Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2007, 02:21 PM   #1

There's a Florida state park with all new facilities(rebuilt after hurricane Dennis struck in 2005) on St. George Island, 75 miles SW of Tallahassee on the gulf coast. I was wondering if anyone's stayed there and has any information about other things to do or places to eat in the area.

TIA!

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2007, 02:21 PM   #2

There's a Florida state park with all new facilities(rebuilt after hurricane Dennis struck in 2005) on St. George Island, 75 miles SW of Tallahassee on the gulf coast. I was wondering if anyone's stayed there and has any information about other things to do or places to eat in the area.

TIA!

8.3L Cummins ISC
Old 01-25-2007, 04:51 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Check the Campground Reviews, I posted a review a couple of weeks ago.

We didn't look for resturants but we did go to a couple of the local seafood markets on the mainland side and got some great shrimp.

I can't remember if we visited before or after Dennis but nothing looked new.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:41 AM   #4

Florabama, could u give me a link to the Campground Reviews, please? I looked through the ones in the other section of this forum and don't see it.

TIA!

8.3L Cummins ISC
Old 01-26-2007, 05:26 AM   #5

This is a great quite getaway place. The beach which is a little ways from the campground is beautiful. Not a lot going on in this area. There are a few places to eat. Was there a couple of years ago.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:22 PM   #6

Most of the "new" facilities are in the day use area and the roadway into the park. The CG is pretty much the same as before . I do believe they redid the elec but I haven't been since the storm

https://community.webshots.com/user/flagypsy57
flagypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:19 AM   #7

St George Island state campground is nine miles of nothing but beautiful beach. The beach there has been consistently ranked as one of the top 10 beaches in America. It has all brand new beach houses on the beach.

The campground is nothing special but its nice I would say. I was hoping that they would redo it when the park was closed, but I guess it wasn't meant to be and I would venture to say that they spent near a million dollars on the two beach houses combined including the decking and parking lot with pavers and that's not to mention that the whole road (9) or more miles that had to be rebuilt. The sites are plenty big and the bath houses are nice. It depends if you have good workampers there if they are clean or not just like any state park. They do have water and electric at each site and a dumpstation your way out.

It offers some excellent shore line fishing. I guess it depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for the real Florida then this area of Florida is it.

Apalachicola
is just two bridges over and one of the most unique places I've ever gone to in Florida. Its like going back in time and it is the real Florida. The unique shops and the seafood are just wonderful there. You want find any super nice dress up restaurants there but what you will find is some of the best seafood you've ever ate and you will see what the real Florida is all about. Take a walk down water street and you can pick and choose your fresh seafood at almost any of the seafood packaging plants. It's a small fishing town and most of the people that live there are just hard working fisherman and that's all they know.

There you can order just a dozen raw oysters and a cold draft or if you choose you can buy a 50 lb burlap bag of them fresh off the boat for 22.00 a bag and shuck your own when you want them as long as you keep them iced down they will last you all week at your site. What a deal. They are known in this area for having the best oysters in the world.

Let me fill you in on a little secret here about the pets. St George Island is in Franklin county. Franklin county is one of two counties here in the panhandle that allows pets on the beaches. The other is Gulf county. Anyhow, pets are allowed in the state park just not on the beach. So this is what you dog lovers do. Up there right as you come over the big bridge as you are coming onto the Island at the stop sign turn left just like your coming to the campground as soon as you do look to your right. If you look to your right you will see a public beach access. There you go, problem solved, you can take your pets down there and let them enjoy that beautiful beach and water.., They allow dogs on a 6 foot leash or off a leash and under direct voice control. You dog lovers I know have to love that....

When it's time to eat, you can get a good meal right on the beach at the BLUE PARROT right on the Island or you can venture off to Apalachicola for a great meal. I suggest both. At the "Blue Parrot" you can order oysters, steaks, crab, fresh local shrimp and fish, char-broiled or fried. They have lunch and dinner specials and daily fresh fish specials

Indian Pass Raw Bar Be sure to check out this little place out if you get the chance. Check out thier guest book at the bottom of thier web site. Plus if you there you you might as well ride over and take a peek a St Joe state park. You might want to go there next time.

Be sure to check out my photo album, I have pictures of both St George Island and Apalachicola.

-Mark

2005 Carriage Compass 30 RLS
floridacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:57 AM   #8

Thanks for all the tips. Sounds/looks like what we were hoping for. Your description reminds me of Bodega Bay in the N. Calif. area. Will be going down on 02/23 for 4 days. Can't wait! :-) Do you know if they have wi-fi or any other internet access available at the CG on St. George?

8.3L Cummins ISC
Old 02-15-2007, 09:51 AM   #9

They do not have wi-fi and sometimes it's hard to get a cell phone signal. It depends on which site you get and the weather I guess. I've gone down and have gotten good reception then gone down and have barley gotten any reception.

Warning, stay away from the Mexican eating joint, it looks like a nice little place but their food and their margarita's are the worst I've had.

Go across the street to the Blue Parrot.

I hope it warms up for you before then as well.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:39 AM   #10

Thanks for the info and tip on avoiding the Mexican joint. I think we're going to either cook ourselves or head over to the mainland for food. We hope the weather warms up too!

8.3L Cummins ISC
Old 03-23-2007, 08:09 PM   #11

Bigred, I was wondering if you ever made it down and what did you think?

Old 03-23-2007, 10:21 PM   #12

Yes, we did make it at the end of Feb. and really enjoyed our trip. It was a little tough getting reservations. We had to wait an extra week to get a Fri-Mon stay but it was worth it. It's a very laid back area compared to other parts of Florida. The state park is very clean and the surroundings are amazingly natural. At that time of year, there was hardly anyone there except for the permanent resisdents and the campers. We went on hikes on the beach and on nature trails, went to nature talks given by the park rangers, shell hunting, that kind of thing. We went to Appalachacola to eat at the Boss Oyster. It's a mom and pop kind of seafood place. They have good shore line fishing and oyster catching there too, but we didn't have time. We'd go again for sure.

8.3L Cummins ISC