Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2016, 06:20 PM   #1

St. Augustine / Key West / May 2017

Hello, so we have made reservations for St. Augustine and then Key West for next May. Our travel from New Jersey goes like this.

We will spend three full days (four nights) in St. Augustine. We have identified most of the major attractions to visit, is there anything else that might not be in a travel brochure that you night have visited?

After that we take a full day to head down to the Key West area, We are staying at Bluewater Key RV Resort for eight full days (nine nights). Site #65. We will have our bicycles and kayaks with us. We plan on visiting some of the area both north and south of the campground. Again we have the list of the major attractions to visit. One of the activities we are also looking at is stand up paddle board, know a good rental place? We are also thinking of renting a boat and cruise around for a half day. We do not fish or eat seafood (vegetarians) so that is out. Photography would be our main objective for the boat rental.

Again if you have visited a place that you would like to share with us we would appreciate it.

Thanks for taking the time to post your experiences.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2016, 08:07 AM   #2

If you list what you have planned at each location, I can see if there is anything that I would suggest. We go to the Keys a few times a year and to St. Augustine at least 2x a year.
I will suggest that you break up your drive from St. Augustine to Bluewater. Traffic can be iffy especially once you get near Miami and then into the Keys. We generally stay near Homestead then have a nice leisurely drive in to Bluewater in the morning. Bluewater's policy will not let you enter/setup after dark so if you get stuck in traffic on the 8-10 hour drive from St. Augustine you will be in real bind.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:18 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I agree....St Augustine to Blue Water Key is way TOO long of a drive in one day.

Waiting to see what you have planned in each location to see what I can add.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:22 AM   #4

We have many "To Do and See" on the list. I will have to populate that.

As far as the drive we have been looking at that. Bluewater made it clear that no arrivals after 5 PM. Our plan is to depart St. Augustine at 5-6 AM, that should get us into the Miami area before or around noon, 300 miles. Then Miami to Bluewater is a very slow 150 miles. Again, that is the plan for now. The only reservations we have is for Bluewater, May Arrive on the 10th and leave on the 19th.

Here is our list (so far) for St. Augustine:

Castillo de San Marcos
Ponce de Leon's Fountain of Youth
Anastasia State Park
Kayak (Looking for suggestions where to go)
Walk around the center / old part of town.
Segs by the Sea
St. Augustine Alligator Farm Zoological Park (Maybe?)
Afternoon visit with my Dad
Present Moment Cafe (Eat)
The Manatee Cafe (Eat)

Key's:
Lots of kayaking, snorkeling and cycling form our campsite, this was a "selling" point for this location.
The normal visiting of the town of Key West, sunsets, southern most point.
A ride up to Bahia Honda Key, maybe one day with the dogs and one day without.
Cycling along the Florida Keys Overseas Heritage Trail.
Kayaking in the mangroves (looking for suggestions on where to launch)
Photography, we both do a lot.
Baby’s Coffee (Coffee)
Good Food Conspiracy (Eat)
The Cafe (Eat)
Date and Thyme (Eat)
Looking for a Farmers Market
Looking for off leash Dog Parks, according to the internet there is one in 30150 South St Big Pine Key, FL 3304
Dry Tortugas National Park (Maybe? Long day for the dogs to be left alone)
Old 10-27-2016, 08:25 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Gene - I'll send a text. We moved from NJ down to Big Pine Key and have 2 acres with RV hookups!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Gene - I'll send a text. We moved from NJ down to Big Pine Key and have 2 acres with RV hookups!
You did ! I know you would go every year to the KOA. Maybe we can meet at Good Food Conspiracy when we are down there. A little nervous about the Key Deer Screwworm, we will have the pups with us. Chat to you soon.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:00 AM   #7

You need to add shrimp at O'steens in St. Augustine.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:59 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
For St Augustine:

Authentic Mexican definitely go to El Potro at 226 San Marco Ave.
Chocolate Factory Tour
Winery Tour
Shopping at the St Augustine Outlets on both sides of I-95
Camping World and Gander Mountain on the East side of I-95.

For Key West, etc:

Ernest Hemingway House
Duval Street
Mallory Square
Sunsets at the seaport
Hop-On/Off Tram Tours
Higgs Beach Dog Park
Dog Beach just south of Higgs Dog Park if your dog likes to swim
Drive north to Big Pine Key & drive around the National Key Deer Refuge looking for Key Deer.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:18 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
been to keys many times.......I know you said you had bikes, but I have found that renting a scooter to traverse the island is the best method of getting around........great in traffic and pretty easy to find parking.................
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:38 AM   #10

Looks like you have a lot of things covered that I would have suggested. Might want to take the distillery tour in St. Augustine.
You mention framers market for the Keys-- check out the flea market on Big Pine on the weekends-- since you'll be there in May, the pickings will be less as that's about the time they pretty much shut down.
There is a good jetski tour that goes around Key West and over to Stock Island, it also visits some old submarine pens that were built during WW2, but never used.
A trip to the Dry Tortuga's would be a nice way to spend a day. We always do a Sunset sail aboard Sebago when we are there. For live music, we like Green Parrot, Smokin Tuna and Schooner wharf.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:40 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
St Augustine:
For my tastes, I would think the best kayaking in St Augustine would be in the canals that are north of the Castillo. The best place to put in to go there, if they'll let you, is the City Marina. That would make your path across the bay front of St Augustine, which is a nice view. Alternately you could put in at Comachee Cove Marina (if they'll let you), then the canals will be to your right as you exit the marina.
Note that there can/will be HEAVY currents in the the intracoastal/river at St Augustine, so you'll want to watch the tides in that area to know which way the current is going to be running.

You can put in at the lighthouse which would put you in water protected from the current, but a somewhat less interesting paddle - unless you happen to catch dolphins feeding, which happens in that area frequently.

Again, depending upon how the tide is running, there could be a fast current through the intracoastal/river at St Augustine. You'd have to have arms like Popeye and amazing stamina to beat that current. Near the shore it's ok, just pay attention if you get out into the middle. And know which WAY the current is running - it changes direction based on incoming or outgoing tide.

There's nice biking on Anastasia Island in St Aug, in the general vicinity of the Alligator Farm. Nice residential areas and you can ride to the lighthouse. Nothing fancy, just a nice peaceful ride around the area.

Gas Restaurant, an easy walk across the Bridge of Lions from downtown is a great place to go. Small place, family owned, good service, great food. When you look at the menu you might think their sandwiches are a little pricey, but when you see what they bring you (it'll be big) and then taste it, you begin to understand it's worth every penny. The folks in the kitchen are chefs, not cooks. The use organic food, locally sourced, as much as possible. All their bread/buns are freshly baked and have never seen the inside of a supermarket.

Key West:
Lazy Dog Marina on Stock Island is a good place to put in for a paddle in the mangroves. There is a bar/restaurant there for sustenance after the paddle.

Take your bikes and ride the streets around the edge of the island, make the whole circle. It's a nice ride and you get to see the non-tourist places of KW.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:36 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Just some additional planning feedback:

- if you get caught up in traffic and arrive after 5pm, you can always park your rig by my house on Big Pine for the night so no worries there
- Someone mentioned the Big Pine Flea Market. There's word that they're trying to put a Publix on that site so I'm not sure what will happen by next May
- kayaking among the mangroves. At the north end of Summerland Key is Niles Road with a launch on the west side. Real nice area to kayak among the mangroves and its an area where the refuge runs their trips
- Another good kayak trip is from Bluewater to Sugarloaf Creek and out to the ocean. Just have to watch the tides so you won't have to paddle too hard in the Creek.
- Big Pine dog park is close to our house. Nothing special.
- Bahia Honda is beautiful. I don't know if it merits two days though.

Other spots:
- Blue Hole on Big Pine to see alligators
- Government Road in Key West to see crocodile
- Biking to 'loop' at end of Sugarloaf Blvd (also the jumping bridge)
- Other eating spots: Roostica on Stock Island (wife's favorite), Geiger Key Marina, FISH (near Bluewater), Camille's, Old Town Bakery or Harpoon Harry's in KW for breakfast
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:34 AM   #13

Thanks a million for everyone's input. I will have to make some notes.

Tom, thanks for your offer on the nightly stay. We do appreciate it.

If you think of anything more please post it here.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:59 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
Hello, so we have made reservations for St. Augustine and then Key West for next May. Our travel from New Jersey goes like this.

We will spend three full days (four nights) in St. Augustine. We have identified most of the major attractions to visit, is there anything else that might not be in a travel brochure that you night have visited?

After that we take a full day to head down to the Key West area, We are staying at Bluewater Key RV Resort for eight full days (nine nights). Site #65. We will have our bicycles and kayaks with us. We plan on visiting some of the area both north and south of the campground. Again we have the list of the major attractions to visit. One of the activities we are also looking at is stand up paddle board, know a good rental place? We are also thinking of renting a boat and cruise around for a half day. We do not fish or eat seafood (vegetarians) so that is out. Photography would be our main objective for the boat rental.

Again if you have visited a place that you would like to share with us we would appreciate it.

Thanks for taking the time to post your experiences.
We live in Port Orange Florida (a few miles south of Daytona) and love going to the Keys. We always stop at Jonathan Dickinson state park for a couple of days, kayak and bicycling. The trip you are thinking of from st. Augustine in one day is to long to enjoy.
Although Key West is always done for the DW it is not my favorite place, very busy especially if a cruise ship is in. When we do go it is always a stroll down Duval street for all the local shops.

A drive thru Deer key to see the endangered deer is a must as well.

One year we did a snorkel trip which my go pro camera got many clips to brag about. The next year I did a snuba trip from dive duck key, sort of scuba but tethered with a 20' air line accompanied by a certified diver. Now that was a blast being on the reef for 45 min.

For your rentl needs pick up a local brochure at most shopping places and numerous rental places thruout the keys are available.

Marathon is the place to stop for whatever supplies you will need.

Enjoy your trip.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote