situational. awareness''.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:37 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
My thoughts are that guy probably isn't long for this world.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:30 AM   #4

Wow, not good. Glad to hear it all turned out well.

Years of Walmarts, rest areas, etc.. I have never had a problem if you don't count us stopping in a rest area in Kentucky one day to stretch our legs and having a guy beg us for money.

They are out there everywhere. Wichita isn't the only place, and I am not surprised the police didn't help.

Keep safe! But don't let them keep you from enjoying the experience and living your life.

L.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:34 AM   #5

That scruffy guy lives in every city in America.

He could have mental problems, live in his car, in the area and not use drugs at all.

Be prepared to protect and tell him to go away and lock your doors. That's all you can do.

They are not all " druggie scumbags ", just people, drumming to a different beat.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:57 AM   #6

most likely the driections question is a lead in to needing gas money to get home to see his mom who is in bad health.. all just a scam to get money for bad things.
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:10 AM   #7

I guess I'm a little different. And maybe naive. I don't let my guard down, and generally have a plan for protection. But in a public place with others around? I don't know that my FIRST reaction would be to send him packing. I would probably listen and ask questions. Usually they DO have other intentions, and THEN I send them packing. But sometimes someone just needs some help or some directions. Then I can be helpful. Living my life being taller and all around larger than most has probably affected my response as well. Soft hearted? No. Willing to help my fellow man to some extent? Yes. Perhaps they ARE mentally ill. That doesn't mean that intend to harm. Sometimes they just need redirected. We are all humans. And of course our history with folks affects how we deal with others going forward. I guess most of my experiences have just been positive ones. I certainly don't blame the OP for taking a defensive position with regards to his and his family's personal safety. Of course that comes first. I just don't know that "what the hell do you want" and calling the police would be my next actions. But of course there is always that chance that the situation would have turned out different in a bad way for me too.
Bucky1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:14 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Had that happen to us once while taking a break in a rest stop. The guy wasn't particularly scary, he just had some BS story and of course wanted money. He beat feet when DW came out with our rather large dog. The dog wouldn't have hurt anyone but that guy didn't know that.

I agree that all of the "scruffy guys" out there may not be druggies or even dangerous. What I don't get is why some of these people seem to have more rights than those who are productive members of society. If they have a mental problem I feel sorry and think help should be available. I'm still afraid of them because they may not know the consequences of their actions.

I don't mean to get a big debate going here and will be on the look out if we ever get to Wichita Falls.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:32 AM   #9

Carolina Campers
Spooked in Wichita Falls, TX

Same thing happened to us in Amarillo at the Walmart, but this guy said his wife was sick and was taken to the hospital, he was stuck without any money for gas or a hotel, etc. After finally getting him to leave, we did our business and continued our trip to Palo Duro Canyon.

After our stay at Palo Duro Canyon, we headed back to Walmart and sure enough, several days later, he was there with the exact same story....

I solved the problem, I left Texas... Lol
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:47 AM   #10

There are beggars and bums everywhere. And. many see a big fancy RV as a sign of money. I would guess 99% of them are harmless and just want a handout. You can either live life fearing the 1% or doing what you feel you need to do for the 99%.

Travel happy, not fearful.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:26 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I've had that type of thing happen a few times. Once at a rest stop while changing drivers, a couple times at a Walmart or Home Depot, and most often while getting fuel.

I'm guessing the MH stands out from everyone else, and they perceive it as an indicator of wealth, ignorance and easy prey, because I have never been approached in my car. So it is a good practice to be "on guard".
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:34 AM   #12

I have been approached in my car, boat ( at a dock ) and MH.

One, well kept, guy asked for just enough gas money, to get him and his son, off the Jersey Tpk. I saw the new pack of cigarettes in his pocket and asked him how he paid for them. He walked away.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:56 AM   #13

I'm finding our police officers are less and less helpful or concerned. I hope this isn't what we expect for the future. I've had some incidents in the past few years and got it's a civil matter. Well seems everything is a civil matter now. I always take up for our police officers but like I said the past few years I've not been impressed.
Justwinginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:59 AM   #14

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
I've had that type of thing happen a few times. Once at a rest stop while changing drivers, a couple times at a Walmart or Home Depot, and most often while getting fuel.

I'm guessing the MH stands out from everyone else, and they perceive it as an indicator of wealth, ignorance and easy prey, because I have never been approached in my car. So it is a good practice to be "on guard".

Oh I've been approached in a car as well. My hubby is a sucker. Me not so much.
Justwinginit is offline   Reply With Quote